Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Phish?

Aside from the scene itself, Phish and Dead are very, very different musically speaking. The early years have way more Zappa influence than anything by the Dead. Dissonance and odd time sigs abound. Trey can be an amazing composer on his best days, although not all of it is great and there are newer albums and shows I've never heard. Also, when these guys are locked in an improv and its working, they can be stunning. I actually hear more Krautrock in Phish than anything by The Dead or other shit.

These other so-called jam bands seem to be jam band-by-numbers to me, derivative and not nearly as good as Phish, who I think are in a category in their own. Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Aside from the scene itself, Phish and Dead are very, very different musically speaking. The early years have way more Zappa influence than anything by the Dead. Dissonance and odd time sigs abound. Trey can be an amazing composer on his best days, although not all of it is great and there are newer albums and shows I've never heard. Also, when these guys are locked in an improv and its working, they can be stunning. I actually hear more Krautrock in Phish than anything by The Dead or other shit.

These other so-called jam bands seem to be jam band-by-numbers to me, derivative and not nearly as good as Phish, who I think are in a category in their own. Imo.
    My feelings, exactly.

I've got friends who love these guys, but I'm pretty lukewarm on them. I have A Picture Of Nectar and Slip Stich And Pass, and they're alright, but they haven't been played in years. I've seen them live with friends who are fans a number of times, but the first was without said friends (before they broke) in 1994 opening for Santana at Blossom.

I much prefer the Grateful Dead, and the bands I mentioned above -Max Creek, Goose and Juggling Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've got friends who love these guys, but I'm pretty lukewarm on them. I have A Picture Of Nectar and Slip Stich And Pass, and they're alright, but they haven't been played in years. I've seen them live with friends who are fans a number of times, but the first was without said friends (before they broke) in 1994 opening for Santana at Blossom.

I much prefer the Grateful Dead, and the bands I mentioned above -Max Creek, Goose and Juggling Suns.
    I do really like Infrared Roses - the 'spaces' are full of things I dig
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

It seems like we're now in a clearly defined "this is what jams bands sound like" territory with the newer bands. I don't actively follow any jam bands these days (and stopped buying Phish albums several years ago), but I've periodically checked out some YouTube videos of a couple bands and I can enjoy them just based on the skills of individual musicians. My interest was somewhat renewed due to my son playing in a jam band a few years ago.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It seems like we're now in a clearly defined "this is what jams bands sound like" territory with the newer bands. I don't actively follow any jam bands these days (and stopped buying Phish albums several years ago), but I've periodically checked out some YouTube videos of a couple bands and I can enjoy them just based on the skills of individual musicians. My interest was somewhat renewed due to my son playing in a jam band a few years ago.
    That's cool man. I've been going back and enjoying the creamcheese out of the 93 and 94 LivePhish albums so far...outstanding sonics and every show is pretty different, even with the same tunes.

I tried Umphreys and a few of those other bands but I can't get on board - the writing doesn't really interest me.

That's cool man. I've been going back and enjoying the creamcheese out of the 93 and 94 LivePhish albums so far...outstanding sonics and every show is pretty different, even with the same tunes.

I tried Umphreys and a few of those other bands but I can't get on board - the writing doesn't really interest me.
    Totally understandable! I've watched a few more recent Phish shows (or excerpts thereof) and I think, as a live unit, they've only gotten better with time. I have wondered if they prepare for their tours by doing the various improvisational exercises they used to do back in the day or if it's now just understood and organic. That seems like something that might separate the men from the boys in the jam band world.
    <sig out of order>