Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Phish?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Well, there is no shortage of 3.0 shows on the top 100 list (even some 2.0 made it too), so in general the fanbase apparently appreciate their contemporary incarnation. And I think it's great that they love it, despite all my reservations. But I can perfectly understand when someone from the outside finds their modern jamming "samey" or uneventful. That's my impression too. And I love the old improvisations from the 1.0 era.
    Few things going on here that’s likely to skew the scoring. First of all, the availability of a perfectly mixed, multi-track recording within hours of a show that had a lot of online hyperbole drove the “legend” of this show pretty quickly. You didn’t have that in the 1.0/2.0 days of the band where you had to wait for cassettes/DATs/CDRs to enter the trading circles and be disseminated through the trading community which could take weeks or months for widespread opinions based on hearing it to form and be published. The turnaround time here is far faster and with a much younger, social media savvy audience who have access to far cleaner/clearer recordings and more mature self-publishing platforms. Also, long jams have always been (for some bizarre reason) a “hallmark of quality”, a notion amplified significantly ever since the “Tahoe Tweezer” and in this case the long jams were attributed to a couple of songs that have historically been short, composed and without any jamming whatsoever, instantly catapulting them into “best ever” status. Additionally, given that older fans have tended to complain that the band don’t take as many risks as they used to, any time they deviate from the norm its a cause for those fans to celebrate. And younger fans who never got to see some of the legendary 1.0 shows when they were (in my humble opinion) truly firing on all cylinders, taking risks and combining some of the best elements of prog, jambands, country, bluegrass and classic rock are experiencing current shows and having their own magical experiences that are no less special to them than mine were to me back in the day. But the platforms for sharing both music and opinions in a more organized way weren’t as mature back then as they are now so current shows are more likely to attract attention/voting/ranking than folks going back in time to listen to older shows and apply a critical eye towards them.
    I’ve listened to some of the MSG run and the band is playing rather well. They don’t move me quite the same as the 1.0 era, but that says as much about me, my life and my ears as it does about them. They’re certainly not for everyone, and I still think most prog fans would be more musically impressed with Umphrey’s McGee or some of the next ten jambands like Tauk, Twiddle or Dopapod, but there’s still nothing quite like a Phish show. Certainly worth experiencing once. I've got 99 shows under my belt and have paused on going to any more at this point unless either of my kids are interested. I'm unlikely to have an experience like I had at the Capitol Theater in 92 or witness legendary shows like Glens Falls 10/31/94, The Island Tour 98 or MSG 12/29/97 again.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

I've been to over a hundred shows, including 5 of the last 6 at MSG (3 more to go for me including the final one on Sunday)
    and last Tuesday's jam filled show was one of the best ever. Last night's is up there as well and it might get more votes for tops by fans due to the Jimmy/Harpua effect. Also, last Wednesday's was great too. They are taking their time with everything, no repeats this run, and we Garden phans are loving it. Great attendance as well, this coming final weekend is sold-out. Phans have been flying in from around the world even to catch one or two of these momentous shows.

30+ minute Lawn Boy...are you fucking kidding me!!!??? Took me to a place I never thought Phish could do for me again all these years later.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Live from Dick's Sporting Goods Park 9/3/17-free stream of the entire show live from Commerce City, CO starting at 7:30PM MST Sunday night.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember they streamed a show last Labor Day Weekend.

09/01/2017 - "Carini", Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Denver, CO.

Dick's Sporting Goods Park. LOL.

I'm still hoping for the Anusol Center.

Someone out there take one for the team and buy this! 36-disk, $500 box set:

https://drygoods.phish.com/product/P...?cp=773_101784

Paging John Kerman...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Someone out there take one for the team and buy this! 36-disk, $500 box set:

https://drygoods.phish.com/product/P...?cp=773_101784

Paging John Kerman...
    Oh come on, you know darn well you're going to buy it. You have every limited edition box set of music ever made don't you? Don't break your streak now. How's that 24 disc box o' country doing?

I'd rather see Beardphish
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

New fake Scandinavian lost prog album "covered" by Phish.

https://www.spin.com/2018/11/phish-k...-listen/?amp=1

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    New fake Scandinavian lost prog album "covered" by Phish.

https://www.spin.com/2018/11/phish-k...-listen/?amp=1
    Thanks! This was a pretty cool idea, but I'm not sure if it makes sense that the band name and album title are in some Scandinavian language (maybe!), but the song titles and lyrics are all in English. Also, Trey couldn't really sound less Scandinavian. I think they should have done something all instrumental, with bogus Scandinavian song titles.

Still, a lot of work to do this, so kudos to them.

Thanks! This was a pretty cool idea, but I'm not sure if it makes sense that the band name and album title are in some Scandinavian language (maybe!), but the song titles and lyrics are all in English. Also, Trey couldn't really sound less Scandinavian. I think they should have done something all instrumental, with bogus Scandinavian song titles.

Still, a lot of work to do this, so kudos to them.
    Yeah, I agree with all of that Jed.

Judging from the first few songs at least, nothing to do with prog. Basically typical recent Phish songs with even goofier lyrics than usual. It was a great stunt though.

Wow, Phish fandom seems to have gotten pretty wacky - maybe Dead fandom was similar, but I don't know. Apparently there are different types of jams in Phish songs, Type I, Type II, "zero" (I think). All kinds of terminology people need to learn about. This is just from a quick look at the Phish sub-Reddit.

Check out this page on Jamming Types on Phish.net if you dare:

https://www.phish.net/faq/jamming-types

Phish fandom seems to have gotten pretty wacky - maybe Dead fandom was similar, but I don't know. Apparently there are different types of jams in Phish songs, Type I, Type II, "zero" (I think). All kinds of terminology people need to learn about.
    Oh it hasn’t gotten that way, it’s always been that way. The jamming “types” have been discussed for the last 15 years with plenty of arguing about what constitutes Type II vs Type III but I’d argue that no one needs to learn about any of it. Enjoy the music and as you come up the Phish learning curve, if that kind of thing interests you there are plenty of Phish resources to help you get it all sorted.
    The Dead were wacky in their own way but they weren’t a band of the Internet era so the obsessiveness of the fanbase had fewer places to organize (Deadbase books and a couple of fanzines largely) in their formative years. Then again, you want obsessive, head over to allthings.umphreys.com and sign up for an account to put in the shows you’ve seen...you can generate all sorts of stats about what songs you’ve seen most/least, breakout potential for a cover, days of the week...pretty cool stuff. Phish has similar over at the International House of ZZYZX (don’t have link handy but used to be ihoz.com)
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    The Dead were wacky in their own way but they weren’t a band of the Internet era so the obsessiveness of the fanbase had fewer places to organize (Deadbase books and a couple of fanzines largely) in their formative years.
    True. The most obsessive I've seen Deadheads is in the huge cassette collections with beautifully illustrated inserts!

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Thanks for posting that!! So cool. You might remember me mentioning I was friends with him when I was in college, before he'd gone to college himself and founded Phish. I have a few interesting stories, but now that he's in politics I'll just say that I remember introducing him to Marillion and Roy Harper (not sure they stuck, but he was blown away by them at the time). But he introduced me to some interesting music as well. This made my day.

Thanks for posting that!! So cool. You might remember me mentioning I was friends with him when I was in college, before he'd gone to college himself and founded Phish. I have a few interesting stories, but now that he's in politics I'll just say that I remember introducing him to Marillion and Roy Harper (not sure they stuck, but he was blown away by them at the time). But he introduced me to some interesting music as well. This made my day.
    Coolness!

I do remember you saying that, JL.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Picked up a new triple vinyl Junta. Looks like this a true AAA issue. This release was created from the original stereo master reels with lacquers cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

My fav studio Phish album, although I haven't heard any of the new ones.

Picked up a new triple vinyl Junta. Looks like this a true AAA issue. This release was created from the original stereo master reels with lacquers cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

My fav studio Phish album, although I haven't heard any of the new ones.
    I love Junta! Lawn Boy and Rift are among my faves too.
    This is one of their proggiest tunes, but it's inside an album that I don't really like...

^ outstanding! Lawn Boy is probably my other favorite as well. Nectar was good too.

^ outstanding! Lawn Boy is probably my other favorite as well. Nectar was good too.
    You cannot love a band who starts a concert, after two hours decides to cover the whole White Album and then finishes the show with another hour of show (and Smells Like Teen Spirit as an encore)