Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Jazz Guitar

Acoustic Jazz Guitar

Aside from the classics like Reinhardt, Green, Montgomery, Burrell; who would the knowledgeable folks pf PE recommend. Preferably from the 50s up to present time. Thanks.

Edit: I should have included Metheny to the list above.
    Last edited by Yves; 07-27-2015 at 08:33 AM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

the Rosenberg trio

Subscribing to this, as I love this kind of stuff.

Great thread idea, Yves.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sylvain Luc.This guy is just plain crazy good!

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Subscribing to this, as I love this kind of stuff.

Great thread idea, Yves.
    I've been up and down with Jazz over the past 20 years. Lately I have had the urge to listen to and possibly buy more, but I'm kind of "saxed out" at the moment. I put together a playlist of the acoustic guitar players I own and found it sorely lacking. I'm hoping to use this thread to beef it up a little.

I should note that I'm not looking for virtuosos, as I am not a fan of virtuosity in any form.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Aside from the classics like Reinhardt, Green, Montgomery, Burrell; who would the knowledgeable folks pf PE recommend. .
    If you're including these heavyweights, you might want to check out Joe Pass and Jim Hall.

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Boulou & Elios Ferré on Portuguese TV

Spencer Barefield
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Michael Gregory Jackson

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A lot of the above-mentioned players were electric guitarists (Montgomery, Burrell, Hall, Pass).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A lot of the above-mentioned players were electric guitarists (Montgomery, Burrell, Hall, Pass).
    But they play(ed) hollow-bodies.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I should note that I'm not looking for virtuosos, as I am not a fan of virtuosity in any form.
    Well, it's kind of hard to be a jazz guitar player and NOT be a virtuoso, at least to some extent. Django, Wes and particularly Metheny were all considered to be virtuosos.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    If you're including these heavyweights, you might want to check out Joe Pass and Jim Hall.
    Yes, particularly Jim Hall, who was a very "organic" player who had chops but was the least likely to do anything that anybody would consider to be "showing off." I haven't heard all of his albums, but of the ones I have, this is my favorite:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yep. Some of the "big box" players played soft enough to be able to blend the acoustic sounds with the electric ones, but even Django eventually moved to electric guitar.

Your fellow countryman, Ed Bickert never got the recognition he deserved, but he's a very tasty guitar player. He somehow makes a Telecaster sound like a big archtop guitar.

One more by John McLaughlin.I have this cd and i highly recommend.

Lenny Breau. Hands down Lenny Breau is the greatest guitarist you've never heard of. Some of his recordings are on electric guitar but if it's acoustic you seek, he's done those too.

Maybe not straight jazz, but this German duo made two records in the late 70s for the Mood Records label.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Lenny Breau. Hands down Lenny Breau is the greatest guitarist you've never heard of. Some of his recordings are on electric guitar but if it's acoustic you seek, he's done those too.
    I saw him live about 2 weeks before his mysterious death. He sounded like a piano player, somehow managing to "comp" chords while he was playing single note lines... amazing! And if he didn't invent those cascading harp harmonics, he was certainly the first master of them. I think one reason he wasn't as widely recognized was that he played country music as well as jazz... and you know how those musical segregationists can be. Also, like Bickert, he was Canadian. I don't know many guitar players who aren't hip to Lenny, but most jazz instrumentalists who aren't guitar players have never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Boulou & Elios Ferré on Portuguese TV
    Never heard of those guys, but they're quite good! The tune they start playing at around 9:26, "Donna Lee" (which nobody can figure out if it was really written by Miles Davis or Charlie Parker) is one that I practice at least once a week. It's a chops buster! You could even hear those guys struggling when they try to play it in unison.

Breau didn't have it together personally to have any kind of focused, successful career. He had drug problems throughout his short life. I have a little known record called Minors Aloud that he recorded with Buddy Emmons.

I cannot recommend strongly enough: Tal Farlow (who was a personal friend of mine when we both taught GTR at Blue Note Music in Long Branch NJ back in the early '80's)

Also strongly 2nd Lenny Breau: He taught a Master Class at GIT when I attended. His ENTIRE approach to the GTR is unreal. Comping/melodies, harmonics...just other-worldly.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I cannot recommend strongly enough: Tal Farlow (who was a personal friend of mine when we both taught GTR at Blue Note Music in Long Branch NJ back in the early '80's)

Also strongly 2nd Lenny Breau: He taught a Master Class at GIT when I attended. His ENTIRE approach to the GTR is unreal. Comping/melodies, harmonics...just other-worldly.
    Lenny and Tal together:

Lenny demonstrating how he could sound like two guitar players at once (and without tapping like Stanley Jordan):

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Never heard of those guys, but they're quite good! The tune they start playing at around 9:26, "Donna Lee" (which nobody can figure out if it was really written by Miles Davis or Charlie Parker) is one that I practice at least once a week. It's a chops buster! You could even hear those guys struggling when they try to play it in unison.
    French, of Romani origin, got semi-famous doing music in Django Reinhardt style. They still play but are more relaxed (sloppy?) now - having fun? There are some videos on the tube with them.

Another french guy is Birelli Lagrene you might know him - he is a good technician.

Hollow body:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2MO8jpDC1s

Acoustic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfQN8-tVlQ

That Tal/Lenny video....holy shit. Shared that on FB just now. One of the most smokin' Cherokee's I've ever heard..and smokin' fast, too!