Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quella Vecchia Locanda - 2 very different but great albums

Great albums!

The second release is in my Top 5 of Italian Prog albums ever!

oh, that stereo panning on the debut is quite crappy and as you say, dated. I fixed it when I did my personal remasters.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I love Il tempo della gioia, it’s an album of lovely mystery. In that PFM style of gently orchestrated symphonic rock, but it has much of its own feel. It’s a very haunting album, and it has a breathtaking beauty. Like a lot of Italian albums, it has a very profound classical influence that a lot of prog bands from elsewhere just lack. After being disappointed by the heavily hyped Celeste album, I have to say, this is a lot more of what I expected to hear. Another Italian obscurity that I never get tired of hearing.

Still have not heard the first. Apparently, it’s a completely different animal.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

here's my remastered (and reconstituted) work of the piece which fades down at the end of side 1 and fades back in at the beginning of side 2

http://mfi.re/listen/36e4eeo22sy4c1c...e-Il_Cieco.mp3
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER

heh... yeah, the Italians are notorious for churning out 35 minute albums when every other artist in the world at the time were making 40+ minute albums
    Some of those RPIs are actually 30-35 minutes and not counting. And I'm quite fine with it. Serge Gainsbourg's Melody Nelson was brilliant at barely 28, and he was French.

BTW; I think there were lots of great Italian rock vocalists with both timbre and relative technique in the 70s.
    there a few Italian albums less than 30-mins long, but it seems that this was indeed more frequent a happening in France.

BTW, UK and US albums averaged 40 minutes, but were not systematically above 40.

Elton John lost a trial when his contract-closinfg album was made fromless than 15-mins aside of fillers. US Court ruled that an Lp had to be at least one half-hour long. Elton just quickly wrote two other fillers, recorded them and that was that. End of contract.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    here's my remastered (and reconstituted) work of the piece which fades down at the end of side 1 and fades back in at the beginning of side 2

http://mfi.re/listen/36e4eeo22sy4c1c...e-Il_Cieco.mp3
    awesome, thanks for sharing!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

CCR were a great example of what a band could do with 15-16 minutes a side (on the first 3 albums, anyway.)

All killer, no filler, not a single note wasted.

Original QVL violin player Donald Lax is living in Hawaii and is still active musically. Here's his webpage: http://www.mauiviolin.com/

He's available for weddings. Now that would make for a cool Prog wedding!

This has turned into a very interesting thread for me, because of the difference of opinion on the two and what people perceive

The second is certainly in a style I typically enjoy, but I just don't find the songs that strong or hear the magic others seem to

I don't hear a lot of the "flaws" in the first one either

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    awesome, thanks for sharing!
    you're welcome bro

and, as for all of my digital remasters, the source is pristine glorious sounding vinyl with all the heavenly nuance of sound only obtainable through a high quality stylus and turntable