Thread: Toto XIV

Toto XIV

I have a ticket to see Yes & Toto at Prudential Hall in Newark, NJ, on Saturday, August 8, 2015. I see that Toto has a new album out. I was considering buying it in an effort to get ready for the show. How is the new Toto album? Is it worthy of purchasing? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

'Toto XIV' is another great Toto album, imo. The lyrics are more mature on this album than on any other record of their discography. I'd suggest buying the deluxe edition as its booklet is different from the standard jewel case edition and it has some great notes/commentary about each song and they explain the conscious effort of writing better lyrics as it has always been a criticism raised by both fans and detractors of the band. The standout tracks are (imo) "Burn" (my favorite song on the album), "Holy War", and "Unknown Soldier (For Jeffrey)". The last track "Great Expectations" is proggy. I'd say, if you like Toto, go for it.

My favourite album of the year so far. A bit harder-edged than the previous Joseph Williams efforts. Can't disagree with Gerardo on the standouts. Burn would have been a smash hit back in the good old days but there's nothing you'd want to scrape off with a hot chisel.

Saw Toto in concert a couple of months ago & they did play a whole bunch of songs from XIV. I reckon you'll want it by the end of the show in any event so why not pick it up now!

I like it, though not as much as their previous album, Falling in Between. Joseph Williams is by far a better vocalist than Bobby Kimball, IMO, but this album is a little too Paich-oriented, compared to FiB, which seems more Lukather-oriented.

The band seems to want to position this as a successor to Toto IV, and I'm not sure if I'd go that route, but it's a fine follow-up to their last album with Williams - The Seventh One. As the ferret says, they're apparently playing a lot of this during their shows, so it's not a bad idea to familiarize yourself with it before you go.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I pretty much feel the same as I do most Toto albums that I own. About half of it I really really like, and about half of it I don’t care for. Toto has always been a frustrating band for me. They are capable of great material, but they have never made an album that I thought was good from start to finish. This album would be the same. There are some great individual tracks on this one though.

I hear what you're saying but when you think about it, a band that consistently produces half a good album has a far better track record than most bands in the long run!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    XIV is pretty good, but I liked "Falling in Between" more.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I hear what you're saying but when you think about it, a band that consistently produces half a good album has a far better track record than most bands in the long run!
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    XIV is pretty good, but I liked "Falling in Between" more.

I would agree, I liked “Falling” a bit better than the new one as well overall.