Thread: Hot Tormato: A Fictional Yes Tribute Band

Hot Tormato: A Fictional Yes Tribute Band

Fictional Yes tribute band Hot Tormato makes a brief cameo appearance in my Fortean farce novel, The Billionth Monkey. For the scene in question, I obtained permission to quote lyrics for a medley of Yes's "Arriving UFO" with Klaatu's "Calling Occupants." In addition, the band has a small virtual presence at hottormato.com, where you'll discover that Hot Tormato has experienced career ups and downs very similar to the band to which they pay tribute...albeit on a smaller scale. Die-hard proggers will also spot references to Yes lyrics and other obscura. Think "Spinal Tap meets Yes bar band."

Trivia: The members of Hot Tormato have their prog bona fides, being portrayed on the website by musicians who are fellow fans of the genre. For example, I played keyboards in Detroit's House of Usher, appeared on tribute CDs to ELP, Gentle Giant & PFM, and contributed guest keys to the new release by Celestial Serenity. Hot Tormato's drummer in real life has a recording career spanning twenty years between Tiles and House of Usher. And the band's roadie was in fact Starcastle's roadie during the 1970s.

I hope it brings a smile upon your face.

[Please excuse the promotional post; one of the admins said it would be okay.]

Richard
    Hot Tormato banner 2 cropped 400 px W small.jpg

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Funny.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Yeah thats funny I would have loved to see one member (just one) who came from a Bubblegum or Boy Band background trying to justify his musicianship

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    The bassplayer isn't playing a Rick? Sacrilege!!!
    Yeah, the bass player in the photo also lamented that he didn't own a Rickenbacker. I guess the rag-tag weekend warriors in Hot Tormato aren't as gear-authentic as The Musical Box.

Quote Originally Posted by rkaczynski View Post
    Yeah, the bass player in the photo also lamented that he didn't own a Rickenbacker. I guess the rag-tag weekend warriors in Hot Tormato aren't as gear-authentic as The Musical Box.
    It would bring more complaints from the roadies I suppose. Moving a real Hammond and a real Mellotron is not really easy.

It would bring more complaints from the roadies I suppose. Moving a real Hammond and a real Mellotron is not really easy.
    Indeed, I'm grateful that my days of gigging with a B-3 and Leslie are behind me. Sad to say I've never had the pleasure of lugging around a Mellotron!

Quote Originally Posted by rkaczynski View Post
    Indeed, I'm grateful that my days of gigging with a B-3 and Leslie are behind me. Sad to say I've never had the pleasure of lugging around a Mellotron!
    The only instrument I ever carried was a Roland model 101 synthesizer.

The only instrument I ever carried was a Roland model 101 synthesizer.
    Nice! It's definitely a classic.

Any of those HoU CDs left and available for purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Any of those HoU CDs left and available for purchase?
    I think I can scare one up. PM me if you'd like and I'll hook you up.