Thread: Prague music venues and record stores

Prague music venues and record stores

I'm going to Prague for one week in August. Would be happy for some tips on good music stores and/or places where they use to have interesting artists playing.
    If you know some internet site or other source where I can search for concerts outside the mainstream, that would also be very much appreciated.

I was there with the same mission in 2014. I only had time to check out one shop, and Poli5 Rekomondo and Happy Feet were too far away, so I walked from Kaprova St to a shop that seems to be called Phono.cz now. It was mostly a good selection of used CDs at that time. Looks like all vinyl now.
    Opatovická 256/24, Praha 1.
    There's a huge Czech Indie and Folk music scene now. Check out www.indies.eu for lots of Czech music, but they are in Brno. Good luck.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    But what is Prague?

I've always wanted to buy some Prog in Prague (and have some tasty food & beer too).

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    But what is Prague?
    Prague can be whatever you want it to be (unless you are a symph weenie).

Found this, which is some distance away from Prague. Looks like a kind og hippie festival with loads of bands.
    http://www.festivaltrutnov.cz/bands

Wouldn't mind seeing:
    Iva Bittova & Cikori
    Plastic People of the Universe (didn't know they are still active)

Is anyone familiar with the other artists?

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    Found this, which is some distance away from Prague. Looks like a kind og hippie festival with loads of bands.
    http://www.festivaltrutnov.cz/bands

Wouldn't mind seeing:
    Iva Bittova & Cikori
    Plastic People of the Universe (didn't know they are still active)

Is anyone familiar with the other artists?
    UŽ JSME DOMA are also very interesting. Somewhat punkish RIO with lots of other influences.

...and of course Gojira (Godzilla) are a French extreme tech prog metal band.

In the Mústek metro station (if you searc a little there) there is an AWESOME record store called Bontonland. They had all the Jethro Tull box sets etc etc etc.....
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    I'm going to Prague for one week in August. Would be happy for some tips on good music stores and/or places where they use to have interesting artists playing.
    If you know some internet site or other source where I can search for concerts outside the mainstream, that would also be very much appreciated.
    Debbie (pooh73) should be able to tell you more, she's pretty well familiat with the CZ and Slovakia
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    UŽ JSME DOMA are also very interesting. Somewhat punkish RIO with lots of other influences.

Wow this looks like a great festival!
    Each time I am in Prague I check if there are any shows by Uz Jsme Doma, Iva Bittova or PPU.
    Also in this festival - Pavel Fajt (great drummer and Bittova longtime collaborator)
    DG307 (a band from the same underground scene as PPU, with almost the same legendary status, did not know they were still active )

While you are in Czech Republic, stop in on one of the last remaining vinyl pressing plants for some samples . ..
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/07/wo...html?ref=music
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org