Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jobson and UK News

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    That said, some of the comments on here seem to criticize him beyond his music or lack of musical output and that is what I have never understood.
    Please point directly to the comments in question, and why there's a reason for you to insinuate or suspect the contents there to express anything but what they actually say. And why should opinions be withheld when they are versed opinions? Suppose these voices are folks who perhaps initially thought as positively as you do - but now feel differently? Is this what "PE is", as you so laconically state - people who think fundamentally different from yourself, and who are somehow obliged to make you understand them?

Many of us have got the UK full discography, CDs or vinyl. We're not too taken by yet another "version" of those. A LOT of stuff has happened in creative rock music since then, some of it even revolutionary (oh, dread!), and this is what many will spend their dough on now - things that are actually happening as we speak. If Jobson had been out there, actively creating and producing new music, then things might have been different. But so far he's not, while others are.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I hope after the rerereleases a new soloalbum.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Please point directly to the comments in question, and why there's a reason for you to insinuate or suspect the contents there to express anything but what they actually say. And why should opinions be withheld when they are versed opinions? Suppose these voices are folks who perhaps initially thought as positively as you do - but now feel differently? Is this what "PE is", as you so laconically state - people who think fundamentally different from yourself, and who are somehow obliged to make you understand them?

Many of us have got the UK full discography, CDs or vinyl. We're not too taken by yet another "version" of those. A LOT of stuff has happened in creative rock music since then, some of it even revolutionary (oh, dread!), and this is what many will spend their dough on now - things that are actually happening as we speak. If Jobson had been out there, actively creating and producing new music, then things might have been different. But so far he's not, while others are.
    I will leave it for you to go through the history of PE as it relates to Eddie Jobson, but suffice to say that it took 4 posts on this thread for a critical comment and the 9th post (not by me), stating "let the Eddie bashing begin". There is a history of it on PE, so I state that as fact and based on my own experience with EJ, I don't get it. I am certainly not asking for opinions to be withheld, but I do disagree with some of them and others, dare I say, I feel that the poster has their head clearly up their you know what. This is a public forum though and people can say what they want and you and I both can agree or disagree. I don't disagree with your comments about EJ's musical output as I too believe that Eddie could have released much more material than he has. It seems a shame that things are still so focused on UK. Something tells me that the guy has a ton of unreleased music in his vaults.

To your initial comments, I am not saying that everyone should be as universally positive as me. I had two very positive experiences meeting EJ and others have said the same. There have been negative comments made historically about Eddie on here that have nothing to do with him regurgitating the UK discography. Lastly, I tend to find myself explaining or defending my comments to you quite a bit and I guess I would say that I believe there is a feature on PE that allows you to turn off people's posts. If my comments are not to your liking, I won't be offended if you utilize the function.
    Last edited by Patelena396; 07-23-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Jon Anderson involved?

Has anyone heard a rumor that Eddie is working on the Pink album sequel to Green in secret??

I wish he did.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Has anyone heard a rumor that Eddie is working on the Pink album sequel to Green in secret??
    He finished it in the 90's but shelved it, deeming it unworthy of release.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

^ I thought that was a UK album he shelved, not Pink.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

^ Oh yeah, you are correct. The one with the women's choir appearing on it. I thought I had heard parts of a new Zinc were begun too and shelved.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    ^ Oh yeah, you are correct. The one with the women's choir appearing on it. I thought I had heard parts of a new Zinc were begun too and shelved.
    Perhaps you are thinking of Theme of Mystery, the followup to Theme of Secrets.

http://www.zealotslounge.com/music

http://users.sussex.ac.uk/~ronc/itdo...an/jobson.html

But sharing the keyboard kind of diluted my role in the band. I basically lost interest because of that. I wasn't doing that just to be in YES or just to be a rock star again. So I decided not to do it. That's when I went to Private Music because I was still looking for outlets. New Age at that time seemed quite healthy. They didn't have commercial pressure compared to big labels. Peter Baumann and some other people tried to get me on the label for some time. And I ended up doing that. I did two records (Piano One and Theme Of Secrets).

Then I ended up moving to Caribbean Island Of Montserrat in 1987. I went to make another record for Private Music. It was going to be follow-up album. I took all my synclavier system down and set up in a villa in the Islands. I went to George Martin's Air Studio in Montserrat and flew down John Punter who was the engineer on Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry and also on Danger Money album. He lived in Canada. And I actually made a record. I was trying to expand out from what New Age was becoming because New Age was starting to become...again rather limiting and become stigmatized. But unfortunately the record company and I were going in different directions. I was trying to make it deeper, more film-making and much darker. But record company was trying to make their label...in my opinion more commercial. When they started, Private Music was going to be something different from Windham Hill. It wasn't going to be running water, but it was going to be something deeper than that. That's why I was interested in doing it. I knew they were going to sign Jerry Goodman as well and even Patrick O'hearn. It was a good line of people. I thought everything was going to be a lot deeper. It was much darker album than Theme Of Secrets. But they were basically giving me the same pressure as all the big major labels. They wanted me to change the album. They thought it was too deep and too uncommercial.

Art Rock: So there was disagreement between you and the company.....

Jobson: Yeah, so I basically refused to change it. It would've been a good record. I ended up buying the record myself. I just put it on the shelf. It never got released.

So that was it. That was 1987. And I ended up staying in Montserrat for 3 years. (laughs) So that took me through about first five years basically from the Theme Of Secrets, you know. (laughs)

Nah, I'm talking about something going on now. Like I said, just a rumor. It's supposed to be top secret. Probably nonsense though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Jobson View Post
    When they started, Private Music was going to be something different from Windham Hill. It wasn't going to be running water, but it was going to be something deeper than that. That's why I was interested in doing it. I knew they were going to sign Jerry Goodman as well and even Patrick O'hearn. It was a good line of people. I thought everything was going to be a lot deeper. It was much darker album than Theme Of Secrets. But they were basically giving me the same pressure as all the big major labels. They wanted me to change the album. They thought it was too deep and too uncommercial.
    I remember following the label at that time - I was all over this label, enjoying not just Eddie's release, but O'Hearn, Jerry Goodman, Suzanne Ciani....even Yanni's early releases. Then all of a sudden there did seem to be a shift with the label releasing albums by Leo Kottke, Nona Hendryx, Taj Mahal, Leon Redbone, and others.

Did they ever shoot video of that last tour? A quality concert vid would be nice, considering the Reunion DVD is sub par.
    I do like the idea of a full Night After Night CD.

I was really into O'Hearn's first several Private Music releases, as well as the Goodman stuff. In fact I was at the taping of "It's Alive" at Park West. I'd love for Eddie to release that shelved album AND a top secret new project!

"Legacy" was the mid-1990s U.K. reboot with Jobson and Wetton. Guesting were Bruford on drums and Steve Hackett and Francis Dunnery on guitar. The Bulgarian women's Choir was also involved as the project lyrically dealt with the aftermath of communism's fall. IIRC, Eddie and John had a falling out, and John's vocals and bass were wiped. I do remember reading about one track called "Deep in the Night." The project languished for so long afterwards that Eddie felt the concept had grown stale, although he said there's some good music.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    "Legacy" was the mid-1990s U.K. reboot with Jobson and Wetton. Guesting were Bruford on drums and Steve Hackett and Francis Dunnery on guitar. The Bulgarian women's Choir was also involved as the project lyrically dealt with the aftermath of communism's fall. IIRC, Eddie and John had a falling out, and John's vocals and bass were wiped.
    Wasn't Levin brought in at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    The project languished for so long afterwards that Eddie felt the concept had grown stale, although he said there's some good music.
    I believe that was the project that led to, or was somehow connected to Jobson producing an album for the Bulgarian Women's Choir, which features several pieces written by him, and appearances by Bruford, Tony Levin, and Jobson himself.
    http://www.relayer35.com/Yescography/voicesoflife.htm

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Jobson: Yeah, so I basically refused to change it. It would've been a good record. I ended up buying the record myself. I just put it on the shelf. It never got released.
    I would buy it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I would buy it
    For what it's worth, so would I.

For me, he's one of my favorite musicians. I was unprepared and completely blown away when I heard UK for the first time. One of the first prog bands I heard, and as a beginning musician it was extremely influential.

That being said, for me the "bug" I have is the unrealized potential. The lack of output. After UK I was anxiously awaiting what's next. Then there was Zinc, which I really liked and then........... <insert crickets here>. When I finally heard he was returning with UKZ after I had all but written off ever hearing any new material he releases....an EP. And while I'm thrilled he put UK back on the road a bit, his next venture is remastering UK.

To me, nothing more frustrating the a supremely talented player not releasing more new material. Yes, he's doing what he wants to support his family. That's great. But he's kind of like the Harper Lee of music. Years of silence, then A RETURN, and then..........

Just my 2 cents.
    I can only agree with that.

I wish his music was more easy available, in a brick and mortar store on with the online-shop I use. I don't have a credit-card and don't do Paypal which limits my possibilities and means there are some artists, whose work I can't buy.

The lack of output. After UK I was anxiously awaiting what's next. Then there was Zinc, which I really liked and then........... <insert crickets here>. When I finally heard he was returning with UKZ after I had all but written off ever hearing any new material he releases....an EP.

Years of silence, then A RETURN, and then...........
    "Lack of output"? "Years of silence"? Not really.

After UK, he contributed to Tull's "A" and toured with them.

After Zinc, he did Theme of Secrets, three pieces on Piano One, and recorded a second album, but there was a disagreement with the record company so it was not released.

He did a piece for the demo CD for the Korg 01/W.

Then, he did music for commercials. You may not like that, but he didn't stop making music.

He composed music for an episode of "Tribeca" and appeared on an episode as "Bad Folk Singer".

He composed the theme song and scored four episodes of "Viper"

He tried to reform UK and even though that fell through some material appeared on the Bulgarian Womens Choir.

He scored 92 episodes of "Nash Bridges" (1500 musical cues) and a TV movie, "Women vs. Men".

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So you have the albums of that stuff?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.