Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED CD - Frank Zappa : Hot Rats

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Even though released many years apart, I always found that "One Size Fits All" was a lot like "Hot Rats".
    mainly because of the wesome Inca Roads & Po-Jama (though I wish the album had been more instrumental), but it's a MOI album, not a FZ solo thing
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Got it.
    The cover says 2008 source 1969 analog master. Zappa Records.
    Is this the original version?

I believe so. I think the CD used the same master done for a vinyl reissue of the original mix in 2008.

The only previous releases of the CD are the remix.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Love this album...definitely, a dessert album for myself!.

Peaches en regalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Got it.
    The cover says 2008 source 1969 analog master. Zappa Records.
    Is this the original version?
    That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    That's it.
    I thought so. It sounded quite dry and I heard a real bass.

Alas the information on the musicians playing is a bit limited. I think I miss several musicians. According to allmusic there are more musicians and some also play instruments not mentioned in the booklet. I wonder what is the right line-up.

Into FZ in a big way so I could be the only freak who has never liked Hot Rats. I like the version of Peaches on Tinseltown Rebellion, but never could get into Hot Rats
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

well, I'm not absolutely sure, but there could be a schism of FZ fans between those who think he's funny and like his sense of humor omnipresent in his lyrics and then the fans who think he was a genius of a Rock music composer but find his lyrical content peurile at best.

dunno
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I way prefer his music to his lyrics, but he is really funny and witty at times.
    e.g. Roxy music is fine, but Joes garage etc is kind of ... duh...

In the seventies I saw him in Copenhagen, and he said on stage that he found the audience (danish) a bit boring, because we didnt respond to all his 'funny' stuff, like when he had two inflatable dolls, a black and a trasparent/white, have sex on stage. It wasnt provocative in Denmark, just odd.

Alas the information on the musicians playing is a bit limited. I think I miss several musicians. According to allmusic there are more musicians and some also play instruments not mentioned in the booklet. I wonder what is the right line-up.
    Its different from track to track.
    I think this correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Rats#Personnel

There is some incorrect info on Allmusic about the personnel. A few musicians are credited there for instruments they don't play (e.g. Beefheart on keyboards) and Lowell George isn't on the record (he claimed he was in an interview, but was probably mixing it up with other Zappa albums).

The easy way to tell is the 2012 remasters are all on Zappa Records, while the early ones are on Ryko and usually have green cases.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The easy way to tell is the 2012 remasters are all on Zappa Records, while the early ones are on Ryko and usually have green cases.
    The one I have is on Zappa Records, so I'm quite sure I have the prefered edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Its different from track to track.
    I think this correct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Rats#Personnel
    I moslty just note the people, present on the record, not who is playing what on which song.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    There is some incorrect info on Allmusic about the personnel. A few musicians are credited there for instruments they don't play (e.g. Beefheart on keyboards) and Lowell George isn't on the record (he claimed he was in an interview, but was probably mixing it up with other Zappa albums).
    I mostly treat that information from Allmusic whit a lot of care. I rather use other sources of information. They tend to use different spellings for a name as different musicians.