Thread: Les Miserables

Les Miserables

I saw Les Miserables last night and could be the worst movie I have ever seen. It was dull, pooly edited, absolutely no way to realte to the characters and hard to follow if you've never seen before. I did see the play in Chicago years ago and thought it was wonderful. This movie was dreadful.

I'm sorry to hear that! I've seen the play four times. It's one of my favourites. I've been excited about the movie since I saw the first trailer. But I've read some terrible reviews in the past couple of weeks. Of course, being the fan girl that I am (I know all the lyrics by heart), I'll still go to see it. But I'm not as excited as I was at first.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    I saw Les Miserables last night and could be the worst movie I have ever seen. It was dull, pooly edited, absolutely no way to realte to the characters and hard to follow if you've never seen before. I did see the play in Chicago years ago and thought it was wonderful. This movie was dreadful.
    Having read the Victor Hugo book before it vecame an imposed read in high school ... I don't understand how can someone have gotten the ludicrous/absurdidea to translate this novel into a musical.... It's downright laughable, from whatever extracts I saw... And to be honest, if I was a V Hugo descendant, I'd probably sue for lacvk of respect of the classic pieve of literature

BTW, it's not even made to be a theatre play
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    Thanks for the warning - I'd been thinking of going, but will now avoid.

I've also read the book, but have never seen the play or the musical.
    Regards,

Duncan

I've seen the play twice & enjoyed it. The book is on my bucket list. As for the movie...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The promos looked like absolute crap of the highest or deepest degree. I bet your review is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I've seen the play twice & enjoyed it. The book is on my bucket list. As for the movie...
    The book is on my bucket list also. My brother has read the book and the play is, apparently, quite a lot different. It sounds like many liberties were taken in the story line to translate the book to the theatre.

Have to say that I really like the musical (and I know that it almost bears no resemblance to the actual novel) in all its sappy glory. There is quite a lot of music in there that simply tugs at my heartstrings. So, yep, I am probably going to check this one out. Interesting tidbit of info: apparently all the singing was done live on camera. They were using in ear monitors of some kind and where accompanied by an on-set pianist. Then afterwards the music got arrangend around the live performances.

As a fan of the musical I'm still very much looking forward to seeing this despite the bad reviews.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The reviews of movie goers in Ottawa are actually very strong. I'm still not going.

I just saw the movie of "Les Miserables"...

... and cried like a baby at least three times.

It hit all the buttons and did a fantastic job at it. Anne Hathaway deserves all the credit she's getting: her big song is done in an unflinching close-up and it's rivetting.

The cynic in me is straining to get out, but fuck him: this was really pretty wonderful.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Have to say that I really like the musical (and I know that it almost bears no resemblance to the actual novel)
    Not true. There is obviously a lot of trimming, but the fact is the musical is very faithful to the novel.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    ... and cried like a baby at least three times.

It hit all the buttons and did a fantastic job at it. Anne Hathaway deserves all the credit she's getting: her big song is done in an unflinching close-up and it's rivetting.

The cynic in me is straining to get out, but fuck him: this was really pretty wonderful.
    Good to know. My work is getting this movie tomorrow. So, I plan on seeing it.