Thread: FEATURED CD - Finch : Galleons Of Passion

FEATURED CD - Finch : Galleons Of Passion

Per ProgArchives:
    There were many ways for a prog rock band to end their career in the late '70s: turn to AOR, go mainstream, start writing more pop-oriented material that might not endear them to their old fans (but few wanted to latch on to the punk scene). Luckily FINCH refused to fall in to the punk/disco/AOR trap that brought down many prog bands at that time. No longer recording for Negrum, FINCH was now recording for Ariola (actually a division called Bubble Records), with two new guys. With keyboardist Cleem Determeijer and drummer Beer Klaase out of the picture, the band brought in Ad Wammes for keyboards and Hans Bosboom for drums.

Here the band was going for a more conventional prog rock direction, mostly avoiding jams, as demonstrated on "Unspoken is the Word" and "Remembering the Future". "With Love as the Motive" starts off a bit experimental before going on to some great guitar riffs, before ending up in that dreaded "Beyond the Bizarre" (from "Beyond Expression") territory by being rather cheesy. The final cut, "Reconciling" totally blew me away! Without a doubt, the band harking back to the best moments of "Glory of the Inner Force", with some intense passages. This is where the band really gets jamming, something they hadn't really done on the rest of the album. Musically, there's no getting around the fact that this is 1977 (that is, the 1977 for those who refused to acknowledge punk rock existed), as the string synths are quite dominant here, with that spacy feel on some of the cuts. Good album, but nothing beats "Glory of the Inner Force".
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4422

Regards,

Duncan

It's fairly OK, but I rarely pull out this before Inner Force (which is the true shit, IMO).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Not only have this but the double disc "making of..." or whatever it 's called that includes a great live disc. Ken Golden had me from "sounds like Yes played at 78 rpm..." from the print catalog back in the mid-90s iirc, when I ordered this one up.

As Dag Erik Asbjørnsen suggested in his “Scented Gardens Of The Mind” guide, Finch’s music “liv[ed] up to your best or worst expectations of this genre”. I have to agree. - See more at: http://progressiverock.com/guide/rel....vUskWqdR.dpuf
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

their 3rd and final studio album... this often gets slagged for the shorter tunes and the change in style. One of the reasons I like Finch so much is because all 3 of their albums are different. This one is a very solid album even though it is very different from the one preceeding it. Personally, I dont want a band to sound the same on every album they do... though of course, I do not want them to go Pop on me like Genesis, Yes and so many other once great artists did.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I only have this and Beyond Expression. To me they are somewhat interchangeable, and both are pleasant in a Camel-ish kind of way. In fact, the first time I heard them was at a party and everyone was going on about how much it was like hearing a long lost Camel album from the Moonmadness period. Their sound is definitely somewhat dated, but the playing is good. Not something I reach for often any more I'm afraid but fans of mid 70s Camel should definitely check them out.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Suspended
    Clever cover. I like the way you have to look twice before you realise what it is.

The music at the beginning of that clip is just... weird. It doesn't sound to me like "Yes played at 78rmp" "Focus played backwards".

In fact this is the only Finch-album I have. Bought the LP when it was released and years later I got me the single-CD version. It's pleasant music, well played and produced.

When you want all three of them, there's the previously reported Mythology-set: http://www.centertainment.nl/?productid=53

Have this on Vinyl and also their second Album.

I bought that Mythology- CD-set later.

Pleasent melodic stuff and I kinda like it, but I don't reach for it very often.

Haven't heard this in eons. We used to play a cover from this album-been so long though I don't even remember much of it, except for the main melody. I suppose 'Inner Force' is my favorite too, but I do enjoy all 3.

I only have Glory Of The Inner Force and I remember liking it. It's been a while. Which is better: this one or the second album?
    The Prog Corner

each of the 3 have a unique feel and all 3 are great but Beyond Expression is perhaps my favorite
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I gave this a fresh spin tonight. Listenable. Last track is pretty cool and there are good moments throughout. Generally, this lacks the fire that made the first two so special to me, but it isn't an awful album. I actually think it sounds better than either of the first two, particularly the guitar which can be a bit brittle on the earlier releases. I'm glad I have it, even if it doesn't blow my doors off.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    In fact, the first time I heard them was at a party and everyone was going on about how much it was like hearing a long lost Camel album from the Moonmadness period.
    Paulrus?! Wake up man! You dozed off there.

Finch have a very distinctive formula. It was beginning to get a bit tired by this point. Even with new personnel and shorter tunes, it doesn’t sound vastly different from their other two albums. And “Reconciling” recycles a motive/chord progression from “Register Magister.”

I first heard Glory of the Inner Force and immediately loved it. I still maintain that their first album is their strongest and most assertive musical statement. The other two are nice to have, but don’t add anything new. The first is the one I usually grab when I want my Finch fix.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I remember hearing this and liking it quite a lot. At some point I need to work back through the rest of their stuff...

the weakest of their three albumls, but I wish 95% of prog bands to have their weakest album come to Finch's worst' waistline.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Good album but IMO the first two are better.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Good album but IMO the first two are better.
    Glory Of The Inner Force was the first one I ever heard and I have to say it is their best,most proggy album of their career.