Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Byrds

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Somewhere I did hear a bad remix of 'Lady Friend' which I assumed was from one of those 80s albums...it had that horribly inappropriate 80s drum sound. The 90s remixes were more 'in period'.
    It wasn't just the drum sound, but the drumming itself that was "all wrong". I'm not sure what remixing was done for the reissues, but as far as I can tell, they didn't use any way after the fact overdubs for those.

Observations:

One of my 5 favorite bands of all time, particularly from the "Tambourine" debut through "Notorious", which I agree with SS is chock full of great music. King-Goffin's "Goin' Back" and "Draft Morning" still "get to me".

The Burritos "Gilded Palace" appeals to me more than "Sweetheart", if for no other reason than "Devil In Disguise", one of Gram's best songs imo. I don't like a whole lot of twangy pedal steel music, but Gram was just too f*****g talented not to appreciate.

Fact: According to the Liverpool lads, the Byrds were every bit as good and influential as they were in the 60s.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Observations:

One of my 5 favorite bands of all time, particularly from the "Tambourine" debut through "Notorious", which I agree with SS is chock full of great music. King-Goffin's "Goin' Back" and "Draft Morning" still "get to me".
    For me, it's "Draft Morning" and "Wasn't Born to Follow." Nothing better captures the despair of being called like "Draft Morning." Gives me chills every time. I LOVE that psychedelic break in the otherwise Country style of "Wasn't Born to Follow."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Though I wasn't drafted (enlisted in the Navy to avoid Army infantry duty & still wound up in Vietnam), I saw enough over there (including being shot at) that I can still tear up at "Draft Morning".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

'The Notorious Byrd Brothers' is a masterpiece- brilliant songs combined with sonic innovation.

Progeezer, don't know if you are aware of Dusty Springfield's version of 'Goin' Back'- that's my joint favourite with The Byrds one. (She also did 'Wasn't Born To Follow' some years later.)

I will certainly be checking out Dusty's versions. To me, she was/is far more talented than Rick.

Thanks for the info JJ. When Kay & I went to the UK and stayed with Mark Colton of Credo's house in Swindon, he took us to Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, and to your lovely country that gave us, among others, Tom Jones & Magenta.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Love the Byrds. I only have their first album. I need to get whatever album has Eight Miles High.
    That would be "fifth dimension." It's the only one I have at the moment but it's quite good.

Suspended
    'The Notorious Byrd Brothers' is a masterpiece- brilliant songs combined with sonic innovation.

Progeezer, don't know if you are aware of Dusty Springfield's version of 'Goin' Back'- that's my joint favourite with The Byrds one.
    You beat me to it. In fact that was the first version I ever heard of the song.

In the (good) ol' days of the notorious cassette, I had this on side one of a 60 mins tape featuring the entire Moby Grape s/t debut on side 2. I kept it in the inner pocket of my fave jacket and actually carried the thing around with me in case a situation might arise where the need for a sympozion on the greatness of the then so overbashed "60s stupid American hippie rock" would occur. This was concise, intricate and impossibly creative songwriting of the highest order, still prone to overwhelming experimentalism on each and every thinkable level, and I still admire that artistic spirit more than just about anything else. And you could have done the same with a 90 mins tape containing Odessey on one side and Piper on the other. Or whatever.

This stage of rock music revolution has never reappeared and will not. And being born in 1971, that stage escaped me - leaving a haunting trauma. To think that if it hadn't been for my dad's penchant for Bacharach, Andy Williams, Sinatra, George Benson et al., I'd perhaps have grown up actually believing in Axl Rose or MC Hammer.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This new Chris Hillman album looks fun:

On September 22, Rounder Records will release Bidin’ My Time, a new studio album from the founding member of the Byrds, and he worked with some seriously legendary friends this time around. The album was produced by Tom Petty, and the list of special guests who appear on the album is vast: David Crosby, Roger McGuinn, Desert Rose Band alumni Herb Pedersen, John Jorgenson, Jay Dee Maness, Mike Campbell, Steve Ferrone and Benmont Tench of the Heartbreakers, Mark Fain, Josh Jove and Gabe Witcher all make appearances.

And here’s the album’s track listing:

1. “Bells of Rhymney”
    2. “Bidin’ My Time”
    3. “Given All I Can See”
    4. “Different Rivers”
    5. “Here She Comes Again”
    6. “Walk Right Back”
    7. “Such Is The World That We Live In”
    8. “When I Get a Little Money”
    9. “She Don’t Care About Time”
    10.”New Old John Robertson”
    11. “Restless”
    12.”Wildflowers”

Hillman, Jorgenson and Pedersen announced some tour dates, as well:

9/23 Fall River, MA Narrows Center for the Arts
    9/24 Boston, MA City Winery
    9/26 Alexandria, VA The Birchmere
    9/29 Duluth, GA The Red Clay Theatre
    10/1 Nashville, TN City Winery
    10/4 Newport, KY Southgate House Revival
    10/5 Kent, OH Kent Stage
    10/6 Chicago, IL Old Town School of Folk Music
    10/7 Edwardsville, IL The Wildey Theatre
    10/12 Bakersfield, CA Buck Owens’ Crystal Palace
    10/13 Berkeley, CA Freight & Salvage
    10/16 West Hollywood, CA The Troubadour
    10/26-28 Park City, UT The Egyptian Theatre
    11/8 Baton Rouge, LA Red Dragon Listening Room
    11/9 The Woodlands, TX Dosey Doe Barn
    11/10 Austin, TX Texas Union Theater
    1/27/18 Thousand Oaks, Ca. Scherr Theatre

Progeezer, don't know if you are aware of Dusty Springfield's version of 'Goin' Back'- that's my joint favourite with The Byrds one. (She also did 'Wasn't Born To Follow' some years later.)
    Nils Lofgren does a great stripped down version.

Thanks for the notice, Dan. Will have to get this when it comes out. His steel player, Jay Dee Maness, alone is worth the price of admission. Will try to see Chris at one of the Boston area shows.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.