Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magma - Kobaïa & 1001° Centigrades

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    So what's everyone's opinion on the Bruxelles 1971 discs?
    Since I'm used to sub-par recordings from all the boots I like... I find it really good. Most things are clean and clear and very listenable. I dont listen to it as much but now that you mentioned it... hehe. SPIN!

Apart from the crap cassette-deck-mike recording quality, you mean? I actually enjoy that set, if only for a) the atmosphere of presence and obtuse rawness in performance (you can easily hear why they were pretty much of a sensation already then, with a radical aura that reminds me of the Softs' 'Live in Paris 1970'), and b) the somewhat shortened rendition of "Rïah Sahïltaahk" (VERY few rock artists would attempted this intricacy level in early '71). But the sheer 'freak-out' vibe of the whole thing borders on the uncanny, IMHO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Pretty great, over-all, imo.

Starts a bit shaky in terms of quality, but after the 1st 10 or 15 minutes, it sounds pretty good for a 1971 recording.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Thanks, you folks have me primed to dive in!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I still have never gotten the first one, but I adore 1001 Degrees. Such a killer album filled with awesome tunes. Riah is one of my favorite Magma pieces.

I love the crap out of Mythes et legendes 1, so maybe I should get the first one real soon.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I still have never gotten the first one, but I adore 1001 Degrees. Such a killer album filled with awesome tunes. Riah is one of my favorite Magma pieces.
    I love the crap out of Mythes et legendes 1, so maybe I should get the first one real soon.
    what did you think of the recent version of Riah ?

working back from Mythes et legendes 1 to Kobaia that would be an interesting comparison