Thread: Genesis Shepperton 1973

Genesis Shepperton 1973

Have any of you been through all the various "upgrades" and downloads with this one?

The only thing shittier than Nick, (the Prick), Davis attempts at 5.1 on the Genesis 70-75 box is the poor quality of the Shepperton video contained on it, (way to fuck up arguably the most import box set ever released, nice job guys!)

In addition to the box set version, I'd been through a couple of upgrades, culminating with the "Genesis Museum" version from a few years back

Far better than the one on the box, brighter picture, and improved sound

It seems, however, that there is now yet another remaster coded "HD", with enhanced audio

Any experts following along?

Is the HD one any different / better then the Museum copy, (which is supposedly a straight copy of the 16MM master)

MozoPG?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Is the HD one what is linked to on the Genesis Museum page?

http://www.genesismuseum.com/

I'd say the version on the box was better than what they'd used in things like 'Genesis A History', which had the sound off-speed. But they didn't exactly put themselves out in restoring any of this footage, no- the Genesis Museum one even on YouTube is so clearly better. Some of the stuff they used on the 1976-80 albums was really shocking 'off air' quality that they should not have released.

If there's an original film print, it could/should get an official restored Blu-Ray release. They did 'Three Sides Live' last year...that restored print was shown on the TV here a few months ago. So if they can put that out, they can certainly do this too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    they didn't exactly put themselves out in restoring any of this footage
    No shit!

The whole campaign was largely a fail, as each box could have been so much better

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

The HD Genesis Museum version has had the audio replaced with various audio sources, which is IMO a mistake. If you want the original sound, you have to get the DVD version which isn't really any worse than the BluRay version except for the fact that it's obviously SD.

^I only saw a bit of it so I didn't really analyse it, but replacing the audio is a very, very wrong move. I wonder if the original masters for the audio survive as well...I suspect not, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    The HD Genesis Museum version has had the audio replaced with various audio sources, which is IMO a mistake. If you want the original sound, you have to get the DVD version which isn't really any worse than the BluRay version except for the fact that it's obviously SD.
    I didn't realize that, and I completely agree, a really poor idea

I watched the DVD version this morning and it was even better than I'd remembered, I can't imagine the video could look that much better

The audio is not great, but it's fine - it played in all 5 channels in a Dolby setting, obviously not in surround, but fairly "full" sounding

Watching it I suspected this copy would be as good as it could get, your answer seems to confirm so thank you

BG