Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Keneally Band European tour 2013

Still a few tickets left at these venues!

Hope to see some of you at the shows!

Rhiannon

Don't miss this, folks! This is a VERY RARE chance to see the MKB, don't pass it up.

Orcopian
    I'm really looking forward to the show in Cardiff on Thursday, even more since Godsticks have released their stunning new album.
    Thrilled to get the chance to see Mike Keneally live - I was warming up earlier for the gig by listening to live at the baked potato. It's going to be a great night.

you would be a fool to miss this tour if its coming anywhere near you. Seriously.

i hope it's a nice trip for them. it's sure to be an excellent time for the audience
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I'll be at the Borderline tonight! And buying too many CDs at Ray's Jazz across the road beforehand

Matt.

And THAT was just awesome! Fabulous tunes from the Wing Beat album, a ton of stuff from most Keneally records, a solo tune by Bryan, plus Beatles, Brubeck and a seriously obscure Fripp reference

Damn that 10:30 curfew!!!

Really, really pleased I got to see the MKB on these shores.

Matt.

Tell us more!

Lightnin' Roy was mind blowing. Backwards Deb and 'cause of breakfast were seriously powerful. And Hallmark, Tranquilado and Your House had some gorgeous piano moments. Mike's voice was great too. He's singing better than ever. Trying to think what they opened with....something from Sluggo i think.

Yes, terrific gig. Lovely atmosphere. I agree with Matt about Mike's singing too. Sounded wonderful and really cut through. What a band.

"Lightin' Roy.... Lightnin' Roy...."

yeah, that's a normal tune

glad you guys got to see him over there. how exciting!

and you boys (Kavus and Matt) get to hang at all?

bravo on catching that. ya lucky dogs

K

P.S: Backward Deb has got to be one of my favourite songs ever. SO great. coolness...
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    P.S: Backward Deb has got to be one of my favourite songs ever. SO great. coolness...
    Although it did have a funny vocal variation from Mike where he kind of decided to extend the vocal part on one section without telling the band first

gotta keep them on their toes, eh?

Orcopian
    Sensational show in Cardiff last night, managed to get Bryan's set list at the end, here is what it says: frozen beef, raining here, Roy, hallmark, voyage to manhood, you kill me, quimby, stove, hum, wing beat, own, your house, tranquillado, dolphins/bully's, no name' seven %, bobeat, breakfast.

There was also a spontaneous version of dangerous kitchen while mike was tuning up, for as long as he could remember the words.

Band were so tight and great guitar and keyboard by mike. Highlights for me were lightning Roy, hallmark, your house , just about everything really.

I normally head straight off after gigs but was a bit of a fanboy and waited to get my wing beat cd signed by mike, he was more than happy to chat to fans, especially to avoid the challenging load out down 3 flights of stairs....also chatted to dave Gregory about big big train matters, what a nice fellow.

Godsticks were great as well.

Brilliant night overall.

Sounds like an awesome time! Thank you all for chiming in! Excited to hear more as the tour progresses.

Jefferson James
    Happy and not surprised to hear the raves here and on Facebook! I would love to hear the MKB play "You Kill Me"!!!! Great setlist, thanks for the reports!

Jefferson James
    And just for good measure -- more exclamation marks! Sometimes I feel like Patsy Ramsey. I mean Patsy Ramsey!

!!!!!!!!

Hoping that people show up tonight in Manchester - this is apparently the coldest and snowiest March in the UK in 50 years and road conditions are jinky (that's a technical term). We're waiting right now at the hotel for a cab to bring us to the gig and he's 9 minutes late. I hope we make it!

Thanks for the good words everyone - first two shows have been a real pleasure and it's such a privilege to finally be able to bring my band over here. Thank any deity responsible for Godsticks and their incredible generosity and support - they made this tour a reality.

More exclamation points for Kerry!!!!!!!

!

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Although it did have a funny vocal variation from Mike where he kind of decided to extend the vocal part on one section without telling the band first
    Which version? Dancing, or Wine & Pickles? I haven't listened to this song in a while. BTW, picked up the Dust Speck Deluxe Edition last week. Lots of great original sessions video on the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    Sensational show in Cardiff last night, managed to get Bryan's set list at the end, here is what it says: frozen beef, raining here, Roy, hallmark, voyage to manhood, you kill me, quimby, stove, hum, wing beat, own, your house, tranquillado, dolphins/bully's, no name' seven %, bobeat, breakfast.
    That's a great setlist! I've seen Mike three times; always a great experience!

Rip their heads off, Mike! Return the favor of the British invasion!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Which version? Dancing, or Wine & Pickles? I haven't listened to this song in a while. BTW, picked up the Dust Speck Deluxe Edition last week. Lots of great original sessions video on the DVD.
    Oh, just the usual Dancing lyrics I think (so not 3rd person). I wish i'd thought to pick up the Dust Speck DVD at the gig! Really want to see that. I did however get the Bakin' at the Potato DVD/CD which is just brilliant...especially the gorgeous version of Click from Nonkertompf. In fact, seeing the MKB play Hum from that album at the London show made me really want to see more of the Nonkertompf music on stage...I guess a fair portion of it could be rearranged by the quartet/quintet?? I'd love to see a Nonkersuite of that music in much the same way as Stravinsky reduced the Firebird into a concert suite. Some entirely awesome 40min stretch of music in time for the next UK tour perhaps?

Matt.

The quality of the Dust Speck sessions video is a bit better than the Hat sessions. There's some footage at the beginning of MK playing an extended solo, which is one of the best videos for observing his guitar technique. And the video of the muti-tracked Dolphins instrumental is great as well.

There are a couple of good videos of Hum on the Dog, and Guitar Therapy Deluxe Editions.

Incredible show in Newcastle last night, loved it! Great people and one of the best bands i've ever seen! You need to see this tour! Godsticks were great 2

And I saw Keneally tweeted that the OTHER support act was great too Wish I could have seen some more dates on this tour

Matt, I think I saw you down near the front of the stage at the London show?? I was lurking by the mixing desk. Looking forward to us being back at the Borderline in June with Tin Spirits!

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    And I saw Keneally tweeted that the OTHER support act was great too Wish I could have seen some more dates on this tour

Matt, I think I saw you down near the front of the stage at the London show?? I was lurking by the mixing desk. Looking forward to us being back at the Borderline in June with Tin Spirits!

Matt.
    That made my day, very kind of Mike to say he enjoyed me set

Yup i was there at the London show, was amazing! Really looking forward to the Borderline gig with you guys and Tin Spirits