Thread: For those who like contemporary "classical" music-Chinary Ung-born in Cambodia

For those who like contemporary "classical" music-Chinary Ung-born in Cambodia

I recently heard music by Cambodian born composer Chinary Ung(born 1942-now living in California).I was impressed by Ung's attempts to steer a course between Western music and the music of his homeland,Cambodia,while not making a pastiche or goulash music of the two traditions.I find the music, approachable,full of color and timbral variety,and with a masterful feel for use of percussion.I bought a cd of his music on the Bridge label, and i particularly dig this clip.Enjoy.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

awesome...thanks Walt!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I like this type of stuff, usually, but the lack of interplay here between the musicians, due to their sheet music rather than the group dynamic, just leaves me cold and feeling like I'm listening to 3 musicians playing 3 separate pieces. All of them are playing interesting music to my ears but there is very little cohesion of the music. Occasionally the early 20th century style of the cello will meld nicely with the piano, but otherwise it's far too disjointed for my liking.

Then there's Thai composer Somtow Sucharitkul (also a pretty impressive SF/F writer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmDj24I75I
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.