Thread: Peter Gabriel - No More Mickey

Peter Gabriel - No More Mickey

Anyone heard this before?

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Hadn't heard it before. Thanks for posting.

In "Without Frontiers: The Life And Music Of Peter Gabriel" the song is mentioned:

"In the long, parched summer of 1976, Gabriel took some ideas into Trident Studios in London's St Anne's Court a familiar and warm stamping ground. The piano demos he had recorded at home were interesting and deiverse. "Howling At The Moon", "Funny Man", "No More Mickey" and "God Knows", all recorded at this time, have never turned up on any subsequent Gabirel recording." (p. 158)

The book mentions that Gabriel worked on these demos with Collins, Rutherford, Phillips and John Goodsall.

More info on http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90...5-a-62574.html
    ""No More Mickey", a light and fairly commercial tune allegedly about his dear friend, Richard Macphail, had been offered to Charisma as a single in 1975, and was rejected." (p. 159).

Interesting. I'd love to hear those other tracks too!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    There is a boot called "Before the Flood" that has these

I want to say it was up at the Big O site, but I honestly don't remember where I first saw it

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Strange track. Seems he needed a 'hit'. A year later he recorded a decent version of Lennon's Strawberry Fields Forever. That's all I know about his post-Genesis- pre-solo LP's activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Pretty sure "Howling At The Moon", "Funny Man" are on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Pretty sure "Howling At The Moon", "Funny Man" are on youtube.
    Cool, I'll check those out! These somehow got by me.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Maybe he's referring to Mickey's, the malt liquor beer in the quaint little barrel shaped bottles.

Howling At The Moon:

Funny Man:

What the hell is this? (found it after watching the vids above)

Sounds like a ripoff of both "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Hey Jude".
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

That must be what Tom Waits is singing about in 'Franks Wild Years'.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    More info on http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90...5-a-62574.html
    ""No More Mickey", a light and fairly commercial tune allegedly about his dear friend, Richard Macphail, had been offered to Charisma as a single in 1975, and was rejected." (p. 159).
    I wonder why. I can easily hear a full band arrangement for that, and it sounds like it would have made a nice single.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Maybe he's referring to Mickey's, the malt liquor beer in the quaint little barrel shaped bottles.
    From the still used on that vid, Gabriel is clearly a Boy Howdy man!

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Sounds like a ripoff of both "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Hey Jude".
    Reminds me of the bit in the Residents' Third Reich & Roll where they layered the chants from "Hey Jude" and "Sympathy for the Devil" over each other.

Last edited by strawberrybrick; 07-19-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"