Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Field Music

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I hope it's glowing because "Open Here" is really effin' good.
    Good to hear. Hopefully I'll be getting it next week.

I must confess I haven't heard a note from Field Music until last weekend. The band covers the song "River Man" from Nick Drake on the Mojo-sampler "Green Leaves: Nick Drake Covered", which comes with the March issue.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I must confess I haven't heard a note from Field Music until last weekend.
    Well, you actually did, some 13 years ago... But I don't blame you for not remembering it.;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hurm View Post
    Well, you actually did, some 13 years ago... But I don't blame you for not remembering it.;-)

I guess I was busy sitting at the controls pre-listening to the next track in our radioshow.

Plumb Music was one of the most exquisite pop prog album i heard in years.
    This band really knows how to make fantastic arrangements.
    I'm really sad they didn't make a blast in the prog community.

part of that is because they're so difficult to label - they're kind of 'stateless' the way Gentle Giant must've been in their day. I mean, it's *not* really prog, it's not really Zolo either, it kinda sounds like XTC but it's a bit trickier than that.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    part of that is because they're so difficult to label - they're kind of 'stateless' the way Gentle Giant must've been in their day. I mean, it's *not* really prog, it's not really Zolo either, it kinda sounds like XTC but it's a bit trickier than that.
    I agree with this analysis. as a big of XTC and GG myself, in my mind obvious links are made between those bands. But for not open minded hardcore progressive rock fans, XTC lacks of a "prog stamp". ironically, the guitar player is now in big big train!

The new Field Music LP is outstanding - as are all their records.

XTC meets Gentle Giant? Sure, why not?
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by pwawrzyn View Post
    Plumb Music was one of the most exquisite pop prog album i heard in years.
    This band really knows how to make fantastic arrangements.
    I'm really sad they didn't make a blast in the prog community.
    A bit like Schnauser - they went right at the Vol 2 Soft Machine vibe on "Protein for Everyone" on the last tune - but they also have super pop songs that blend a lot of great prog elements all over their work. Field Music is a bit more pop but yeah - arrangements and all of it are damn great.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    What is Zolo?

I have to admit I hadn’t looked at this thread till now because I thought it was about “ethnic” or native music recorded “in the field,” like as inspiration or ambience like Agitation Free and others used. Didn’t Know it was a band till Mattias posted something on Facebook today.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I must confess I haven't heard a note from Field Music until last weekend. The band covers the song "River Man" from Nick Drake on the Mojo-sampler "Green Leaves: Nick Drake Covered", which comes with the March issue.
    Excellent cover that was too.

I just saw that Field Music has a new album coming out in January. Making A New World, and it's a concept album about the aftermath of World War I.

Details are here: http://field-music.co.uk/

I'm jazzed!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I just saw that Field Music has a new album coming out in January. Making A New World, and it's a concept album about the aftermath of World War I.

Details are here: http://field-music.co.uk/

I'm jazzed!
    As am I! Already pre-ordered!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I've heard it, it's really good. If you like Field Music, you'll like it. No additional spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    As am I! Already pre-ordered!
    Glad to hear you like these guys as well. I never realized.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I've heard it, it's really good. If you like Field Music, you'll like it. No additional spoilers.
    Thanks for the insight! This is good to know.

Cool band. Always thought 'Start The Day Right' was one of the best album openers ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Cool band. Always thought 'Start The Day Right' was one of the best album openers ever.
    Yes! I love that one, especially as an opening track. It's just about perfect.

Pitchfork's description in their review for Commontime is still one that I think back to from time to time:

At their best, the experience of listening to Field Music is akin to moving into a beautifully designed house in which there are no right angles—everything just slightly and perfectly off.

^^^^ Slightly perfectly said!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    ^^^^ Slightly perfectly said!

I think Commontime is my favorite by Field Music, but they've never put out a "bad" record IMO. What's your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

I think Commontime is my favorite by Field Music, but they've never put out a "bad" record IMO. What's your favorite?
    Oooh, probably either Plumb or Commontime I think. But yeah, they're pretty consistent. 'Tones..' is good too, but less so than the later albums.

My absolute number one is The Week That Was. Stellar album!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Thanks to those who have kept this thread going. Wow! This is great stuff. I've only listened to Plumb (3x) and Commontime and love them both. What inventive arrangements surrounding great songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Thanks to those who have kept this thread going. Wow! This is great stuff. I've only listened to Plumb (3x) and Commontime and love them both. What inventive arrangements surrounding great songs.
    Glad you like them! Be sure to check out The Week That Was, as well as the School of Language albums. Those are the individual Brewis brothers side projects, and are pretty similar to Field Music. I think they’re great.

The new album dropped today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old man of prog
    New album is tremendous and I found it on Qobuz in 24/48. Yippee