Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Field Music

Field Music

I discovered these guys from the "Tame Impala" thread, thanks to Bill G and Kerry Kompost. Just listened to their "Plumb" album (I think it's their most recent) and this is one of the most interesting and quirky pop bands I've heard in a while. Maybe it's not even pop; I don't know. There's definitely a progressive streak, but it's not exactly prog either. Whatever it is, I dig it!

Opening and closing tracks from "Plumb:"

The guitar/bass part in the first tune sounds like something Green/Shulman would come up with.

The singer on both tracks reminds me somewhat of Belew.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The guitar/bass part in the first tune sounds like something Green/Shulman would come up with.
    I thought that too.

I couldn't pick out what were the best tracks after only one listen, so I just chose the first and last one. Every one of them had something interesting going on. And not one of them had a trite, mainstream approved chord progression.

Suspended
    Never heard of them, but that's rather good. Where are they from?

Sunderland, England.

Yep! Great, great band. The primary songwriters are two brothers, Peter and David Brewis; the other musicians have changed over the years I believe. Plumb is really good, and so is Measure. I haven't heard Tones of Town in a while, so I need to revisit that one.

They remind me of XTC at times, with their quirkiness, but I can definitely see the Green/Shulman similarities.

Peter Brewis' solo album/project The Week That Was is also excellent. It reminded me of Peter Gabriel (circa Melt) and Kate Bush. His drumming is pretty much stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yep! Great, great band. The primary songwriters are two brothers, Peter and David Brewis; the other musicians have changed over the years I believe. Plumb is really good, and so is Measure. I haven't heard Tones of Town in a while, so I need to revisit that one.

They remind me of XTC at times, with their quirkiness
    Me too, probably why I like them so much. But I think they're actually more quirky than XTC.

Yep! Great, great band. They remind me of ___. I can definitely see the _____ similarities. Reminded me of ____ and ____.
    I guess I'm getting old. I'm not much interested in bands who endlessly rehash other band's material. Is it too much to ask for something new?

I gotta stop opening these threads. I'm too old to be continuously buying more shit (figurative), but bands like this are like heroin to my music-addicted veins.

I thought the singer also had a definite Bryan Ferry vibe on "A New Thing", Ernie.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Saw them in Toronto a few years ago...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Love this group. Every record.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Is it too much to ask for something new?
    In this day and age? I'd say so. Besides, people have an innate tendency to compare one band's sound to others, at the very least as a point of reference. For a band not to remind you of anything you've ever heard before is pretty rare indeed; a band/artist would have to live in a vacuum to accomplish that. But whatever similarities we might want to throw into the pot, I'd say Field Music is pretty unique. There's a difference between reminding you of ___ and sounding like ____. Everyone is (at least in part) an amalgam of their influences.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I gotta stop opening these threads. I'm too old to be continuously buying more shit (figurative), but bands like this are like heroin to my music-addicted veins.
    I feel your pain, Steve. So much music, so little time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

The singer on both tracks reminds me somewhat of Belew.
    Yeah, definitely. Feels kind of like XTC-esque quirky pop mixed with a more blatantly artsy bent. I've heard of these guys, but never got around to actually checking them out. Will amend that mistake and head right over to the band's download store!

Big fan here, too.
    Saw them live at the time of Plumb's release. They were great.

I am totally digging this. Thanks!

Field Music did a collab with Warm Digits for the BBC3 Late Junction. I have it on 10" vinyl and know it's also available for download. There's definitely a lot there for PE'ers to like; check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xh0v8MlX_o

XTC meets Gentle Giant. These guys are terrific.
    The Prog Corner

This thread made me think of Pretty & Nice and that's a good thing as I hadn't thought of them in a while.

The Prog Corner

Not sure about the vocals. That might take some getting used to. But the music and playing is just fine. I got a little Zep vibe in the first track when the riff kicks in.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This one is one of my favorite so far. Love that little drum/bass riff.

I really appreciate how compact these guys keep most of their stuff. Keeps everything fresh and fun without getting dragged down.

They remind me of XTC at times, with their quirkiness, but I can definitely see the Green/Shulman similarities.

Peter Brewis' solo album/project The Week That Was is also excellent. It reminded me of Peter Gabriel (circa Melt) and Kate Bush. His drumming is pretty much stellar.
    That album is a masterpiece!

Yeah, Tones Of Town is amazing too.

Anyone heard either of the School of Language albums? I'm intrigued by these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    Anyone heard either of the School of Language albums? I'm intrigued by these as well.
    I think the one from last year is the best one.