Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Field Music

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I think the one from last year is the best one.
    I didn't realize there was a second one!

I think the one from last year is the best one.
    I prefer the first one. More rocky and varied.

I have every Field Music album, all the sideprojects and most of the singles. If I must choose then "The Week That Was" album is the best of the bunch.

Best new band around and very progressive.

Tame Impala and these guys are gonna make my work week sooo much better. Thanks everyone for the new tunes!

Thought I needed to try some Tame Impala ...

Wow!!!

This has always reminded me of Wire's pop stuff like "Kidney Bingos" or "Map Ref". Love the string arrangement.

This was the first Field Music song I heard. I slightly prefer the ones sung by Peter Brewis (such as this) 'though David does a good job too especially on those School Of Language albums. I cannot get over the fact that amongs other thing the brothers are both excellent drummers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    Anyone heard either of the School of Language albums? I'm intrigued by these as well.
    I found School Of Language too synth pop for my tastes.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I found School Of Language too synth pop for my tastes.
    The first one "Sea From Shore" hardly has any synths. At times it's almost heavy with guitars, especially "Disappointment '99".

"Rockist part 3" is another great track from that album, sounds like Wire.

Liked that 'The Week That Was' song. Will have to check them out some more.

For those that asked earlier, Field Music has 5 albums, 1 of which is kind of a 'b-sides' type album that I've not heard. I like all the others, but the latest is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Liked that 'The Week That Was' song. Will have to check them out some more.

For those that asked earlier, Field Music has 5 albums, 1 of which is kind of a 'b-sides' type album that I've not heard. I like all the others, but the latest is my favorite.
    Definitely check out TWTW.

Plumb is probably my favorite too, but just about anything these guys do is worth hearing. The newest one that just came out sounds interesting, being a film score essentially. Curious how that'll sound.

Wow... that is some great stuff. I'll be watching these guys and checking what I can now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Definitely check out TWTW.

Plumb is probably my favorite too, but just about anything these guys do is worth hearing. The newest one that just came out sounds interesting, being a film score essentially. Curious how that'll sound.
    I did check out TWTW, some great videos. Cool stuff. So there's a new Field Music film score coming out? That might be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I did check out TWTW, some great videos. Cool stuff. So there's a new Field Music film score coming out? That might be cool.
    "Songs For Drifters". It was released on vinyl this spring on Record Store Day, most likely not sold out yet and was just released digitally. Instrumental stuff with Andrew Moore back in the line-up.

There's also a compilation called "Play" that collects the cover versions the band has done, some of those released on single B-sides and, in case of "Heart" and "Rent", as a stand-alone single.

Nice tune! And it looks like these guys can really pull it off live.

I'm digging "Plumb!" What I want to know is why so many of you guys knew about this band and were keeping it a secret!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm digging "Plumb!" What I want to know is why so many of you guys knew about this band and were keeping it a secret!
    I feel like they're relatively unknown outside of England, but even over here I fear they're critically acclaimed but don't sell that many records. It's a shame.

Last time I saw them live they were slow to start but fantastic when they got going!

My goodnews Field Music is good. Who cares about labels. I see the XTC similarities, but they don't seem derivative.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Nice tune! And it looks like these guys can really pull it off live.

I learned of them last year here on PE, so I kind of thought I was the one out of the loop

I don't have Songs For Drifters yet, but the silver vinyl release sounds attractive. Any views on how this one compares to the earlier albums, I realise it's rather different in style and structure, but am interested in any thoughts / reviews?

One listen to Plumb and I'm converted! Thank you! Bits of Dutch Uncles, Everything Everything and Yes in there too. Great!

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Big fan here, and I saw them live (the Hague, Amsterdam) twice. Love them to bits. Yet I think "Field Music (Measure)" is their masterpiece, and I was slightly underwhelmed by "Plumb". They remind me about Godley & Creme and 10CC a lot more than the mentioned XTC-influence.

Their instrumental new one is at All Streaming btw: http://allstreaming.nl/pages/play-al...For%20Drifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    They remind me about Godley & Creme and 10CC a lot more than the mentioned XTC-influence.
    Gotta agree, they're much more relaxed than XTC. Maybe the later stuff like "Rook" with those wonderful string arrangements could be an influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    They remind me about Godley & Creme and 10CC a lot more than the mentioned XTC-influence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Gotta agree, they're much more relaxed than XTC. Maybe the later stuff like "Rook" with those wonderful string arrangements could be an influence.
    I wouldn't say "more relaxed," but the influence of early 10cc has certainly crossed my mind.

Measure Picked that up today. This is friggin awesome. A great album. Has a really inviting vibe and easy to throw on anytime. Definitely worthy of repeat binge listening. Like Tame Impala's Innerspeaker album. Such catchy quirky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Measure Picked that up today. This is friggin awesome. A great album. Has a really inviting vibe and easy to throw on anytime. Definitely worthy of repeat binge listening. Like Tame Impala's Innerspeaker album. Such catchy quirky stuff.
    Glad you like it!

Measure has some of my favorite Field Music songs on it. Lights Up is just awesome.

Listened to the Field Music (Measure) CD pictured above:

I hear the 10CC, XTC references. Really good songs and arrangements. Epic quality, top-notch stuff!

Bought the live Tame Impala as well. Pretty refined for a 'live' album! I expected nothing but fuzzed guitars but was impressed that it was lighter and made me want to see them next time they come to Seattle.
    Last edited by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof; 08-03-2015 at 06:12 PM.