Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When the "single version" is a totally different recording, not just an edit

I just remembered that ELO's "Ma-Ma-Ma Belle" single version always sounded different from the album version....Wiki says Im partially right: its the same recording but a different mix ....however, there were string parts that were left off the album version that the single version had.....weird

Camel’s “Another Night” single is a different recording from the album version.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Silver Machine by Hawkwind - The basic tracks are reused from the Greasy Truckers album version with serious studio additions - most obviously Lemmy's vocal.

I was listening to the bonus tracks on the Rhino version of YES's "Drama" and whoever edited "Into the Lens" and "Run Through the Light" into the singles versions did a total butcher job. No musical sense or cohesion whatsoever. These are probably the same recordings as the longer versions but just horribly done. Yikes!

^ Gave these a closer listen and they sound like different mixes.

Alice Cooper's Elected & Def Leppard's Hello America immediately came to mind!

Queen has done this many times....
    Fat Bottomed Girls (i actually like the shorter version better.)
    I Want To Break Free (the single version is actually longer.)
    One Vision (totally redone for the single, but the album version is best)
    I Want It All (redone and shorter, but most of the guitar solo was edited out)

XTC re - recorded "Ten Feet Tall" for a US single.
    There are a few different single versions of "Hey Joe" by The Leaves.

A subject that I don't really know too much about. I remember when I was growing hearing about artists remaking songs for radio. That was back in the sixties which may have happened a lot because of AM radio being mono. The only song I remember now hearing about and I still could be wrong on this was Three Dog Night's "Pieces of April" I thought when I opened this thread I would read about many songs in the sixties being rerecorded.

Hendrix - "Izabella"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Van Der Graaf Generator - Refugees
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    A subject that I don't really know too much about. I remember when I was growing hearing about artists remaking songs for radio. That was back in the sixties which may have happened a lot because of AM radio being mono. The only song I remember now hearing about and I still could be wrong on this was Three Dog Night's "Pieces of April" I thought when I opened this thread I would read about many songs in the sixties being rerecorded.
    I don't think they were so much re-recorded as edited - by I don't know whom, whether it was the record companies themselves, or the radio stations. "Radio edits" usually seemed to serve one of two purposes: to shorten the song to a length deemed suitable for airplay (i.e. 3 minutes or so), or to censor bits of it. Some particularly blatant examples of the first kind of butchering are Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love", and The Doors' "Light my Fire", both of which had entire instrumental sections removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    The singles released by Klaatu prior to their debut were the originals which they then redid for the album.
    I'm not aware they had singles released before their debut album.

Are they available somewhere?? (I mean on the net)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.