Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Turntable

Vertical Turntable

Have you heard of this Kickstarter campaign? Already raised $1.2 million when the goal was $50,000. Guess people are interested.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ical-turntable

Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-17-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    From the '80s:

I guy I worked with ~25 years ago had one in his office at work.

the good thing about those vertical tts is that the sliding arm is always at the good angle for reading the groove. Probably less wear over the years of playing
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

vertical tts

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    vertical twit, if you prefer

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    A solution in search of a problem, if you ask me. I took a look at that link and there seems to be nothing about that design that could not be made to work on a conventional horizontal player.

If they get the funds and the thing gets built, you can use it to listen to your Jon Anderson and Jean Luc Ponty album! Then the next campaign will be for a turntable that plays the record tilted at 33 degrees to the horizontal, or 45 deg for 45's, thereby providing visual cues about the medium to which you are listening.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but a (paper) magazine to which I subscribe has a section devoted to this kind of thing - inventions and gadgets that never took off. In most cases it was not because they would not work, it was because there was no crying need for them to exist, in many cases there was no need at all. I mean, just how much demand is there for a cat food dish equipped with a special lever that the cat can work with its paw, so that if it finds the food too hot the device will blow a stream of air over it to cool it down? The latest issue features some novel roller skates that consist of a wheel for each foot, and very little else. Your foot is held inside the wheel, presumable on a frame that is stationary while the wheel rotates. If you think about it, that means you could only skate sideways - which I suppose you could get used to, provided you're careful to avoid doing the splits.

An invention that I WOULD be interested in is if you could eliminate all those snaps, crackles and pops and other problems of vinyl records by somehow producing a disc that could be read optically, say by a laser, rather than requiring a mechanical tonearm. Just imagine: great sound quality, less prone to damage, you could play it as many times as you like without wearing it out... the discs could probably be made much smaller and more "compact" than we are used to, making them much easier to store, carry around, send through the post etc. You could even play them in your car...
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 07-17-2015 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

An invention that I WOULD be interested in is if you could eliminate all those snaps, crackles and pops and other problems of vinyl records by somehow producing a disc that could be read optically, say by a laser, rather than requiring a mechanical tonearm. Just imagine: great sound quality, less prone to damage, you could play it as many times as you like without wearing it out... the discs could probably be made much smaller and more "compact" than we are used to, making them much easier to store, carry around, send through the post etc. You could even play them in your car...
    Perfect sound forever!!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    vertical twit,
    No need for insults.......

It'll never happen...
    <sig out of order>

An invention that I WOULD be interested in is if you could eliminate all those snaps, crackles and pops and other problems of vinyl records by somehow producing a disc that could be read optically, say by a laser, rather than requiring a mechanical tonearm....
    It exists, and by ELP no less!
    http://elpj.com/

-noisynoise
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Looks cool. I do like the idea of integrated speakers. Will I get one? I doubt it. I like working with gravity instead of against it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Suspended
    ^^ I agree. Gravity has a certain attraction.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    A solution in search of a problem, if you ask me. I took a look at that link and there seems to be nothing about that design that could not be made to work on a conventional horizontal player.

If they get the funds and the thing gets built, you can use it to listen to your Jon Anderson and Jean Luc Ponty album! Then the next campaign will be for a turntable that plays the record tilted at 33 degrees to the horizontal, or 45 deg for 45's, thereby providing visual cues about the medium to which you are listening.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but a (paper) magazine to which I subscribe has a section devoted to this kind of thing - inventions and gadgets that never took off. In most cases it was not because they would not work, it was because there was no crying need for them to exist, in many cases there was no need at all. I mean, just how much demand is there for a cat food dish equipped with a special lever that the cat can work with its paw, so that if it finds the food too hot the device will blow a stream of air over it to cool it down? The latest issue features some novel roller skates that consist of a wheel for each foot, and very little else. Your foot is held inside the wheel, presumable on a frame that is stationary while the wheel rotates. If you think about it, that means you could only skate sideways - which I suppose you could get used to, provided you're careful to avoid doing the splits.

I talked to ELP about making a car version of their laser turntable....they never got back to me on it...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Gravity is a downer.
    <sig out of order>

I notice it mentions 'black records' in the specs.

is there a problem w/ colored/clear vinyl or picture discs ??

And at that price, I expect an automatic disc cleaner too !

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    the good thing about those vertical tts is that the sliding arm is always at the good angle for reading the groove. Probably less wear over the years of playing
    That is true of the turntable pictured, and turntables like the Sony SL-10 (SL stands for Straight Line) where the arm rides on a turning roller. The SL-10 will play flat, or at a 45 degree angle with the included ramp brackets, it'll play vertically, it'll even play upside down if that appeals to you. However the turntable in the Kickstarter campaign has a run-of-the-mill pivot tonearm, just like a normal flat turntable. The vertical orientation is just a gimmick.

A gimmick that lets you see the record turning.

It exists, and by ELP no less!
    http://elpj.com/

-noisynoise
    Actually the ELP turntable is MUCH WORSE for snaps, crackles and pops than a nornal turntable because the lasers read every piece of dirt rather than pushing them aside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom unbound
    I notice it mentions 'black records' in the specs.

is there a problem w/ colored/clear vinyl or picture discs ??

And at that price, I expect an automatic disc cleaner too !
    The ELP will not played colored vinyl. The mechanism depends on reflecting the laser beams.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-17-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Will it play no colored vinyl, or just not red and red-ish vinyl?

Not guaranteed to play anything but black.

Possibly some dark blue or such would work, but nothing clear-ish.

Shouldnt the stylus be at the bottom? I mean, gravity would cause all the music to fall into a jumble at the bottom of the disc

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The ELP will not played colored vinyl. The mechanism depends on reflecting the laser beams.
    I prefer non-racist turntables

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When you're trying to play a crappy copy of your fave Archies single, taping quarters to the tonearm won't help!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I do like the idea of integrated speakers.
    Actually, that part scares me. How do they prevent audio feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Shouldnt the stylus be at the bottom?
    That would've required mounting the tonearm to the top. Not in their design parameters.

Massively wide notch filter.
    <sig out of order>

Oh, great.

By limiting frequency response so that it doesn't go below 1Khz. Actually, judging by the previous post that may be no joke...