Thread: Latimer audtioned for The Wall tour???

Latimer audtioned for The Wall tour???

Kilminster is a great guitarist and has great stage presence(see Wilson tour) but who better to play Gilmours parts than someone who has that same kind of
    atmospheric tone...Any thoughts to what happened???Did Latimer's illness play a role??? That would have been total badass...

That would have been so cool to hear Andy playing those solo's and getting some exposure. Kilminster did a great job on the Steven Wilson tour

Seems I remember hearing something about vocals being a problem? That would've been awesome though, regardless.

I heard the same thing. Latimer was all set to do the Wall tour. Something though about the vocal blend, or the vocals being too high, or too low for Latimer. I am not remembering though where I read that.

He auditioned for the DSOTM tour 2006. Did well with guitar parts (David and Andrew shared some common ground there) but lost the audition after he "croaked" his way through Wish You Were Here.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

It was the DSOTM tour. I think his illness played a bigger part in him not doing this.

I'd rather he stick with his own music personally. Much better to hear Camel live again.

Details, including a link to Latimer's account, here: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...lacing-Gilmour
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Hah - That shows what I know! I was thinking to myself, "Lemmy toured with Roger Waters?"

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    It was the DSOTM tour. I think his illness played a bigger part in him not doing this.
    The biggest part of him not doing this was that Roger Waters said thanks but no thanks.
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 07-19-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    The biggest part of him not doing this was that Roger Waters said thanks but not thanks.
    Do you mean "no thanks?" Did Kilminster sing? I seem to think if he did, it wasn't much. I still believe there was more to this...

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    Do you mean "no thanks?" Did Kilminster sing? I seem to think if he did, it wasn't much. I still believe there was more to this...
    That was the odd thing about it because IIRC from the show Kilminster doesn't sing, although he perfectly well could.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    That was the odd thing about it because IIRC from the show Kilminster doesn't sing, although he perfectly well could.
    Yes, does seem odd doesn't it?

I didn't like this idea from the start. Perhaps, it is because I am a Camel fan, but I feel that Andy is way too talented in his own right to just be a member of Roger Waters' band. If you gave me the option of seeing Camel or Roger Waters live, I am absolutely picking Camel.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I didn't like this idea from the start. Perhaps, it is because I am a Camel fan, but I feel that Andy is way too talented in his own right to just be a member of Roger Waters' band. If you gave me the option of seeing Camel or Roger Waters live, I am absolutely picking Camel.
    I totally agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Eric Clapton didn't lose ground touring with Roger..

The biggest part of him not doing this was that Roger Waters said thanks but no thanks.
    Roger was the one who chose Andy.. doubt it was him that said no thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Roger was the one who chose Andy.. doubt it was him that said no thanks..
    Eh... what? Latimer auditioned but Waters did not choose him.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Eh... what? Latimer auditioned but Waters did not choose him.
    Hmm... story I remember reading was different.. Waters approached Andy to tour.. I'm with the rest regarding health issue prevented him from following through with commitment.. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the internet now can you?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Hmm... story I remember reading was different.. Waters approached Andy to tour.. I'm with the rest regarding health issue prevented him from following through with commitment.. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the internet now can you?
    In interview by Latimer I have read he said that Waters did not choose him mainly because of his inadequate vocals. Health problems came after audition I believe.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

In interview by Latimer I have read he said that Waters did not choose him mainly because of his inadequate vocals. Health problems came after audition I believe.
    His health problems started in 1992, they just got progressively worse. He had his transplant in 2007.

Definitely correct, Andy nailed the guitar and looked to have the inside track for the gig but later in the process his voice proved to be his short coming. Frankly it was giving out. It had nothing to do with later health issues.

As for the chap who said he did not like this from the start, that Andy was way to talented to be just a band member... I agree with one of your thoughts, I would rather see Andy with Camel as well but you are delirious if you do not think Andy wanted this in the worst way... to be playing his beautiful guitar in front of 20,000 people a night. It is exactly what he wanted! Not landing this was a major disappointment. Having said that Camel is one of my favorite bands and I'm thrilled with the work he has done since. Carry on Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Definitely correct, Andy nailed the guitar and looked to have the inside track for the gig but later in the process his voice proved to be his short coming. Frankly it was giving out. It had nothing to do with later health issues.

As for the chap who said he did not like this from the start, that Andy was way to talented to be just a band member... I agree with one of your thoughts, I would rather see Andy with Camel as well but you are delirious if you do not think Andy wanted this in the worst way... to be playing his beautiful guitar in front of 20,000 people a night. It is exactly what he wanted! Not landing this was a major disappointment. Having said that Camel is one of my favorite bands and I'm thrilled with the work he has done since. Carry on Andy!
    I agreed with that comment by Patelena396. The official story was it was Andy's voice, but seems a silly reason when Kilminster only did some vocals, and doesn't ring true. Believe what you want, and so will I.
    Patelena never said Andy didn't want the Waters gig, and I didn't agree with that either. He maybe wanted it, but it seems neither of us liked the idea, and weren't disappointed. As for 20,000 people a night, surely playing your own music to fans who love you for your own music is the best? I would think so anyway. Quality over quantity...
    So very pleased he's back playing with Camel!