Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asia 1st Remaster

The Enemy God

Asia 1st Remaster

I understood that a 30th anniversary Remaster was due couple of years back in boxed set format. Does anyone know what happened to this . Were there many tracks left from the initial sessions that weren't used? It would be good to have Astra remastered too. Odd that nothing seems to have been released.

You mean this?

http://tinmanmerchandising.com/produ...a#.VafkSPlVhBc

Appears to be exclusively available via their online store.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Wow. Nothing cheap about that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Damn. Hoping it would be this Asia:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Not sure if you want to pay a premium but the following are from cdjapan as Platinum SHM-CD.

Asia: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40019
    "HR cutting from the DSD master which was flat transferred from US original analogue master tapes in 2010."

Alpha: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40059
    "HR cutting [uses] DSD master in 2014 based on US original analog tape."

Astra: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40070
    "HR cutting [uses] DSD master in 2014 based on US original analog tape."
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Or try to get the release of this album on cd on the Audio Fidelity. It is the best version I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Damn. Hoping it would be this Asia:
    Thanks for posting that. Really good. That did get one legit CD issue, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Really good. That did get one legit CD issue, IIRC.
    Yes, I have it. Found it in a cutout bin with a water-damaged booklet (which I still have yet to read, mainly because the pages are stuck together!). I wasn’t expecting much, considering I had heard their precursor band—White Wing—who greatly disappointed me. The Asia albums are MUCH better, especially Armed to the Teeth, though “The Taming of the Bull” off of the debut is probably my #1 Asia song.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. Nothing cheap about that.
    That's why I don't have it.

If I can find a copy of the audio fidelity release for about $25 that would more than satisfy me.

Still have to pick up a copy of Gravitas.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post

Still have to pick up a copy of Gravitas.
    No, you really don't.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, you really don't.
    May I liberate yours then?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Valkyrie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Valkyrie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like 'Gravitas' but i enjoy Wetton/Downes material. The problem with the album is that Howe is definitely missed. Without his guitar sound, Asia doesn't sound quite like Asia but more so like an ICON or a Wetton solo album.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I like 'Gravitas' but i enjoy Wetton/Downes material. The problem with the album is that Howe is definitely missed. Without his guitar sound, Asia doesn't sound quite like Asia but more so like an ICON or a Wetton solo album.
    Agree 100%. Also, Howe was usually good for at least a co-write or two which added some variety to those albums.

I went ahead and purchased the three platinum SHMs I noted above for nothing more than curiosity. Damn, I am impressed. I was also impressed with the U.K. plat SHMs they released a few months back, too. So, of the three copies I currently have of the 1st album, here are my comparisons.

Original CD from mid 80s -
    a little murky, top end muted, close enough for rock and roll

30th remaster (with bonus track Ride Easy) -
    loud, compressed, harsh. This is the disc included in the Japanese version 30th anniversary boxed set from a few years back. As I understand it, the US version of the boxed set contained the standard Geffen disc. The Japanese version contained a remastered edition with the aforementioned bonus track. I hate to say this but I would recommend avoiding this 30th remaster.

New Platinum SHM -
    tons of clarity, three dimensional sound, wider dynamic range. This sounds much better than the others.

If you want the best sounding buy the the Platinum SHM version. Yeah, it is pricey but it really does sound better. Otherwise, pick up a standard release of the disc.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Agree 100%. Also, Howe was usually good for at least a co-write or two which added some variety to those albums.
    I agree. Losing Howe really takes a toll on the band's sound. I wish they could write another album like the 1st one but that's just a dream.
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I went ahead and purchased the three platinum SHMs I noted above for nothing more than curiosity.
    So you got Alpha and Astra as well? Did you have any chance to compare these as well? Would love to hear your opinion on those.

I went ahead and purchased the three platinum SHMs I noted above for nothing more than curiosity. Damn, I am impressed. I was also impressed with the U.K. plat SHMs they released a few months back, too. So, of the three copies I currently have of the 1st album, here are my comparisons.

loud, compressed, harsh. This is the disc included in the Japanese version 30th anniversary boxed set from a few years back. As I understand it, the US version of the boxed set contained the standard Geffen disc. The Japanese version contained a remastered edition with the aforementioned bonus track. I hate to say this but I would recommend avoiding this 30th remaster.

New Platinum SHM -
    tons of clarity, three dimensional sound, wider dynamic range. This sounds much better than the others.

If you want the best sounding buy the the Platinum SHM version. Yeah, it is pricey but it really does sound better. Otherwise, pick up a standard release of the disc.
    I was quite happy with the Asia Anthology (20th Anniversary) set that came out way back when - it contained the first 3 albums, the 3 b-sides, plus the 4 'new' tracks from 1990's Then & Now. I think this 2CD set was later repackaged as Asia 'Gold'. Any idea if the Asia SHM's are an upgrade over this?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    So you got Alpha and Astra as well? Did you have any chance to compare these as well? Would love to hear your opinion on those.
    Alpha -
    The other copy I have to compare to is a SHM from a few years back. Sorry. I can't find my old French pressing anywhere. The new platinum SHM has a little more separation and clarity than the old SHM (and its not platinum SHM... pfff ). Both sound very good. The platinum SHM contains the two bonus tracks Daylight and Lying To Yourself. Alpha sounds great although I wish they had originally mixed the bass guitar much hotter. You can barely hear it at times in the mixes and John Wetton still had a distorted sound similar to his late UK days (switching to Marshall heads from the Hiwatts by that time). IIRC even John Wetton has mentioned he would love to see Alpha remixed. Still a pretty cool album though!

Astra -
    I only have a MCA Special Products version to compare with and I honestly don't hear much of a difference. Then again maybe its because I forgot how little I care for this album. God why did I buy this again? FWIW, the tracking is different.

Please keep in mind I do not claim to be a competent audiophile nor do I have ears nearly as good as Jeff Carney. Seriously. Ask Jeff about the sound quality if you want some info to base your purchasing decisions.

asia.jpg

alpha.jpg

astra.jpg

asia_alpha_astra.jpg
    Last edited by timmy; 07-24-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    I was quite happy with the Asia Anthology (20th Anniversary) set that came out way back when - it contained the first 3 albums, the 3 b-sides, plus the 4 'new' tracks from 1990's Then & Now. I think this 2CD set was later repackaged as Asia 'Gold'. Any idea if the Asia SHM's are an upgrade over this?
    Never owned copies of the items you listed. Sorry. But it sounds like you're all set with that Anthology. I vaguely remember that coming out. Was that the booklet type deal similar to the Cream Those Were the Days 4 disc'er?
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

listening to Sole Survivor right now and Steve Howe's playing, his guitar sound... just sounds F__KING awesome. I get that people don't like that the songs lean towards pop but this first Asia album really is a great F__KING album.
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

New Platinum SHM -

Looks like I'm sticking with the originals and the anthology then. Thanks.

I'm into Downes/Wetton too so I'll still be on the hunt for Gravitas (and the Audio Fidelity release) as well.

listening to Sole Survivor right now and Steve Howe's playing, his guitar sound... just sounds F__KING awesome. I get that people don't like that the songs lean towards pop but this first Asia album really is a great F__KING album.
    It is a really good album, and sadly I think it's gotten a bad rap in part because of how badly Asia fell off the cliff after that.

What really works for me about the first album are all the peculiar little sonic touches on it, many provided by Howe.

For those of us of a certain age, ASIA still brings back bitter memories. Those were the darkest days for Prog. When we heard that members of Yes, King Crimson and ELP were getting together, every Proghead I knew was thrilled. As I remember, we all felt the same way about UK, then they imploded and Asia came along, only to disappoint us all over again.

It was at that point that I finally got it through my thick skull that Prog was dead, Jim. But Prog would rise again, and ASIA's debut is a solid AOR/Arena Rock album. In retrospect. But back when it came out...
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I think Asia is a great debut album. I suppose it's easier for me because I had an idea what to expect as I didn't hear it until 20 years or so after it came out. I think every musician on it delivers strong performances and the writing is consistently strong.

I dug out Alpha again a few days ago but it's never really grown on me. It feels like a more-of-the-same album, the production is more bloated and the songs just aren't as good- 'The Smile Has Left Your Eyes' is the clear highlight for me. I find myself liking 2008's 'Phoenix' much more, it's more varied.