Thread: Progressive Rock Radio in Boston

Banned

Progressive Rock Radio in Boston

A friend told me that there was an FM (HD?) station in Boston that plays old and new Prog. I did a short search and came up with this article:
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/business/media/wbcn-progressive-rock-station-returns-on-hd.html?_r=0&referrer=

Dies anybody know if this station is the one, or is there another station closer to the mark?

The actual FM radio station went to a sports format a few years ago. Apparently they are trying a digital station with a rock format. Not sure BCN was ever "Progressive Rock" as we generally know it here. They did a lot of underground stuff in the late 60s/early 70s, then morphed into more of a alt/indie rock station in the 80s, still with a fair dose of harder stuff. They did play a lot of music you wouldn't hear on other stations, but little if any was "Prog Rock."

I've never listened to the digital station, there's info on it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBCN_%28FM%29

Bill

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    To radio programming types, "progressive" refers to the wider variety of music allowed in playlists, not the Prog genre.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    The actual FM radio station went to a sports format a few years ago. Apparently they are trying a digital station with a rock format. Not sure BCN was ever "Progressive Rock" as we generally know it here. They did a lot of underground stuff in the late 60s/early 70s, then morphed into more of a alt/indie rock station in the 80s, still with a fair dose of harder stuff. They did play a lot of music you wouldn't hear on other stations, but little if any was "Prog Rock."

I've never listened to the digital station, there's info on it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBCN_%28FM%29

Bill
    So in your opinion, Boston does not have a Prog rock station now, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    So in your opinion, Boston does not have a Prog rock station now, correct?
    Well, as I said I haven't actually heard the digital iteration of 'BCN. But what most here would consider "Prog Rock" was never their claim to fame. My guess is they do some alt-rock, indie rock, maybe even some post-rock. If that's what you're after, by all means give them a listen. But I don't think they are even vaguely aware of the modern "Prog" scene that constitutes the majority (though by no means all) of the bands we discuss here.

As Dave says, "progressive" has different meanings, particularly in regard to radio where progressive is a term that is often used interchangeably with "indie" or "alt-rock." So the answer depends a bit on what you're after. But I don't think you're going to hear a lot of "Progressive Rock" as it's generally defined in our little world on the digital 'BCN.

Bill

Banned
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Well, as I said I haven't actually heard the digital iteration of 'BCN. But what most here would consider "Prog Rock" was never their claim to fame. My guess is they do some alt-rock, indie rock, maybe even some post-rock. If that's what you're after, by all means give them a listen. But I don't think they are even vaguely aware of the modern "Prog" scene that constitutes the majority (though by no means all) of the bands we discuss here.

As Dave says, "progressive" has different meanings, particularly in regard to radio where progressive is a term that is often used interchangeably with "indie" or "alt-rock." So the answer depends a bit on what you're after. But I don't think you're going to hear a lot of "Progressive Rock" as it's generally defined in our little world on the digital 'BCN.

Bill
    I understand, I really just wanted to know if there is a Prog rock station Boston, Prog meaning the front page definition on PE. I guess my friend is confused. I'll see if I can get BCN on the Internet.

Banned
    This playlist is Classic AOR IMO:

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/playlist/

Banned
    I’m listening to @freeformbcn on TuneIn. Check it out here http://tun.in/seLzu

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I understand, I really just wanted to know if there is a Prog rock station Boston, Prog meaning the front page definition on PE. I guess my friend is confused. I'll see if I can get BCN on the Internet.
    Definitely your friend is confused, no Prog Rock radio station in Boston like that at all. Wish it were otherwise.

Bill

As a sign of actual intelligence in the world, there's been more and more Prog radio shows coming on line at different independent FM stations in southern New England. The Prog Show on our station is called "The Greatest Show From Earth", and has been broadcasting from the University of Hartford for almost 40 years. Frank Zappa did a promo for us back in '82. Our show reaches almost to Worcester, but not to Boston.
    Live: Sundays 9-12PM 91.3FM
    Streaming and Archived at wwuh.org/
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org