Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starcastle live albums ?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Starcastle live albums ?

I have Concert Classics Vol. 5, live '78, tracklist:
    1 Shine On Brightly 5:10
    2 Forces 5:51
    3 Can't Think Twice 3:43
    4 Could This Be Love 3:37
    5 Change In Time 4:31
    6 Lady Of The Lake 10:42
    7 Breath And Thunder 6:02
    8 Fountains Of Light 9:50

...and just stumbled on a used copy of "Shine On Brightly", Live in Boston 8/12/79, tracklist:

1. Shine On Brightly
    2. Forces
    3. Can't Think Twice
    4. Could This Be Love
    5. Change In Time
    6. Lady Of The Lake
    7. Breath And Thunder
    8. Fountains Of Light

Run times are seconds different. Are these in fact the same release, the CC Vol. 5 misdated (no info re: venue)?

I also have the Renaissance label "Vol 5", Rick.

My intuition (and nothing more) says "yes" to your question.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post

...and just stumbled on a used copy of "Shine On Brightly", Live in Boston 8/12/79, tracklist:

1. Shine On Brightly
    2. Forces
    3. Can't Think Twice
    4. Could This Be Love
    5. Change In Time
    6. Lady Of The Lake
    7. Breath And Thunder
    8. Fountains Of Light

Run times are seconds different. Are these in fact the same release, the CC Vol. 5 misdated (no info re: venue)?
    I think they are. I have "Shine On Brightly" and I seem to remember the same live stuff being released under two different titles.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Being what Starcastle are, they'll eventually release something such as Starcastle: Seven Shows From Seventy-Seven.

1. Shine On Brightly
    2. Forces
    3. Can't Think Twice
    4. Could This Be Love
    5. Change In Time
    6. Lady Of The Lake
    7. Breath And Thunder
    8. Fountains Of Light

They are,but you all need to know that members of the band have told me that the Renaissance cd was released without their approval or blessing,but John Edwards the CEO of that company didn't seem to mind. Starcastle has not received one penny in royalties from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    Being what Starcastle are, they'll eventually release something such as Starcastle: Seven Shows From Seventy-Seven.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    They are,but you all need to know that members of the band have told me that the Renaissance cd was released without their approval or blessing,but John Edwards the CEO of that company didn't seem to mind. Starcastle has not received one penny in royalties from it.
    I'll try to grab a torrent or something then.

Didn't Renaissance also release the UK Live (from the Paradise show in Boston iirc) against the band's wishes? ( I have that one as well, signed by Holdsworth who did look somewhat askance at the item when I asked him to sign it). And apparently there's yet a third version of this same disc, per discogs. com: "Live in America"--" This is a reissue of Concert Classics Volume 5; it has also been released by Burning Airlines under the title "Shine On Brightly". All three releases cover the live recording from August 12th, 1979 in Boston, MA. " So the '78 date of the CC release is clearly in error. BTW, brought the disc on the a.m. commute...forgot how fine the musicianship (if not the vox) was in this band.

Xeroxgeny?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Xeroxgeny?
    Xeroxgeny recapitulates progeny.

And, you know, I would be first in line to buy that....

...but at least three will be the same show!

Didn't Renaissance also release the UK Live (from the Paradise show in Boston iirc) against the band's wishes?
    Yes, and a Strawbs one from the Deadlines tour. All are shady releases (the bands weren't paid, and my copies at least are CDR's), but good recordings.

I have the Strawbs release also.

I have The Strawbs one somewhere. Haven't spun it in a long time.

iirc, didn't that one show the wrong lineup on the cover?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Didn't Renaissance also release the UK Live (from the Paradise show in Boston iirc) against the band's wishes? ( I have that one as well, signed by Holdsworth who did look somewhat askance at the item when I asked him to sign it). And apparently there's yet a third version of this same disc, per discogs. com: "Live in America"--" This is a reissue of Concert Classics Volume 5; it has also been released by Burning Airlines under the title "Shine On Brightly". All three releases cover the live recording from August 12th, 1979 in Boston, MA. " So the '78 date of the CC release is clearly in error. BTW, brought the disc on the a.m. commute...forgot how fine the musicianship (if not the vox) was in this band.
    Yep! And Live In Boston is the same performance as Concert Classics IV. Eddie Jobson and John Wetton were furious when these were released w/o their consent.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is this the same Renaissance that reissued the Devil Doll albums?

Renaissance also reissued almost the entire catalog of one of my favorite 70s-80s non-prog bands, the UK's Charlie. I have all of those, and now you're telling me the assholes stole the OTHER Terry Thomas's $?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I had totally forgotten about the snippit of Firebird Suite they threw in there. Can't recall whether they were playing down the Yes association at the time, but if so, why slip that in the mix?

I had totally forgotten about the snippit of Firebird Suite they threw in there. Can't recall whether they were playing down the Yes association at the time, but if so, why slip that in the mix?
    Their bass player,Gary Strater(RIP) was obviously a huge Chris Squire fan,so why not a bit of Firebird as a small homage? I love Starcastle except the extremely non-prog Real To Reel.

Hi Terry, I have a question that you may know the answer. First off,there is a Starcastle thread about that Renaissance Records live album,Concert Classics Vol. 5 at www.progressiveears.org and someone asked why the bass solo in Lady Of The Lake has a small snippet of Firebird? With all due respect I did remind them that Gary is sadly no longer with us and also made an assumption that he was probably a major Chris Squire fan. Anyway,if you wouldn't mind sharing this info it would be much appreciated. Cheers.Rand.
    Progressive Ears
    Progressive rock discussion, polls, and reviews. Very active prog rock message board. Online resource for all things prog!
    progressiveears.org

Directly from Terry Luttrell just 5 min. ago on facebook, he told me:
    The song writers in the band.... Steve, Gary, Herb & myself were very big Classical Music Fans...as if you couldn't tell...Gary & I were big Stravinsky fans...Gary placed that snip of The Firebird there to honor Stravinsky...!!

Terry also let me know I was correct about getting no money for the cds put out by Renaissance Records. They screwed the band majorly.
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 07-16-2015 at 03:34 AM.

Thanks for making that inquiry Rand, and thanks to Terry for the response. I am digging revisiting the live album, although I notice what sounds like a tape roll somewhere around the 4 minute mark during "Fountains". Anyone else's copy (or version, since there are apparently three...did the band receive any royalties from any of these releases?) have this anomoly?

[QUOTE=rickawakeman;434048]Thanks for making that inquiry Rand, and thanks to Terry for the response. I am digging revisiting the live album, although I notice what sounds like a tape roll somewhere around the 4 minute mark during "Fountains". Anyone else's copy (or version, since there are apparently three...did the band receive any royalties from any of these releases?

That would be a huge NO!

Rand:Terry,is it okay with you to share this with my fellow proggers?
    Terry:Yes Rand and thanks for asking.

Rand:Sure, I think it's awesome to talk to people from bands I have been a fan of. Since the debut was released in 1976 I instantly fell in love with it. Sunfield is my fave.

Terry:There is a lot of music on those four albums...
    Rand:Fountains Of Light is my top fave of your albums. Something about that just hits all the right buttons ya know?

Also,I feel really lucky to have scored Chronos 1 about 10 years ago. That is quite under-known and underrated yes?
    Oh! I almost forgot Terry, did Renaissance release that live album despite Starcastle's blessing?

Terry:Chronos.... Was our work tapes for Fountains.... I saved everything we recorded... Gary and I worked on restoring those tapes for quite awhile before it became final product...am still looking into the Renaissance thing... Difficult.... Since they are a French label...

In kindness I never asked him about REO Speedwagon.
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 07-16-2015 at 03:31 PM.

If I remember correctly, there was some sort of glitch on the Renaissance label Starcastle live CD I have ( I haven't listened to it in quite some time for that very reason).

The Strawbs is so bad. One of John Hawken's Minimoogs goes out of tune so far it will make you nuts. I returned the cd to the store.