Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have Live Albums Declined In Quality?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Have Live Albums Declined In Quality?

I started this on the main board because it seems to pertain mainly to Prog.

Now that everyone and their grandmother releases live DVDs/Blu-Rays all the time, which usually include live CDs featuring the audio, do you think the quality of live albums has declined? Or is it better because they're full shows with fewer overdubs (or are there?)?

I can't remember many audio-only live releases for quite a while now - the S Wilson one from the GfD tour comes to mind.

I don't mind the video releases, but I do prefer the CDs to the DVDs/B-Rs.

Compared to way back when, the quality has greatly improved. Technology has vastly increased while the price of technology has dropped significantly. Back in the day, lesser known bands were lucky to record live on 8 tracks. Today, it's no sweat to record on 16, 24 or more tracks. Other equipment like mixers and mics have also become less expensive. Bands can now use more more channels on their mixers, and way more and way better mics.
    Last edited by AZProgger; 07-14-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZProgger View Post
    Compared to way back when, the quality has greatly improved. Technology has vastly increased while the price of technology has dropped significantly. Back in the day, lesser known bands were lucky to record live on 8 tracks. Today, it's no sweat to record on 16, 24 or more tracks. Other equipment like mixers and mics have also become less expensive. Bands can now use more more channels on their mixers, and way more and way better mics.
    BTW, I don't mean audio quality as much as I mean the "curation" of the live recordings. Which is a more successfully executed live album for the respective artist Zappa's "Roxy and Elsewhere" (is that the title?) or Transatlantic's "Once is Never Enough" CDs for example?

I never bother with them anymore. The recording quality of most now is so slick they sound just like the studio versions. And as noted, there are too many...certain bands now seem to release them on every tour they do.

The live album at its best should add something to the studio versions.

I think the problem with the DVD/BR is that the choice of material is a balance between acceptable audio and video, rather than just going for the best audio. I occasionally play a DVD/BR with the picture off and the sound is never as good as on an audio only release. Further to that, as bands 'mine' their archives more completely, turds are inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, I don't mean audio quality as much as I mean the "curation" of the live recordings. Which is a more successfully executed live album for the respective artist Zappa's "Roxy and Elsewhere" (is that the title?) or Transatlantic's "Once is Never Enough" CDs for example?
    I'd agree, if Roxy was actually a live album. I was of the understanding that it was so heavily overdubbed and polished that it was really a studio/live hybrid (like many of FZ's later '70s releases). The Helsinki concert is is the real Roxy band live album (officially released).

Has there been a live album of any kind which has become a latter-day classic, a la 'Made In Japan', 'Live/Dead', 'Live And Dangerous', 'Live At The Regal' etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'd agree, if Roxy was actually a live album. I was of the understanding that it was so heavily overdubbed and polished that it was really a studio/live hybrid (like many of FZ's later '70s releases). The Helsinki concert is is the real Roxy band live album (officially released).
    Substitute Roxy with the live album of your choice - I just thought it was well regarded but I'm really not that familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Has there been a live album of any kind which has become a latter-day classic, a la 'Made In Japan', 'Live/Dead', 'Live And Dangerous', 'Live At The Regal' etc.?
    I would actually say Marillion's "Best of Leamington" and "Best of Montreal" 2CDs culled from those two 2013 weekends are great. As I recall they have identical set lists but both are excellent. They released those because they'd already released the full Port Zealand weekend on B-R/CD but knew people wanted recordings from the other two.

Substitute Roxy with the live album of your choice - I just thought it was well regarded but I'm really not that familiar with it.
    It's incredibly well-regarded by most - and by me as well; I just have hard time figuring out how to consider it.

No, live albums/recordings have vastly improved and most of them are NOT multi-CD/DVD/BR packages. Even classic live albums from past decades get bettered these days by splendid archival recordings from live vaults (providing that you are not an ardent fan of fake live recordings chopped and overdubbed in studio).

Zappa's "Roxy & Elsewhere" or Transatlantic's "Once is Never Enough"? That is a false alternative.

Forget about the studio-doctored R&E - get "Road Tapes #2" instead. It is mind-boggling.

Transatlantic? Waiting 30 minutes for a meagre 3-minute long shy improvisation - not for me. But I guess that is what their audience expects, a faithful reproduction of their epics. I'd rather go with official bootlegs of Portnoy's former band from the 90s, the times before they contracted the same malaise from Jordan Rudess.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-14-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Rock's popularity and influence has waned significantly in past three decades, so it is hard to compare latter-day albums to the genre's classic period. However, there have been quite a few well received live albums in the "mainstream" rock from contemporary acts, e.g. Spiritualized - "Royal Albert Hall" (1997), Wilco - "Kickin' Television" (2005) or Gary Clark Jr - "Live" (2014)...

As I mentioned in another thread, I preferred when live albums were more of an event. Back in the day, bands would release them after a few studio albums and it made the anticipation for. live album much greater. At the point, the process has become oversaturated and some artists that I like have released so many live albums that I hardly buy them anymore. The quality of these releases may be good, but honestly how many live albums by one artist does a person need?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    No, live albums/recordings have vastly improved and most of them are NOT multi-CD/DVD/BR packages. Even classic live albums from past decades get bettered these days by splendid archival recordings from live vaults (providing that you are not an ardent fan of fake live recordings chopped and overdubbed in studio).

Zappa's "Roxy & Elsewhere" or Transatlantic's "Once is Never Enough"? That is a false alternative.

Forget about the studio-doctored R&E - get "Road Tapes #2" instead. Mind-boggling.

Transatlantic? Waiting 30 minutes for a meagre 3-minute long shy improvisation - not for me. But I guess that is what their audience expects, a faithful reproduction of their epics. I'd rather go with official bootlegs of Portnoy's former band from the 90s, the times before they contracted the same malaise from Jordan Rudess.
    I'm only talking about new releases, not reissues.

I'm only talking about new releases, not reissues.
    Still better today. Whoever can play has usually at least one live recording on offer, and the acts with a sizeable following tend to document each tour with at least one compilation or a full show recording.

Compare it to the formers times where many top live acts did not have a single live album from their best period. It was rather the scarcity of great live recordings that elevated the best live albums available to their cult status than anything else. These days one may only suffer from the overabundance of options, but I am not going to complain.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-14-2015 at 07:20 PM.

I never bother with them anymore. The recording quality of most now is so slick they sound just like the studio versions.
    Maybe it is time to try other performers.

Classic LIVE albums: I'd add: The Who's LIVE at Leeds

JH: Band of Gypsys

I can't remember many audio-only live releases for quite a while now - the S Wilson one from the GfD tour comes to mind.
    My copy of of this came with 2 audio CDs, DVD, and BluRay.

I think its just market oversaturation mainly. Not only can I get DVD/BRD, but I can download recent shows by many bands that are board recordings sanctioned by that band. This saturation makes it less "special" and less of an event.

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post

I think its just market oversaturation mainly. Not only can I get DVD/BRD, but I can download recent shows by many bands that are board recordings sanctioned by that band. This saturation makes it less "special" and less of an event.
    I think he may be referring to the single disc Catalog | Preserve | Amass, released independently and originally available (if I remember correctly) at shows but then later through Wilson's website. A superb "stopgap" until the full show of Get All You Deserve, some of CPA's live tracks were better than those on GAYD...and they certainly demonstrated how differently Wilson's band approached the material, night after night. And with a good Blu Ray/DVD audio ripper, I can create my own audio versions of the albums if they're only released in video formats.

While the proliferation of soundboard life recordings has impacted the release of more fully produced live albums, I think they add value in certain cases...like the Allman Brothers tour releases in recent years. But I don't think the quality of fully produced live albums had diminished...and I, for one, love live shows so if I cannot see a group live I'm always happy to hear them live on disc.
    Last edited by jkelman; 07-15-2015 at 08:48 AM.

I think that the quality of live albums has improved considerably - sound wise at least. This I would put down to better equipment and availability of keyboard-based systems/effects pedals that can deliver sounds that are almost identical to the recorded versions.

Alas the downside to this is that many live albums are becoming straight forward copies of the studio album tracks and many bands are falling into this trap. It is almost becoming karaoke.
    Where's the spontaneity gone? A bit of improvisation at least?

The limited stage equipment in the past meant that bands had to find other ways of filling in for the missing studio sounds and that made the live albums (and shows) far more interesting.

Has there been a truly essential live album released since the 70's?

The live album at its best should add something to the studio versions.
    unless used as a good introduction to a band (used as a some kind of "Best Of"), I'd say that indeed, Live albums' main point (for moi, anyways) was to give us something different than the studio version

Yup, though it might be a little early to tell for modern prog bands, but these essential 70's albums were instant (or almost-instant) classics...

from rthe 90's, outside Arc+Weld (though one could arguably do with Rust Never Sleeps/Live Rust and not this one) and the Unplugged series, I don't find many essential live album

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I think that the quality of live albums has improved considerably - sound wise at least. This I would put down to better equipment and availability of keyboard-based systems/effects pedals that can deliver sounds that are almost identical to the recorded versions.
    There is no doubt that the bands can play closer what they achieved in the studio, that live recording techniques direct or soundboard), etc... but wowie.... WGaS??

Has there been a truly essential live album released since the 70's?
    IMHO, not really (except for the few 90's I just named above)
    I suppose some might find that UZ, Magma, Present and other surviving RIO bands have made excellent live albums, but are they mythical??

Not that I've bought many modern prog live albums over the last three decades, but from the ones I tried (Anglagard, Sinkadus, Paatos or Anekdoten), only one is a minor classic (the latter's Live in Japan)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

You want a good live album, go to Dime and find a soundboard or FM recording, grab it and listen and be satisfied. There are even some posters who have excellent equipment and the venues like Catalina's or Yoshi's will produce a top quality audience recording. I just listened to a Zawinul Syndicate from 98 at Yoshi's that was an excellent audience recording.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    ...... Back in the day, bands would release them after a few studio albums .....
    Pre-personal computer; Pre-Internet

Back in the day, if a musician or group wanted to put their product out there, they needed to rent studio time. Sure, they were 4-track machines that a demo could be made with, but it took committment (and money) to 'record'. And then it took footwork to get it the masses. Yes, the label/management would handle it, but still, it was a process.

Today, music can be created and placed on the Internet in a day (hopefully a little longer than that, but I'm sure some of the stuff out there was within a day)

Live albums were a treat; they were an investment by the band/management/label. 'Patelena396' called it 'an event' in post #13. I agree.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Sound wise they sounds Much better today ,but as said before in this thread they are so common nowadays ,with so many bands releasing live cds/dvds after nearly every tour,so mostly i dont bother today.
    It was different back in the days when a live recording was a happening

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post

Oh, yeah, I think I only bought the CDs. At least if there's a cd only release they should theoretically do a better job.