Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slapp Happy Acnalbasac Noom

Slapp Happy Acnalbasac Noom

Let me just state here this is one of my favorite albums ever.
    Slapp Happy's charm is hard to describe to the non-initiated
    There are so much going for this album.
    First songwriting - such an abundance of great writing and strong melodies quirky ? yup but catchy !
    Dagmar Krause nothing to add she is the star of the show her voice dominates the album and shows such a huge leap forward from Sort Of
    The rhythm section ... well here we can see Zapi and Jean herve can be extremely flexible and play for what the music calls for without trying to hard to impress.
    Peter Blegvad man I love the guitars here simple ? maybe but SO effective and tasteful .
    Oh and the sound ... its master Kurt Graupner Faust's engineer so it sound wonderful
    Can't recommend this enough !

Definitely a good one! This one took one listen to get its hooks in me... a rare thing for me. It's like a really great entree layered with flavors and aplomb!

Yes, this is lovely.
    I haven't played it in a while so this post is a nice nudge.

Pop music for smart people.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Big fan. Really like this and Sort Of very much.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I may be the only person around here who actually prefers the more slicked-up Virgin version.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Pop music for smart people.
    I heard people say this about XTC and later found Andy Partridge collaborated frequently with Blegvad

My first ex-wife's fave album. I turned her on to this before I turned her on to myself. Gave the CD away to her when we split, though. But I kept the ReR vinyl.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What does the title mean?

Just kidding!

Casablanca Moon spelled backwards

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks, but I was just kidding - it was so darned obvious.

I need this.

I have the twofer with Casablanca Moon and Desperate Straights. Love them both, but never heard Acnalbasac Noon. Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I have the twofer with Casablanca Moon and Desperate Straights. Love them both, but never heard Acnalbasac Noon. Should I?
    It's got Faust as "backing band" and comes across a bit rawer 'round the edges, and IMO the overtly direct production suits the music a bit better as well. The original CM is excellent, but you'll probably want to hear AN of you dig that one.

I've got the twofer myself, and it's a strange pairing indeed; the naivite of nostalgic cabaret pop versus avant-garde dada song-form bliss. Both are outstanding in each one's own right.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

So Acnalbasac Noon is the original recording of Casablanca Moon (aka Slapp Happy) - a rerecording - was the one originally released. Phew.

chalkpie
    This album still eludes me - I've been wanting to hear it. Love Casablanca Moon proper, though.

BTW, How great is it they there are so many threads on page one right now that are Cow, Frith, Dagmar, Blegvad, Cutler, etc related? I say Keep this up

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

BTW, How great is it they there are so many threads on page one right now that are Cow, Frith, Dagmar, Blegvad, Cutler, etc related? I say Keep this up
    And it's the same 5 guys commenting in them!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I need this.
    You do, actually.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's got Faust as "backing band" and comes across a bit rawer 'round the edges, and IMO the overtly direct production suits the music a bit better as well.
    MUCH better, IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

So Acnalbasac Noon is the original recording of Casablanca Moon (aka Slapp Happy) - a rerecording - was the one originally released. Phew.
    Yes.

I believe the group shopped AN and were turned down. They were signed by Virgin, but only if they agreed to redo the album.

The first version didn't come out until the very early 80s, iirc.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

chalkpie
    And it's the same 5 guys commenting in them!
    That's fine because in my normal day-to-day real life travels I usually meet this many people that are into and/or want to discuss this music: zero.

The Drum is such a crazy tune. That guitar always makes me smile. What a cool friggin song. Timeless. So many flavors in it... hidden and yet - not. What the hell!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That's fine because in my normal day-to-day real life travels I usually meet this many people that are into and/or want to discuss this music: zero.
    Too true! My cousin saw where I was posting Art Bears on Facebook today. Her comment? "???"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You do, actually.
    Well that's that, then! I just put the link in my 'Wayside Wishlist' folder in my e-mail (which worryingly contains about 10 links - including a Frith CD).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I may be the only person around here who actually prefers the more slicked-up Virgin version.
    No youre not, another vote in favour of the Virgin version.
    Surprisingly enough, I actually find the Faust backing to be more rigid than the Virgin one.

I've been meaning to get AN for a while but somehow I always favour picking up other stuff. Someday I must try it, many people whose opinion I trust insist it's very good :-)