Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magellan-Hour of Restoration & Impending Ascension re-release!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Leonardo-The Absolute Man?
    That's the one! Labrie's vocals on this are top drawer!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ That's pretty good as I recall.

So sorry to hear about Wayne. Those Explorer's Club discs of Trent's were also pretty good. I believe Steve Howe and Steve Walsh were on one or both of them.

Currently,Trent is heavily involved with Chicago and Robert Lamm. Eventually I would not be surprised to see an expanded collaboration in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I listened to "Impending Ascension" today. Still a great album, really. It's a shame Magellan never did anything as a live outfit; with a real live rhythm section propelling things along, most of these songs would have cooked.
    I don't remember the exact circumstances, but at one point they were trying to put something live together as there were some very limited talks with ProgDay. Nothing ever came of it though.

Impending Ascension is probably their best despite the drum machine. There's a lot of great melodies and chord progressions in "Estadium Nacional" and "Waterfront Weirdos." I've never been crazy about Trent's vocals, but they're not intolerable and some of his writing is really good. I like some of the tracks on "Test of Wills" too (and a real drummer certainly helped that one), but I got off the bus after "One Hundred Year Flood;" didn't really like any of it. Magellan was sort of a guilty pleasure of mine for a while; something I wouldn't want to play for any of my friends but enjoyed (at least in parts) in the privacy of headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    DT's Images & Words, Threshold's Wounded Land, and Magellan's Impending Ascension were the 3 albums that put me on the path to discover new prog music circa 1993.
    Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Magna Carta are also re-releasing the debut and subsequent follow-up album of Shadow Gallery in august.The debut album features the epic Queen of the City of Ice! Good news indeed!
    mmmhhh!!!... I was lucky enough to have already discovred AnglaDotenBerk by the time budduies told me about Magellan, Shadow Gallery, Cairo and dream Theatre, and luckily so, because if it had been the other way around, I'd probably have not cared to find out about the swedish prog revival, because I was totally unimpressed with those US bands.

=======================

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I bought Hour of Restoration at a record store on cassette!
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I had it on cassette, too. Might be the last one I ever bought. I had Impending Ascension on CD, but I saw the HoR tape and went for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I also found one of these used on cassette for like a buck, but then found it on CD (used). I still have the cassette somewhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the last cassette I bought since I already had CDs at that point. It was all the store had.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Yeah I originally got the cassette of Hour of Restoration for like $3 from Ranjit.
    Then you have vinyl nazis who claimed that the CD killed (or attempted to) the vinyl ... Actually the pre-recorded cassette killed vinyl, and Cd killed the cassette.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I loved Magellan, so sad to hear about Waynes death.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I got off the bus after "One Hundred Year Flood;"
    I felt the same way about that album; it did nothing for me. However, there's some good stuff on "Impossible Figures." I put it on every now and again. I actually love "A World Groove," though I can imagine others here might not. I heard a lot of negative things about "Symphony for a Misanthrope" so I just never picked it up. Maybe I should put it back on my radar.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Thumbs up from me for HoR - brilliant from start to finish. And I don't mind the programmed drums, nor do I hear anything to dislike about Trent's vocals. Impending Acs has a couple of weaker tracks but the 3 epics are, well epic! Spin them both regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Impending Ascension is probably their best despite the drum machine. There's a lot of great melodies and chord progressions in "Estadium Nacional" and "Waterfront Weirdos." I've never been crazy about Trent's vocals, but they're not intolerable and some of his writing is really good. I like some of the tracks on "Test of Wills" too (and a real drummer certainly helped that one), but I got off the bus after [...]. Magellan was sort of a guilty pleasure of mine for a while; something I wouldn't want to play for any of my friends but enjoyed
    Impending and Test are reasonably OK, the rest of them not. Laughably pompous and campy mock-rock to begin with, but the only Magna Carta releases I ever cared for.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM