Thread: Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre rerecording fan pack

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre rerecording fan pack

Got this for Christmas, and I'm really enjoying the special all Rick magazine and also the reproduction of the program. I didn't order the Rush - CW fan pack because I thought it just came with a shirt - did it come with a special magazine like this too? If so, I'd have bought it if I'd known.

Banned
    where/how did you get this in the United States?

Got mine from Laser's Edge.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    where/how did you get this in the United States?
    You just participated in a thread where this was discussed and links given.

Time to double up on the coffee intake?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    You just participated in a thread where this was discussed and links given.

Time to double up on the coffee intake?
    well excuuuuuuuuuuuuse meeeeeeee

I got it from LE too.

So did the Rush fan pack have a special magazine too?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I got it from LE too.

So did the Rush fan pack have a special magazine too?
    Yes, it came with a 132-page magazine.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

stupid me, ordered it on ebay from the UK and got only the CD, no magazine

Just got my cd/magazine from the UK yesterday

I got this and love it! I'm a huge fan of the original, so you can understand my excitement to listen to this knowing there would be about 20 minutes of new content that Rick says should have been there all along. Needless to say, the sound quality and musicianship is top-notch. The new material blends seamlessly with the old, such that I didn't immediately notice when shifting in/out of the new content. Since I know the old content very well, I am having a hard time adjusting to having new female vocals for where I expect male vocals. She has excellent talent, but it's like listening to a cover of your very favorite song, tough to accept (for me, at least). I also miss the live ending with the crowd erupting at the end of the climactic finish. Now, it's a studio recording so it ends to...silence. To be honest, I'm not sure which I'll come back to over time. Maybe both versions, I suppose.

By the way, the magazine/poster/tour book are wonderful additions. The magazine covers just about anything you'd want to know about making the 1974 version as well as the new 2012 version.

Fans of this album should do what they must to get their hands on this. Because it's a fan-pack, I'm not sure how available this will be a year from now or beyond.

--------------------
    Moongate Climber

The cheapest prices I have seen for these CD and Magazine combo packs is http://www.importcds.com/. They are pretty efficient and so far have not lost an order. Most orders take a week or two to arrive. Although it did take them 60 days to backorder and mail the BOC box set I ordered in early November. But for the sale price of $64 (half the price of other vendors), I was willing to wait a few weeks. I like LE and frequently use them but at times they are a little steep on the price and postage.
    Last edited by thx5150; 12-28-2012 at 07:35 PM.

I'm pretty sure LE always does whatever they can to make the prices as reasonable as possible. Whenever there's an unusually high price, they explain the reason for it. Basically it has to do with what they're charged.

I'm disappointed as the thread title drew me in expecting that a RW fanny pack was being marketed

Can't handle the narration of the record, but this I would have been interested in

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I'd like to know what sort of synth patches RW uses here. Are we in the gorgeous retro landscape of Moogs and Trons here? Or must we endure this cheezy but beloved classic through a gauze of digital plinky plonk sounds?
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

I have to say the CD sounds pretty vintage to me - it does NOT sound like it was just recorded. Sounds very good to me, but I'm not very familiar with the original. The weird thing is that although Rick says this is the way he thinks the album should have sounded all along, he also says he loves the way the original sounded.

The thing I'm NOT enjoying about the magazine, being about 2/3 through it now, is how repetitive it is. There's a LOT of good stuff, but also a few things that get mentioned over and over in multiple articles, like there was no attempt to edit the thing as a whole and avoid repetition. But I've been reading it every chance I get, so it's obviously enjoyable, to me anyway.

This release will be re-released shortly, according to Rick, with a new cover by Roger Dean. This is the quote from Rick's site:

"Whilst on the subject of Roger, after the fan-pack of Journey has run its course, it will then get another release with a label yet to be decided, (pleased to say there’s a choice at the moment), and it will have a specially designed cover by Roger, so the tradition continues."

I've had this for a while now and my conclusion is if you liked the original then you'll love the new studio version.
    It's better on every level - makes the original live album sound like a bootleg!
    The extra music helps pace the narration which dominates less as a result.
    If this gets a release with a 5.1 mix (and it really deserves one) then I'll buy it again.

Might have to pick this up, though I'll wait for the cd only version.