Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: echolyn - I Heard You Listening

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wait - didn't this same kind of thread happen with the last Echolyn album? I seem to recall a very similar title.
    It was meant more as tongue-in-cheek because I got so much crap from people here for my 'Mind-Blowing" title and if I want to start my own echolyn review thread so what? - it's not like there aren't a crap-ton of Yes threads on. I swear....people bust on me for being a fanboy but there are people on here if Jon Anderson crapped on stage they would say how awesome the shape of his shit was lol
    echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Quote Originally Posted by echolynfan View Post
    It was meant more as tongue-in-cheek because I got so much crap from people here for my 'Mind-Blowing" title and if I want to start my own echolyn review thread so what? - it's not like there aren't a crap-ton of Yes threads on. I swear....people bust on me for being a fanboy but there are people on here if Jon Anderson crapped on stage they would say how awesome the shape of his shit was lol
    You're right. Want to get attention? Throw a superlative on the thread title. Sensationalism works.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    You're right. Want to get attention? Throw a superlative on the thread title. Sensationalism works.
    Exactly right my friend
    echolynfan

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So are we gonna have a thread for each tune separately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I can think of something more silly. Starting a new thread when you've already been participating in the existing one on the same subject.
    You guys just don't get it...echolyfan's review is of such great insight, wisdom, and (dare I say) great taste, that it would be an injustice to not post it in it's own thread. We would run the risk of having it get lost in the weeds, bogged down by the comments of the general riff-raff. By placing it in it's own thread, the self-evident wisdom is much more, well,..evident, and promotion of the album is ratcheted up a notch.

Some find this distasteful, but they don't see the true genius at work here. Perhaps they need to reorient their thinking.

Lastly, I probably don't need to remind anyone, but..."Hi-ho and the derry-o, the cheese stands alone!"

Suspended
    It's a shame there isn't a tool the moderator can use to merge two threads. I have used this facility a couple of times on another board that I help to moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You guys just don't get it...echolyfan's review is of such great insight, wisdom, and (dare I say) great taste, that it would be an injustice to not post it in it's own thread. We would run the risk of having it get lost in the weeds, bogged down by the comments of the general riff-raff. By placing it in it's own thread, the self-evident wisdom is much more, well,..evident, and promotion of the album is ratcheted up a notch.

Some find this distasteful, but they don't see the true genius at work here. Perhaps they need to reorient their thinking.

Lastly, I probably don't need to remind anyone, but..."Hi-ho and the derry-o, the cheese stands alone!"
    I like you...you just make sense
    echolynfan

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    It's a shame there isn't a tool the moderator can use to merge two threads. I have used this facility a couple of times on another board that I help to moderate.
    I'm so sorry that my additional thread put you out so....
    echolynfan

I downloaded it but can't find where it went on my pc.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by echolynfan View Post
    I'm so sorry that my additional thread put you out so....
    I don't really care - but wouldn't it be to your own advantage to have all the discussion about this particular album in the one thread, rather than having to skip back and forth?

Yes, that tool exists and I've used it several times.

I honestly don't have any problem with Chris' exuberance, but usually these things are more about the poster than the music.

So consider it merged - one thread for the everyman.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The cheese has been kidnapped!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    To lighten the tone here, did anyone find the first-ever Chris Buzby lead vocal line yet?
    Chad

I wouldn't have looked for it without that post. The credits are slightly helpful for anyone trying to narrow it down .

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I downloaded it but can't find where it went on my pc.
    Go to your browser, it you are using a PC, click the Tools menu then Download should be there and if you click that you'll get a window displaying your downloads, and a way to link to them...which will ultimately also tell you where they are.

Consider this technical advice a gift

I love the fact that the echolyn gang has given us a download key to the high res version. Already played on my Tetras and wow...sounds great, the music is certainly amongst their best I'd also say.

Congrats, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Go to your browser, it you are using a PC, click the Tools menu then Download should be there and if you click that you'll get a window displaying your downloads, and a way to link to them...which will ultimately also tell you where they are.

Consider this technical advice a gift

I love the fact that the echolyn gang has given us a download key to the high res version. Already played on my Tetras and wow...sounds great, the music is certainly amongst their best I'd also say.

Congrats, guys!
    The 24 bit Flac file is like 1.3 gig and is excellent - just crank it up loud
    echolynfan

Based on the lyrical trajectory I'm going to assume the next album is just them chanting "DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!"

In addition to the explicit lyrical callbacks to the last two albums, I like how Brett uses a very Mei-like vocal melody a couple of times in Empyrean Isles. I'm not reading too much into that, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Based on the lyrical trajectory I'm going to assume the next album is just them chanting "DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!"
    They pretty much took care of that with "Some Memorial."

I actually found the new album a couple shades (pun intended) less bitter than the last few. Of course, they've got a long way to travel if they want to get back to "Carpe Diem."

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    To me echolyn are very much a songwriters' band and this is another great batch of songs from them.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    To me echolyn are very much a songwriters' band and this is another great batch of songs from them.
    Can you explain just what you mean by "songwriters' band"? A band containing several good songwriters, or do you mean something else?

For example when someone is described as a "singers' singer", it is often a mild criticism, implying that someone familiar with singing and singing techniques might admire the technical proficiency, while the average listener might not find it all that great to listen to.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Can you explain just what you mean by "songwriters' band"? A band containing several good songwriters, or do you mean something else?

For example when someone is described as a "singers' singer", it is often a mild criticism, implying that someone familiar with singing and singing techniques might admire the technical proficiency, while the average listener might not find it all that great to listen to.
    It seems to me that they focus first and foremost on writing the very best songs they can and then let the songs dictate where and what they play rather than going in with the notion of writing an epic, doing flashy instrumentals for their own sake, doing a seventies pastiche or whatever. It's kind of ironic that I got my download code for their new album on the same day that Wilco let their new album out because there is this vibe on echolyn's post "comeback" albums that makes me think of them as sort of the Wilco of prog.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

It seems to me that they focus first and foremost on writing the very best songs they can and then let the songs dictate where and what they play rather than going in with the notion of writing an epic, doing flashy instrumentals for their own sake, doing a seventies pastiche or whatever. It's kind of ironic that I got my download code for their new album on the same day that Wilco let their new album out because there is this vibe on echolyn's post "comeback" albums that makes me think of them as sort of the Wilco of prog.
    Save the last sentence (as i don't really know Wilco that well), this!
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 07-19-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Listening to a bit of the podcast...i missed the presale...based on the opening track thus far i'm prematurely (operative word) having some slight qualms with the overly self-important lyrics and representation of such but we'll see for later...second (i'll stop after this i promise) this is harkening back to Cowboy Poems for me...
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 07-19-2015 at 12:32 PM.

I think they would find that a very flattering comparison that would make them proud.

Echolyn 2015 are definitely songwriter's songwriters, to use a phrase. They have-for many albums now (since the redux)-been really focused more on making a song interesting more than the playing in a song interesting-which is sometimes the preoccupation with prog bands of course perhaps by design or to check off a box.

Echolyn (2012) was so ridiculously good that it will take a lot more listening and a slight miracle to be surpassed by this new one but it might happen based on my few listens thus far.

Been checking it out on FLAC at 24/96 out of an iPhone via a DAC/amp to some good headphones so I'm really getting the "full picture" if you will. It's really a band you want to do this with as Brett's skills at that studio and attention to detail follow into each bit and frequency.

They're definitely the most "soulful" prog band around now, the finest American prog band today and in the Top 5 of all time US prog bands hands down.