Thread: Louis Andriessen

chalkpie

Louis Andriessen

Dutch composer (Born 1939, Utrecht, Netherlands). I've been getting into his music lately and thought some of you might enjoy his art. He takes the minimalists approach to composition (vaguely) and injects some serious testosterone in it, maybe even add a 1/2 TBS of PCP or bath salts. When I first heard "De Staat" I had a big grin on nearly the entire time because there are bits in it that we as prog lovers have grown to love and appreciate - you'll know what I mean when you hear it - I won't spoil all of the fun. But I will say that if you lean towards the dark spectrum of prog such as Magma, Crimson, Present, UZ, Blast, Shub Niggurath, etc, you might get a kick out of this piece. "De Staat" was written in 1972 - 1976, btw.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/tom...al-music-guide

Last edited by chalkpie; 07-10-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Great composer! I love 'de staat'. I think it dates much earlier then 1992. 1976 I think. I rather like 'Hoketus' too; a great minimal piece.
    Check this version out by Bang on a can.

Furthermore I recommend his operas 'De Materie' and 'Rosa". Especially the first is considered to be his magum opus by many.

He is fairly well known in the Netherlands as a modern composer but he also suffers a lot from the current 'classical music desease', which is a blind admiration for the past and an almost complete neglect for today. His latest orchestral piece 'Mysteriën' has only been played once by 'het konkinklijk concert gebouw orkest' for which it was especially written. It got some great reviews but was never performed again.
    Here's a recording of that piece.

I own "Die Staat", which I like very much and I once saw a piece of his performed that I dis-liked very much.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I have De Staat and Hoketus.Good stuff.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I bought "De Staat" after reading about it on the Recomended Records catalog in the early 80's
    I recall ordering partly cause it was described with some resemblance to Soft Machine Third
    well I am still sractching my head regarding that reference but hey the music is great !

chalkpie
    ^ C'mon - you don't think this sounds exactly like "Moon in June"? What's wrong with you?

Frankie what is the best version of this ?

this is the one I have on vinyl
    http://www.discogs.com/Louis-Andries...elease/1480554
    is the nonsuch edition a diffrent performance ?

chalkpie
    That's a good question - but I will say that the performance by the Schoenberg Ensemble that I posted is a little loose in a couple of sections - the part at around 8:28 for example - could be tighter. Spot has a few versions so I am going to check them out and report back.

And yes, your version is definitely different - looks like you have the Netherlands Wind Ensemble.

chalkpie
    Thanks for that info Thedunno. I've only heard "Hoketus" once but I did enjoy it - need more time with that. Those operas huh? Cool. Its good to get some perspective on this cat from a local. That's a bit of a shame that he is swept under the carpet, but that's just the way it is with a bunch of composers. Even Ives and Mahler never saw their full appreciation - that happened years later.

Andriessen - I've kinda 'investigated' this stuff about 8-10 years ago. Honestly most of his compositions and his 'aggressive minimalism' approach gave me a true headache.. but he is fine composer (in my opinion) and I agree some of the folks here might enjoy this stuff. I like his 'M is for man, music, Mozart', especially the first part. It is more delicate, and work for me.

De Staat is amazing. Still looking for something in his œuvre that is on par with it. It think it's head and shoulders above his other works. But that just me; my knowledge of modern composition is spotty.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Another thing about Andriessen is the story that James Grigsby once met him, actually made a pilgrimage to him while UTotem have been in Europe. They had a conversation and as a result, Grigsby began write the great 'City of mirrors', which evolve Jazz with contemporary classical. By that mean, Andriessen importance is huge... at least, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Totemist; 07-11-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    De Staat is amazing. Still looking for something in his œuvre that is on par with it.
    De Tijd
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Thus says Recommended Catalog September 83
    "Chamber Music meets The Soft Machine circa 69'- truly excellent record beautifully recorded & pressed"

Excellent CD - Gigantic Dancing Human Machine - Bang on a Can plays Louis Andriessen - on Cantaloupe