Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving Gelatine Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Barniac View Post
    It is indeed quite excellent, especially considering the gap in recorded material. Not many bands can put out something as good after so many years apart. It's way ahead of any of the recent reformed VDGG output for example IMO, most of which leaves me cold. Happy Family's recent release, Minimal Gods on the other hand, is a great album.
    I'm sure i'm in the minority on this but VDGG's "Present" double disc is fantastic and this was their comeback album. I have had trouble getting into Grounding In Numbers and Tri...(I forget the name) but those improvs on that second disc of Present really speaks to me as well as the main disc.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ha - maybe! Head...blowing....blowing....head. Next......

Nice man. Its been way too long for me, but I'm due for that myself. I just hope you hit some Evans, Monk, Mingus, Brownie, Morgan, Trane, and Miles of course. Gun to my head: 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard' is my favorite jazz album. I know that sucker without actually playing it, even alternative versions. Its forever imbedded in my feeble olde meatball. LaFaro was a diety, well so was Bill (and Paul).
    Continuing the slight derailment. Finally got the early Monk sides on Blue Note. I really love that stuff! And that head spinning head on Four In One. Also picked up Lee Morgan's album The Procrastinator, and LeeWay w/ Jackie McLean.

I put Hans on again this morning. A beautiful opening on that first tune. They do speed up with their tricky sections after that. Ian (Zomby) asked about the first album. Well it starts off with some beautiful flute, so he'll probably be hooked right away.

Yeah, thanks for the thread. It has prompted me to pull out both and listen again. Some things get lost in the shuffle of owning 3000 plus albums and Cd's....not that i'm complaining.

for some reason
    I never fallen under their spell
    I did try
    time for a revisit ?

chalkpie
    Like I mentioned before, for me its the "vibe" that is equal to the actual music. The combo of winds/horns/analog-ness/great sounding drums, all sprinkled with some "Canterbury fairy dust" which also has a few chunks of escargot in it. I'd say revisit - WTF right?

their "Canterbury fairy dust" doesn't have the charm of Pichio Dal Pozzo Supersister or early Muffins

chalkpie
    I think that is subjective depending on who you ask, but I probably wouldn't argue with you. It may be a lighter sprinkling but its there, but then again originality is the ultimate quality, no? I personally don't put this album on expecting to hear another Soft Machine or Egg, but for what they bring to the table. I actually don't even spin this stuff when I do my annual Canterbury binge - I'm sick like that.

I'm usually not big on this kind of thing but I really love the first two MGP records. Very cool vibe.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    their "Canterbury fairy dust" doesn't have the charm of Pichio Dal Pozzo Supersister or early Muffins
    This is true. Like I stated earlier, MGP were way nastier than their compatriots, meaning, in essence, "dirtier" and somewhat sloppier. Thus, you have to interact with the given mindset to fully enjoy them, I think - accept the rawness and direct energy of it. Interestingly, I DO hear some similarities with early Muffins (as on Chonometers) or even with someone like Dedalus. I've heard some folks complain that MGP's playfulness sometimes appears a bit too, er, contrived - but I see this as a minor obstacle to be dealt with in order for the richness of those arrangements to fully shine. And they were mostly very good musicians who never posed as "virtuosos", unlike some other and more well known "progs" I can think of but whose names I shall not mention now or ever again. Never again! Omar Sharif will never return to Earth!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    their "Canterbury fairy dust" doesn't have the charm of Pichio Dal Pozzo, Supersister or early Muffins
    Well, I have a problem with both MGP (their 1st album) and Supersister (first 2 albums), whose deep admiration for Soft Machine borders too often on mimicry. I would need to check the MGP's 2nd you are praising here to see if there is any new value added to the mix.

love their first two,albums. No fave, really.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Moving Gelatine Plates - ReMoving

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Moving Gelatine Plates - ReMoving

This one was a nice surprise. Very good. Lots of the old flavor all over it.

Played this last night. All killer, no filler. Just great, engaging jazz rock. Not a dull moment!

For odd reasons I had never heard MGP before, this was my first - and perhaps its a bit premature to say, but I like this more (as a whole) than the 3 earlier albums which I simply had to hear subsequently.

No idea why this excellent band has slipped under my radar. Hopefully I will experience that again