Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Bent Knee - best band from the US in a long while?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I have....Rosfest. I wasn't impressed. Maybe the turnoff was the synchronized dancing (not sure if intentional) it reminded me of the 70's show Banana Splits. It just came off as "The Berkley School Of Prepackaged Music Course".
    I don’t understand what that means.

I have seen TYS too and was nonplussed.
    You’re saying they confused you?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Album release party in Boston on Oct 14th at Great Scott in Allston.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have....Rosfest. I wasn't impressed. Maybe the turnoff was the synchronized dancing (not sure if intentional) it reminded me of the 70's show Banana Splits. It just came off as "The Berkley School Of Prepackaged Music Course". 0.
    I was not at that particular ROSfest show, but I can imagine how that might not have worked that well with a seated audience like ROSfest has. Bent Knee typically play clubs to a much younger audience where their stage antics work a bit better. Personally I like the fact that they bring some energy to their live shows, but I can also understand how that may not have worked in a ROSfest type environment.

Anybody heard Ben Levin's solo material? It's amazing, absolutely nuts, and far, far proggier than almost anything he does with Bent Knee. Listening to it, I realized that BK is his "pop" project - or the nearest thing to it - and that without Courtney, Vince, Jess, and Chris's more straightahead directions and instincts for tastefulness in the stylistic mix, he'd be doing something way, way stranger. And, probably, not getting out of Boston much or at all.

For an example, this video below. Note that it contains most of the members of Bent Knee, but they aren't trying to play anything remotely like pop music or be tasteful - in fact, here you'll see just how much they can shred if the occasion calls for it. The music itself seems to be somewhere around the intersection of Zappa, Mr. Bungle, and early John Zorn.

Freak Machine is a good album
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like the face paint, but the keyboard player needs a cape.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was not at that particular ROSfest show, but I can imagine how that might not have worked that well with a seated audience like ROSfest has. Bent Knee typically play clubs to a much younger audience where their stage antics work a bit better. Personally I like the fact that they bring some energy to their live shows, but I can also understand how that may not have worked in a ROSfest type environment.
    It did not help that their set got cut to make more time for Strawbs.
    They tore through their set without much of a pause.
    It was unlike any of the other shows of theirs I have seen. And it was awesome.
    Some folks are just not very open to new music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It did not help that their set got cut to make more time for Strawbs.
    They tore through their set without much of a pause.
    It was unlike any of the other shows of theirs I have seen. And it was awesome.
    Some folks are just not very open to new music.
    I was there and agree completely about BK, Mark. The Strawbs were the only reason I convinced Lopez Lou to attend his only Rosfest.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I was there and agree completely about BK, Mark. The Strawbs were the only reason I convinced Lopez Lou to attend his only Rosfest.
    And I was glad I went, too. The Strawbs were the hook (thank you, Mr. Kessler), but I did enjoy Bent Knee, having seen them at ProgDay the year before.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    And I was glad I went, too. The Strawbs were the hook (thank you, Mr. Kessler), but I did enjoy Bent Knee, having seen them at ProgDay the year before.
    You must have had a time machine, they played Progday later in the summer that year.
    I was pleasantly surprised that the Strawbs sounded as good as they did.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    You must have had a time machine, they played Progday later in the summer that year.
    I was pleasantly surprised that the Strawbs sounded as good as they did.
    I knew I had seem them twice within a short span of time. Guess I got the performance sequence bass-akward.

Indeed the Strawbs sounded good. I've seen them many times since 1974 and they were just about the best I'd ever seen/heard them at that ROSFest.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

My review of the new Bent Knee album is now up...

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/bent...ide-out-music/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

This album will easily be in my top 10 of 2019... probably top 5. Can't stop listening!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'll get it Friday ...with Tull Stormwatch? Not sure it'll be out on the 11th or 18th

Holy woozaa Knew it would be good but not this good..

Got the release party next week, will pick up a copy there.
    Ian

Would love to attend that but 9 PM on a Monday evening is a tough ask... But I'm mulling it...

I'm at track 10. This is a very noisy album!
    I like the songs, but to me it sounds very brick walled. Sure there are dynamics, but the heavier parts are quite in your face.
    I'd be interested in what the wave looks like. Might have to throw it in when I get home.

What They Mean is certainlt different from what they've done before. Sounding darker and heavier which is always a bonus for me. I'm loving this one!

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I like the songs, but to me it sounds very brick walled. Sure there are dynamics, but the heavier parts are quite in your face.
    I agree, mix is harsh. However, I like the music a lot. But I not a fan of the vocalist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I'd be interested in what the wave looks like. Might have to throw it in when I get home.
    Doesn't brickwalled usually mean that there are no dynamics, because everything is loud?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Doesn't brickwalled usually mean that there are no dynamics, because everything is loud?
    Yeah. There are dynamics in the quiet parts, but not at all when they get louder and heavier.
    Courtney is also kind of shrill on a lot of the vocals.
    Sometimes her voice can make me turn them off. I like her voice on Black Tar Water and Leak Water, because she doesn't oversing with the shrill tone that makes me cringe at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    I agree, mix is harsh. However, I like the music a lot. But I not a fan of the vocalist.
    If I get tired of listening to them, it's always because of the vocals.
    And damn is that mix harsh!

They tore it up tonight at the album release party in Boston, played an hour of new material in a packed all standing venue that was bouncing. Got to sat hi to Courtney, Gavin & Ben before the gig. Good night out.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They tore it up tonight at the album release party in Boston, played an hour of new material in a packed all standing venue that was bouncing. Got to sat hi to Courtney, Gavin & Ben before the gig. Good night out.
    Awesome! Glad you had a good time.

How were the new tunes? Have you heard the new album yet?