Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 409

Thread: Bent Knee - best band from the US in a long while?

  1. #376
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I have....Rosfest. I wasn't impressed. Maybe the turnoff was the synchronized dancing (not sure if intentional) it reminded me of the 70's show Banana Splits. It just came off as "The Berkley School Of Prepackaged Music Course".
    I don’t understand what that means.


    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I have seen TYS too and was nonplussed.
    You’re saying they confused you?

  2. #377
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,337
    Album release party in Boston on Oct 14th at Great Scott in Allston.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  3. #378
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I have....Rosfest. I wasn't impressed. Maybe the turnoff was the synchronized dancing (not sure if intentional) it reminded me of the 70's show Banana Splits. It just came off as "The Berkley School Of Prepackaged Music Course". 0.
    I was not at that particular ROSfest show, but I can imagine how that might not have worked that well with a seated audience like ROSfest has. Bent Knee typically play clubs to a much younger audience where their stage antics work a bit better. Personally I like the fact that they bring some energy to their live shows, but I can also understand how that may not have worked in a ROSfest type environment.

  4. #379
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,411
    Anybody heard Ben Levin's solo material? It's amazing, absolutely nuts, and far, far proggier than almost anything he does with Bent Knee. Listening to it, I realized that BK is his "pop" project - or the nearest thing to it - and that without Courtney, Vince, Jess, and Chris's more straightahead directions and instincts for tastefulness in the stylistic mix, he'd be doing something way, way stranger. And, probably, not getting out of Boston much or at all.

    For an example, this video below. Note that it contains most of the members of Bent Knee, but they aren't trying to play anything remotely like pop music or be tasteful - in fact, here you'll see just how much they can shred if the occasion calls for it. The music itself seems to be somewhere around the intersection of Zappa, Mr. Bungle, and early John Zorn.


  5. #380
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,337
    Freak Machine is a good album
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  6. #381
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,063
    I like the face paint, but the keyboard player needs a cape.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  7. #382
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was not at that particular ROSfest show, but I can imagine how that might not have worked that well with a seated audience like ROSfest has. Bent Knee typically play clubs to a much younger audience where their stage antics work a bit better. Personally I like the fact that they bring some energy to their live shows, but I can also understand how that may not have worked in a ROSfest type environment.
    It did not help that their set got cut to make more time for Strawbs.
    They tore through their set without much of a pause.
    It was unlike any of the other shows of theirs I have seen. And it was awesome.
    Some folks are just not very open to new music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  8. #383
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,167
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It did not help that their set got cut to make more time for Strawbs.
    They tore through their set without much of a pause.
    It was unlike any of the other shows of theirs I have seen. And it was awesome.
    Some folks are just not very open to new music.
    I was there and agree completely about BK, Mark. The Strawbs were the only reason I convinced Lopez Lou to attend his only Rosfest.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  9. #384
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I was there and agree completely about BK, Mark. The Strawbs were the only reason I convinced Lopez Lou to attend his only Rosfest.
    And I was glad I went, too. The Strawbs were the hook (thank you, Mr. Kessler), but I did enjoy Bent Knee, having seen them at ProgDay the year before.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  10. #385
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    And I was glad I went, too. The Strawbs were the hook (thank you, Mr. Kessler), but I did enjoy Bent Knee, having seen them at ProgDay the year before.
    You must have had a time machine, they played Progday later in the summer that year.
    I was pleasantly surprised that the Strawbs sounded as good as they did.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  11. #386
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    You must have had a time machine, they played Progday later in the summer that year.
    I was pleasantly surprised that the Strawbs sounded as good as they did.
    I knew I had seem them twice within a short span of time. Guess I got the performance sequence bass-akward.

    Indeed the Strawbs sounded good. I've seen them many times since 1974 and they were just about the best I'd ever seen/heard them at that ROSFest.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  12. #387
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,739
    My review of the new Bent Knee album is now up...

    https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/bent...ide-out-music/
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  13. #388
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,739
    This album will easily be in my top 10 of 2019... probably top 5. Can't stop listening!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  14. #389
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    212
    I'll get it Friday ...with Tull Stormwatch? Not sure it'll be out on the 11th or 18th

  15. #390
    Holy woozaa Knew it would be good but not this good..

  16. #391
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,337
    Got the release party next week, will pick up a copy there.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  17. #392
    Would love to attend that but 9 PM on a Monday evening is a tough ask... But I'm mulling it...

  18. #393
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    212
    I'm at track 10. This is a very noisy album!
    I like the songs, but to me it sounds very brick walled. Sure there are dynamics, but the heavier parts are quite in your face.
    I'd be interested in what the wave looks like. Might have to throw it in when I get home.

  19. #394
    Member sergio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Green-Clean
    Posts
    176
    What They Mean is certainlt different from what they've done before. Sounding darker and heavier which is always a bonus for me. I'm loving this one!

  20. #395
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I'm at track 10. This is a very noisy album!
    I like the songs, but to me it sounds very brick walled. Sure there are dynamics, but the heavier parts are quite in your face.
    I agree, mix is harsh. However, I like the music a lot. But I not a fan of the vocalist.

  21. #396
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I'm at track 10. This is a very noisy album!
    I like the songs, but to me it sounds very brick walled. Sure there are dynamics, but the heavier parts are quite in your face.
    I'd be interested in what the wave looks like. Might have to throw it in when I get home.
    Doesn't brickwalled usually mean that there are no dynamics, because everything is loud?

  22. #397
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Doesn't brickwalled usually mean that there are no dynamics, because everything is loud?
    Yeah. There are dynamics in the quiet parts, but not at all when they get louder and heavier.
    Courtney is also kind of shrill on a lot of the vocals.
    Sometimes her voice can make me turn them off. I like her voice on Black Tar Water and Leak Water, because she doesn't oversing with the shrill tone that makes me cringe at times.

  23. #398
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    I agree, mix is harsh. However, I like the music a lot. But I not a fan of the vocalist.
    If I get tired of listening to them, it's always because of the vocals.
    And damn is that mix harsh!

  24. #399
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,337
    They tore it up tonight at the album release party in Boston, played an hour of new material in a packed all standing venue that was bouncing. Got to sat hi to Courtney, Gavin & Ben before the gig. Good night out.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  25. #400
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They tore it up tonight at the album release party in Boston, played an hour of new material in a packed all standing venue that was bouncing. Got to sat hi to Courtney, Gavin & Ben before the gig. Good night out.
    Awesome! Glad you had a good time.

    How were the new tunes? Have you heard the new album yet?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •