Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Bent Knee - best band from the US in a long while?

I really like what I'm hearing on their Bandcamp page. Thinking about seeing them in Dayton on the 30th but they're playing with a couple emo bands that I don't know.
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I really like what I'm hearing on their Bandcamp page. Thinking about seeing them in Dayton on the 30th but they're playing with a couple emo bands that I don't know.
    Call the venue and ask when they're playing. I'm betting they'll be first, because they will then have to pack up and drive nearly 800 miles, overnight, to arrive in Amherst, MA by the next evening. They'll want and need as much time for that as possible. So there's a good chance they'll play as early as they can, and you might even make a fairly early night of it if you forgo the two emo bands.

Wow .. what's this .. a band that is young and talented and experimental and melodic and original? With an actual good singer? Neat!

Adding to the buylist, kthx.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    tour dates:

OCT 24 SAT
    Yellow Sign Theatre
    Baltimore, MD

[I'm going to try and see them on the 24th]
    Yeah. I saw them....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Bent Knee "Battle Creek" | Spare Room Sessions:
    Really good, and a great track to look forward to on their next one. Also more explicitly "proggy" than most of their earlier material, with that left-turn middle-section - although whether a general change in direction that way would be a good thing for them or not is an open question. But whatever it does for them in the long run, it'll certainly help sell records at ROSFest.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Really good, and a great track to look forward to on their next one.
    That track is on their second album so won't be on their third album.

And now we know why Steve F. went to see them as the band have announced today that the new album will be released through Cuneiform.

I really like this band. Ordered both their albums from Wayside.

Why is this in black and white???
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    To get to the other side.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    To highlight the subtlety.

I bought both their CDs a few weeks ago. I can't say the first one did much at all for me. I'll give it a few more chances, but little if anything caught my ear on this album.

Shiny Eyed Babies is definitely better to me. There are two tracks here that I think are really good, Way Too Long and Being Human. The rest is sort of so-so to OK to me. Some good ideas, but I can't help feeling there's something "missing." I wish they'd stretch out a bit more musically. They are obviously super talented, but it all seems a bit buttoned up. I'd like a little more presence from the violin as well, which seems to come alive more on their live tracks than on the album.

I'm going to keep trying, I think this is a band with potential, but so far I haven't been blown away by much they've done.

Bill

I had a somewhat similar experience as Bill, except that I have been totally blown away by 2 or 3 tracks from Shiny Eyed Babies- "Being Human," "Battle Creek," and to a slightly lesser extent "Way Too Long." There are some shockingly great musical orgasms in those tracks. Most of the other tracks paled in comparison for me after several listens, though maybe I'd appreciate them more if those climaxes weren't so enormous. The singer is obviously a huge talent, and everybody else does well, particularly the violin player, who does an admirable job accompanying the singing- it's tricky to do all the interesting things he does without it being the obvious lead instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I bought both their CDs a few weeks ago. I can't say the first one did much at all for me. I'll give it a few more chances, but little if anything caught my ear on this album.

Shiny Eyed Babies is definitely better to me. There are two tracks here that I think are really good, Way Too Long and Being Human. The rest is sort of so-so to OK to me. Some good ideas, but I can't help feeling there's something "missing." I wish they'd stretch out a bit more musically. They are obviously super talented, but it all seems a bit buttoned up. I'd like a little more presence from the violin as well, which seems to come alive more on their live tracks than on the album.

I'm going to keep trying, I think this is a band with potential, but so far I haven't been blown away by much they've done.

Bill
    You more or less summed it up for me too. I'll take more stabs at it down the road. The whole vibe of the music just isnt in my wheelhouse right now. I know from experience that will change sooner or later though. Talented people for sure!

Very talented, but the vocal style puts me off. It reminds me of the stuff they play in the montage scenes of all the recent nighttime soap operas that my wife likes, that I hear if I don't have my headphones on.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    the violin player, who does an admirable job accompanying the singing- it's tricky to do all the interesting things he does without it being the obvious lead instrument.
    Interesting. Next time I spin Shiny Eyed Babies, I'll give a special listen for this.

Bill

All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    I love the debut, I just don't love it as much as Shiny Eyed Babies. Brilliant band. Best thing in rock in a very, very long time.
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    particularly the violin player, who does an admirable job accompanying the singing- it's tricky to do all the interesting things he does without it being the obvious lead instrument.
    I spent a lot of the recent gig watching Chris the violinist. Most of the showy stuff is Ben the guitarist & Courtney the vocalists/keyboardist. I liked a lot of what the violinist was doing, understated but interesting.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They are obviously super talented, but it all seems a bit buttoned up.
    To some extent, that may be a generational thing. You hear that sort of almost exaggerated good taste in most successful young bands of the last however-many years, where it's all about playing for the song, where one's personal goal is to be a complete master of the expected and appropriate, and where if a listener notices anything except the lead vocal and the beat, someone isn't doing his job. It's what struck me about the Decemberists - there are some really good players in that band, but you don't notice them - they all meld together to give the effect of one gigantic 12-string guitar.

I really dig this in large part - excellent musicians playing interesting music in a room together (gasp) I'm having a little trouble getting past the vocal inflections, especially in her upper register, which lean toward the shrill IMO. Also, is anybody else bugged by how out-of-tune the guitar player's instrument is?

Minor quibbles aside, I'll keep listening, and would definitely like to check them live if they're ever nearby.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I really dig this in large part - excellent musicians playing interesting music in a room together (gasp) I'm having a little trouble getting past the vocal inflections, especially in her upper register, which lean toward the shrill IMO. Also, is anybody else bugged by how out-of-tune the guitar player's instrument is?

Minor quibbles aside, I'll keep listening, and would definitely like to check them live if they're ever nearby.
    this chick is primal scream incarnated, IMHO

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    To some extent, that may be a generational thing. You hear that sort of almost exaggerated good taste in most successful young bands of the last however-many years, where it's all about playing for the song, where one's personal goal is to be a complete master of the expected and appropriate, and where if a listener notices anything except the lead vocal and the beat, someone isn't doing his job. It's what struck me about the Decemberists - there are some really good players in that band, but you don't notice them - they all meld together to give the effect of one gigantic 12-string guitar.
    Yeah, I think there's some truth to this. I'm not sure if it's strictly generational, there have always been plenty of plenty of bands that were "song first," so to speak. But what you describe is definitely what I'm hearing from Bent Knee; a sort of "shunning" of anything too fancy instrumentally, as if that would break some kind of rule they've imposed for themselves. It makes the music feel somewhat constricted to me, as I think some more intense music display would really compliment the edgy feel this band is going for.

Obviously they're meeting with success, so what they are doing is resonating with an audience. But given the elements I enjoy, it doesn't resonate with me as much as it might. I'm still trying to keep an open mind about them, though, and will continue spinning the discs to see if it grows on me. I'd really like to like them, and I do like their basic sound and approach. I just wish there were a bit "more" to the musical end of things.

Bill

Given their evolution from their debut to sophomore album I'm very interested in where they go with their upcoming Cuneiform release.
    Ian

I'd really like to like them, and I do like their basic sound and approach. I just wish there were a bit "more" to the musical end of things.
    Bill, this is said in all respect:

You're not their target market.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com