Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Bent Knee - best band from the US in a long while?

Holy. Shit. They are frikkin great...that vocalist is flat out aSTOUNding! And I think chick bass players are hot...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Well, they do what they do well. I'm just not sure it's for me.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    woman should not play bass guitar
    Woman should most definitely play bass guitar (and other stuff), as many wonderwoman already do. Ellen Andrea Wang, Tina Weymouth, Jo-Anne Bench, Marie Trudeau, Amy Taylor, Christiane Cohade, Amy Denio, Valerie Opielski, Cheshire Agusta and many, many others.

And Steve F., I'm coming with moneys to catch 'em honeys. Well, at least one of them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

BTW, Wayside Music will be stocking their releases by the end of the week.
    I'll be taking one of each, Steve.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Woman should most definitely play bass guitar (and other stuff), as many wonderwoman already do. Ellen Andrea Wang, Tina Weymouth, Jo-Anne Bench, Marie Trudeau, Amy Taylor, Christiane Cohade, Amy Denio, Valerie Opielski, Cheshire Agusta and many, many others.
    Heck yes. Back in October 2006, I saw the Flower Kings at Studio Seven in Seattle, and the back up band was a metal band, I think called 'Lyranthe'. The female bass player was one of the best I've ever seen. Just outstanding.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Julie. Slick.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Tal Wilkenfeld, Rhonda Miller (Jeff Beck) Gail Ann Dorsey (Bowie)

And Steve F., I'm coming with moneys to catch 'em honeys. Well, at least one of them.
    Renee Jones... I know I know. But even she gets a hand from Victor Wooten.

Boy they really are great aren't they? And a blast to watch.

Outstanding track! I truly enjoyed every note.
    Now it's firmly planted into my memory banks!
    must buy soon.
    i feel genuflected.

I've listened to many tracks of theirs now, and even sent a link to Sharra, our vocalist who now loves them. (I include this because she has very discerning taste, even dare I say, picky) so that says a lot. This is one band that truly impressed her. One song called 'In God We Trust' was especially good. Love the bass player's stage presence.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I've listened to many tracks of theirs now, and even sent a link to Sharra, our vocalist who now loves them. (I include this because she has very discerning taste, even dare I say, picky) so that says a lot. This is one band that truly impressed her. One song called 'In God We Trust' was especially good. Love the bass player's stage presence.
    That song's probably my favorite thing on the album. Really great. Sunshine is also surprisingly awesome for a half-cover of a really tired folk song.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    Sunshine is also surprisingly awesome for a half-cover of a really tired folk song.
    The meaning of it is entirely different as the vocal delivery turns it into something psychotically creepy.

And now you can also buy them from the most fiercely independent web-shop who posts in this thread:

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...K-spc-002.aspx

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...K-spc-001.aspx
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    What an incredibly lame band name though.
    That's what I thought, too. But then I realized where they got it from: The names of the two founders - BEN Levin + CourT(K)NEy(E) Swain. A bit like MoeTar = MOorEa Dickison + TARik Ragab. And that's not the only parallel with MoeTar - both bands also have amazing (and quite different) female vocalists, consist of first-rate musicians, play their own unique brand of progressive music in pop-song form, use a jazz-based harmonic language, and have similar but not identical lineups.

Bands like Bent Knee are becoming extinct altogether. Proof that a basic experimentalist approach, individuality, cerebrality and originality does in fact not necessarily compromise attention to melody or overall structure, and that "progressive" can still be expected to denote *just that*.

Great music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Outstanding. Original. Ordered.

Great, now I need this too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Great, now I need this too.
    I told you that already
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Kinda reminds me of Natalie Merchant during the quieter passages.

Bands like Bent Knee are becoming extinct altogether.
    Not quite.

But I suspect that a lot of "progressive" music from younger artists works off different bases - different enough that you or I might not recognize it as progressive. For example, younger, forward-looking guys might see the "band" format as passe: old-fashioned, no longer necessary, logistically awkward, inefficient, and something to bother with only for intentionally retro music. Instead, they see no problem in working with loops and samples off a laptop. But working that way pushes you toward different musical choices - you tend to use a lot of repeating vamps, ring changes on the vocal melody and backing textures over them, and build whole songs off one loop. And you tend to go for changing harmonic color without definite harmonic motion, and not change keys. And so forth and so on.

So what you might end up with is something that differs only subtly from current commercial pop music, because the tools you use to make it push you toward the same choices the pop guys make. Yet it's progressive in its own way, and a fan of current pop would recognize it as such. But to us, it'd be like an older jazz fan listening to Yes in 1971, and saying, "It's the same loud squared-off beat, the same noisy instruments, the guy can't sing, nobody solos, and it doesn't swing. What's progressive about it?"
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-18-2015 at 12:31 AM.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Not quite.
    I think its excellent for sure, but not totally Earth-shattering in its scope or compositions to my ears. I've heard about 2/3 of the new album so maybe I'll reserve my opinion when I've heard the whole thing. But Scrote - I'd say we're gonna see bands of this aesthetic "niche" until the end of time, no? Definitely not a clone (hopefully), but there will be a new "Bent Knee" just around the corner, or there probably already is - we just don't know that they exist yet. YMMV (you know where I got that from).....

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think its excellent for sure, but not totally Earth-shattering in its scope or compositions to my ears.
    You're right. But it's very well crafted and performed, even if the ingredients are familiar. And they definitely seem to be looking ahead, rather than backwards - they weren't trying to do X kind of music, or Y kind of music, so much as to do their kind of music; and not worry about what it came out as, other than that it come out good, come out the kind of music they wanted to listen to. Incidentally, they also had no idea they were a prog band until fans started telling them that's what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Not quite.

But I suspect that a lot of "progressive" music from younger artists works off different bases - different enough that you or I might not recognize it as progressive. For example, younger, forward-looking guys might see the "band" format as passe: old-fashioned, no longer necessary, logistically awkward, inefficient, and something to bother with only for intentionally retro music. Instead, they see no problem in working with loops and samples off a laptop. But working that way pushes you toward different musical choices - you tend to use a lot of repeating vamps, ring changes on the vocal melody and backing textures over them, and build whole songs off one loop. And you tend to go for changing harmonic color without definite harmonic motion, and not change keys. And so forth and so on.
    It could be because it's 5 am and I just woke up, but this actually sounds incredibly interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post

Best band from US for a while? Hmm....maybe since Jack O'clock.
    Haha, this I may agree with! But ... throw a superlative in and you see a bunch of folks commenting who normally wouldn't. So, I'll allow it! Seriously, though, loved that video. Now I have to come up with the cash.

By the way, band name is great. Instantly memorable.