Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Bent Knee - best band from the US in a long while?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Haven't heard it yet, will pick it up tomorrow,at the show. they were rocking
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    If I get tired of listening to them, it's always because of the vocals.
    And damn is that mix harsh!
    Interesting. I hear no harshness, on my system. The dynamics are between the heavy and quiet parts, by definition. When it's heavy and loud, I want it heavy and loud. And I think that Courtney is an amazing singer, and there is nothing shrill at all, on this new album. To each their own, as they say. Maybe this band is just not for you.

As far as I'm concerned, this may be the best thing that they have ever done. Certainly my fave since Shiny Eyed Babies. Can't wait to get a few more spins in.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Haven't heard it yet, will pick it up tomorrow,at the show. they were rocking
    Nice! Let us know how it goes.

Maybe the best show of the four I've seen from them and the longest! The setlist was (I believe):

The Whole New Album

Land Animal
    Battle Creek
    Leak Water
    Holy Ghost
    Way Too Long

Picked up the CD and excited to get into it in more depth!

Good crowd? Wished I could have made it...

Place was packed, capacity is around 240 so it was probably between 150 and 200. I ducked out after Land Animal around an hour into the gig, I'd been on my feet for an hour bouncing around and was starting to drift, it was just past 11 so went home tired and happy. Got to have a brief chat with Ben, Courtney & Gavin before the gig.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah. There are dynamics in the quiet parts, but not at all when they get louder and heavier.
    Courtney is also kind of shrill on a lot of the vocals.
    Sometimes her voice can make me turn them off. I like her voice on Black Tar Water and Leak Water, because she doesn't oversing with the shrill tone that makes me cringe at times.
    I have the same reaction to her vocals sometimes. I am not a fan of the shrill thing she does, although at the same time I think she has one of the most amazing voices of any young prog singer out there these days. I like her vocals better when she sings more straightforwardly.

Not a fan of their last two studio productions, but I have just learnt they have two download-only live albums/videos: Live at Davis Square Theatre (2014) and Live at the Space (2015).

https://gumroad.com/bentknee

I was only aware of the earlier Live & Nearly Unplugged (2013) on Bandcamp, but these two above are not even listed on Discogs! I'll need to check both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Not a fan of their last two studio productions, but I have just learnt they have two download-only live albums/videos: Live at Davis Square Theatre (2014) and Live at the Space (2015).

https://gumroad.com/bentknee

I was only aware of the earlier Live & Nearly Unplugged (2013) on Bandcamp, but these two above are not even listed on Discogs! I'll need to check both.
    I was sitting on the floor 3 feet in front of Courtney for Live at the Space. Man the memories!
    Ian

A new video, Catch Light
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

bump.

Courtney Swain - FountainHead new solo album.

Ambient record with a Film of sorts on YouTube
    https://courtneyswain.bandcamp.com/album/fountainhead

Bent Knee are supporting the "The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die" tour in November. Has to be the worst band name ever.

Ian

yeah, unsure I want to go

They do have 1 of the most annoying, long band names ever, and their music is a little too "emo" or youthful and punk-ish for me, even though they have some elements to their music I like.

They also have some sort of highly political feminist agenda that deters from their music.

I only can see Bent Knee's music being exposed to a new audience I guess, and maybe some of that Emo/Warped Tour/Scenester crowd's taste grow with being exposed to Bent Knee.

I just don't know if I'm going to go only a few days before seeing back-2-back Monkees shows in Milwaukee and Minneapolis.

I’m going to try for the ATL show. Thanks for posting!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I didn't really like the last Bent Knee album. I'll have to see if the set list is good. luckily I have enough time to know in advance.
    The last time they were here was in 2019 with The Tea Club and Thank you Scientist.
    I absolutely loved the Tea Club, thought bent knee were only ok(the first time I saw them was awesome though) and walked out about half way through Thank you Scientist

I didn't really like the last Bent Knee album. I'll have to see if the set list is good. luckily I have enough time to know in advance.
    The last time they were here was in 2019 with The Tea Club and Thank you Scientist.
    I absolutely loved the Tea Club, thought bent knee were only ok(the first time I saw them was awesome though) and walked out about half way through Thank you Scientist
    Interesting, as always, how opinions can differ. I love the last album, and it was in fact, my album of the year! Best thing they've done since Shiny Eyed Babies...to my ears. I'm not sure if I'll go. I'll have to check out the other two bands first. I thought that the Toronto venue on a Saturday night, was a little large, giving the previous sizes of the rooms they've played here.

Edit: I didn't realize at first that it was the name of just one band and not two!

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 06-24-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Bent Knee are supporting the "The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die" tour in November. Has to be the worst band name ever.
    Not to me. The worst band name that I've ever heard was a band called Diarrhea Planet! They used to come to Toronto now and again, and are one of the few bands that I would pass on, just based on name alone, lol. That name just doesn't go down well (HAHA...ha....heh...) with me, at all.

Neil

I like the last album but it was disappointment after the previous two they did. Shiny Eyed Babies and especially Say So are my favourite Bent Knee albums.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Same here, Shiny Eyed Babies and Say So for me.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    yeah, unsure I want to go

They do have 1 of the most annoying, long band names ever, and their music is a little too "emo" or youthful and punk-ish for me, even though they have some elements to their music I like.

They also have some sort of highly political feminist agenda that deters from their music.

I only can see Bent Knee's music being exposed to a new audience I guess, and maybe some of that Emo/Warped Tour/Scenester crowd's taste grow with being exposed to Bent Knee.

I just don't know if I'm going to go only a few days before seeing back-2-back Monkees shows in Milwaukee and Minneapolis.
    Yes, not impressed by their music. This will be a game time decision, I think.

Neil

One annoying thing about that band name is the use of a "&" instead of the word "and", it sounds like two bands.
    The way you describe them makes me very uninterested, but I will check them out. Just in case. Long band names should be good, for example "...and you will know us by the trail of the dead"
    Which is an awesome name, even though the band has never really lived up to it. "The world is a ..." is not, but I won't go into why I think so.

new album "Frosting" coming November 5th.

1st single "Queer Gods" is up streaming. Pretty catchy.

https://bentknee.bandcamp.com/album/frosting

Definitely in for this. Thanks for the heads up!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    new album "Frosting" coming November 5th.

1st single "Queer Gods" is up streaming. Pretty catchy.

https://bentknee.bandcamp.com/album/frosting
    New CD now shipping! I’m

They've completely lost me with Frosting. An absolutely baffling full-on jump into modern autotune pop. The majority of the album sounds like what you hear when someone is trying to impress the neighbourhood with their thumping car stereo.

I genuinely love their other albums (and saw them live too), and I'm sure there will be a fanboy contingent on the FB groups trying to explain to me some sort of inherent bias that causes me not to 'get' this new direction, but to be honest it's one giant disappointment. Further listens (not anytime soon though) may reveal a brief moment here or there that can be salvaged, but this is simply not the music I fell in love with. If this was my first taste of this band, I would never have given them a second thought (and I suspect the vast majority of fans wouldn't have either). A harsh assessment perhaps, but they've put this out there and they know darn well it is going to be polarizing. I'm just sorry I fall on the Nope side of the fence. I can't will myself to like something just because of how much I like what came before.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***