Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning CDs without pauses

Burning CDs without pauses

This should be a simple question I hope. I have a vinyl album that came with a download card. I want to burn the album to a CD. But it is a live album with no pauses between songs. What CD burning software can I use that won't put pauses between the songs so it will play continuously. Windows Media player puts in pauses. Nero costs $39.95. Audacity seems to hard to use. Any simple CD burning software that may possibly be free?

Bob

That link doesn't answer the question about pauses. It's not in options when I look.

There should be a disc-at-once option which keeps the laser from turning off between tracks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Not that I could find in Windows Media Player.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I have Windows Media Player 11. 12 does not support Windows Vista which I still have. I agree the option is in 12 but it is not in 11.

Suspended
    Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a download card? That is, obviously I gather it's a card that has the music on it in some digital form, but is it in the form of one file, one file per track, or what?

Brasero, which is on my Linux system but which I have never used to burn a music CD, has an option "Burn an existing CD/DVD image to disk". I am guessing that's what you want.

The download card (just a piece of paper) gives you access to a file on a website using a code that you have to enter. You save the file to your PC and then unzip it. After you unzip you are left with a bunch of files that represent each track on the album. On the vinyl I have, this is a continuous album as in no pauses. I want the CD to be the same way with no pauses between songs. My current Windows Media Player 11 puts at least 2 second pauses between each song. I want CD burning software where I can choose not to have the pauses. I would prefer not to buy the software as the only thing I will ever do with it is burn CDs from downloaded files.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a download card? That is, obviously I gather it's a card that has the music on it in some digital form, but is it in the form of one file, one file per track, or what?

Brasero, which is on my Linux system but which I have never used to burn a music CD, has an option "Burn an existing CD/DVD image to disk". I am guessing that's what you want.
    It's a code you enter when you go to the (provided) link where the music is. Entering it allows you to download without paying. Just like movies that come with digital versions (though they also set things up to allow you to stream the film).

CDBurnerXP allows you to burn audio CDs without pauses.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It's my understanding that the pauses are created by the laser turning off an on as though it's burning individual data files. If you're burning music, you have to tell it to stop turning off and on. I don't do Windows, but I used to years ago. And there was an option allowing you to choose "disc-at-once" to keep it from happening. Do you not see that option anywhere? (Just another stupid default setting that gives users what they don't want.)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

if you have a hi-fi burner, you can look if you have a track increment on (the remote control and use it during applauses.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Be aware that even if you figure out how to burn "disc-at-once" which eliminates the 2 second gaps the burner puts between tracks, if you are burning mp3 files (which burning software typically converts to .wav) you may still hear tiny gaps between some tracks. This is because mp3 compression introduces small gaps into the files, which the burning software can't eliminate (unless you try cross-fading the tracks slightly, which is probably imprecise - I haven't tried it).

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    It's a code you enter when you go to the (provided) link where the music is. Entering it allows you to download without paying. Just like movies that come with digital versions (though they also set things up to allow you to stream the film).
    Ah OK, I've encountered that, just never seen it referred to as a "download card".

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Be aware that even if you figure out how to burn "disc-at-once" which eliminates the 2 second gaps the burner puts between tracks, if you are burning mp3 files (which burning software typically converts to .wav) you may still hear tiny gaps between some tracks. This is because mp3 compression introduces small gaps into the files, which the burning software can't eliminate (unless you try cross-fading the tracks slightly, which is probably imprecise - I haven't tried it).
    Indeed. I didn't realize he was converting MP3s. That's certainly the case.

You burn it as one track.
    What program are you using to burn it?

I was using Windows Media Player 11, but am willing to use any other free software.

From eHow:

Instructions

1. Launch Windows Media Player. Press the "Ctrl" and "M" keys on the keyboard simultaneously to display the classic-style menu at the top of the window.

2. Click the "Tools" menu at the top of the Media Player window, and then click "Options."

3. Click the "Burn" tab at the top of the Options window.

4. Place a check in the box labeled "Burn CDs without gaps."

5. Click "OK" to save your changes.

Not sure if this applies to your version, but have you even seen any option?

Audacity may be worth another look--I don't know what makes it seem difficult at first, but my experience is that it's very smooth once you get used to it. It lets you snip out that tiny glitch in downloaded mp3s to make them all continuous, reduce the volume if things come out too clipped & loud in earbuds, join multi-part songs, get rid of long stretches of silence for hidden tracks, or trim excessive applause & chatter from live albums (especially the ones where somebody puts the talking at the beginning of the track instead of the end). It may be a bit time-consuming and I don't do those things for my entire library, but I find it worthwhile for the favorites I play the most. If you don't care about super quality for everything, it could also reduce the bitrate in the process and save some disk space.

Well the winner was CDBurnerXP. It did what I wanted and was easy to use. So thank you to Jerjo for the suggestion. Thanks everyone else for your suggestions to.

Bob

I used to have a CD burning software that allowed negative gaps, i.e. you could overlap the tails and heads of songs -- and you could preview the segues! It was really slick for creating continuous mixes of stuff like drone music and electronica where you didn't want any separation between tracks. I don't know of a way to do that anymore, except to import all the tracks in Audacity, line 'em up, then cut 'em apart again.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I used to have a CD burning software that allowed negative gaps, i.e. you could overlap the tails and heads of songs -- and you could preview the segues! It was really slick for creating continuous mixes of stuff like drone music and electronica where you didn't want any separation between tracks. I don't know of a way to do that anymore, except to import all the tracks in Audacity, line 'em up, then cut 'em apart again.
    I use Toast, which does that.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    For Mac, Roxio's Toast allows for cross fading between tracks.

Good to know. I'll try it for my next project.