Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1009

Thread: Billy Sherwood carrying on with Yes!

I remember a good bit of self-promotion, but I also remember Billy answering all kinds of questions about the inner-workings of Yes and other projects and contributions to threads in which he had no direct association.

I always thought he was treated rather harshly by some.

But whatever.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I remember a good bit of self-promotion, but I also remember Billy answering all kinds of questions about the inner-workings of Yes and other projects and contributions to threads in which he had no direct association.

But whatever.
    He did contribute elsewhere, yep I personally didn't think he was treated any more harshly than other musicians who come here, but you could be right.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Who cares about what happened? He's back in Yes and doing a great job fulfilling his promise to Chris. Yes lives. That's all that should matter.

^ I can go along with that.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Who cares about what happened? He's back in Yes and doing a great job fulfilling his promise to Chris. Yes lives. That's all that should matter.
    I Guess I'm the one who brought it up - just curiosity - nothing more, nothing less. I just had no idea of his "history" here.

Thanks for the info Johnny Batts - that does seem about right

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I Guess I'm the one who brought it up - just curiosity - nothing more, nothing less. I just had no idea of his "history" here.

Thanks for the info Johnny Batts - that does seem about right
    You betcha, Frankie
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Usually I'm on your side, but people ARE allowed to ask questions and have them answered.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Usually I'm on your side, but people ARE allowed to ask questions and have them answered.
    True and I meant that in a different way because there was a lot of Billy bashing then,now and hopefully it will stop as the tour progresses. I am not a fan of sifting through dirty laundry that's all. Sometimes when I post it's when I get off of work and I'm wiped out so try to not take what I say to be an attack. I never intended to dictate how you should post here. I just think the past of this band around 1997 could be like Vegas,it stays there. lol

But whatever.
    Yup, regardless of the self-promotion thread issue; there were people here who posted things about Sherwood that I almost guarantee they would never say to his face. He posted a lot of cool insightful things about Yes and other projects, but there were several people here who just seemed to want to make sure he knew that they thought he sucked on a daily basis. I was surprised he stuck around as long as he did.

Is Billy Sherwood REALLY CARRYING ON WITH YES?!

Discuss.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Is Billy Sherwood REALLY CARRYING ON WITH YES?!

Discuss.
    I highly doubt it. They are touring and will call it a day. As did Rush a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I highly doubt it. They are touring and will call it a day. As did Rush a few days ago.
    I certainly hope so--Howe sort of insinuated it---at least Rush went out at the top of their game---Yes would have had to do that after 35th anniversary or Symphonic Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Not true. They have no plans on retiring anytime soon.

Every comment I've seen from them seems to indicate that they're taking a "wait and see" approach.

Which makes sense - why make a decision now?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I was just thinking of age as everyone else has. If Yes tours in two years and makes a new album, Alan White will be 68 and Steve Howe will be 70. Normally, I wouldn't say too old , but it depends on the person.

A reunion of some type could maybe work.

why make a decision now?
    Because SS trolled us to discuss, naturally

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Rolling Stone has a pretty interesting new article about classic rock bands/brands and how to deal with keeping touring acts alive while original members retire and pass on. Yes gets a mention, but alot of focus is on how the Allman Bros estates and management have endorsed a new band to play their music live and Lynryd Skynyrd carrying on with one part time original. They raise some interesting remarks about how the band’s trademark can expire if they are not actively touring.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ers-1234637630

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Rolling Stone has a pretty interesting new article about classic rock bands/brands and how to deal with keeping touring acts alive while original members retire and pass on. Yes gets a mention, but alot of focus is on how the Allman Bros estates and management have endorsed a new band to play their music live and Lynryd Skynyrd carrying on with one part time original. They raise some interesting remarks about how the band’s trademark can expire if they are not actively touring.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ers-1234637630
    Interesting piece.

Wonder if Rolling Stones would go on without Jagger and Richards.

Golden Earring just called it a day when George Kooymans got ALS.
    The individual members still make music.
    Barry Hay has a project with another musician and recorded an album
    George Kooymans also made an album with another musician
    Rinus Gerritsen plays with Robert-Jan Stips in some form of Supersister
    And I think Cesar Zuiderwijk does several musical things.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    No mention of the Allman Betts Band, which seems odd.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    As long as the music survives I don't see any real disservice to a brand. If people want to be in a band who plays a brand's music as that brand then do so knowing that there may be dissent among that brand's fan base or the family of former members. I've seen many big names knowing that they may or may not involve original members. Foreigner comes to mind, with a sickly Mick Jones being the only original member. Whitesnake with David Coverdale (in great form actually) and one other original member. Journey and Def Leppard on the same bill, both with a handful of original members, at least the ones that count. A lot of classic rock bands were revolving doors for players anyway. No one is getting hurt that I know of. Still, I reserve the right to be a killjoy and point out to people that what they're listening to, while a reasonable facsimile, is not the original lineup. And most people, outside of internet message boards, often give zero fucks anyway.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I forgot about Little Feat, a band most older fans would say died with Lowell George. But the band still exists (put out new material up through 2013), with a lineup that has been around longer than George was (although they lost primsry vocalist Paul Barrere in '19 to cancer). The idea and spirit of the band's music and live performance seems to have transcended the notion of original membership participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    No mention of the Allman Betts Band, which seems odd.
    My understanding is that Allman Betts are focusing on their original material and not putting on shows of ABB music. Either way, Allman Betts are not the band endorsed by the estates and management to continue ABB’s music done live and keep the brand name trademark in use.

While I take your overall point, 4/5 of the current Def Leppard lineup played on Pyromania (1983). That's pretty stable.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I forgot about Little Feat, a band most older fans would say died with Lowell George. But the band still exists (put out new material up through 2013), with a lineup that has been around longer than George was (although they lost primsry vocalist Paul Barrere in '19 to cancer). The idea and spirit of the band's music and live performance seems to have transcended the notion of original membership participation.
    Saw them earlier this year and it was a great show. A few original members and a few long time members.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    They raise some interesting remarks about how the band’s trademark can expire if they are not actively touring.
    That's not true. They don't need to tour to keep their trademark from expiring. They can do any commerce, like selling T-Shirts, or even keeping a website published.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"