Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Sherwood carrying on with Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    <facepalm>

Why can't people just give it a chance and then decide if they like it?

Who gives a rip what they call it or who the personnel is????
    Bruford nailed it in his book, saying that for some reason, in rock, the band members all seem to have to slash their wrists and merge their blood (paraphrasing). Even though they occasionally did some interesting things afterwards, Yes basically jumped the shark for me after CttE when Bruford left. They were a solid, heavier rock band with Alan, but they weren't Yes...at least they weren't MY Yes. To each their own. That said, if the survivinig members want to carry on as Yes, they have my complete blessing, as though they need it. People who live in freedeom should be free to do as they wish. As Wakeman said, "Yes will outlive us all."

Bob

At some point, when we want to see or hear any of our favorite music, we'll have to decide which tribute band(s) do the music justice...but then again..with music like Yes has, it kind of reminds me of seeing a symphony orchestra...I guess you can call them a Mozart or Beethoven cover band..but no one does, as that's the way the music has been presented for ages. Who performs "Ritual" for a crowd in 150 years? Fans will get used to it, or they won't. I'm just glad I got to experience what I did...even though it wasn't in their "heyday". It was great enough for me.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    How about looking at it this way? Go see the band out of respect for Chris Squire. It seems obvious that what your comment above implies, is exactly what he wouldn't have wanted. He made several comments in recent years implying that it was more about the music of Yes than anything else. Even stating that he could definitely see some form of Yes being around years from now to play the great music that the band created.
    I really think I'm probably happier letting 2014 be my last show. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that Yes, as a band, should be immortal in a way that other bands haven't. The music may be timeless and will always live on as long as there are people listening to it and sharing it. I feel like the farther away you get from the quirky individualism of the players who originally created the music, the weaker the spirit gets. Music created in the here and now with the same spirit isn't necessarily going to sound like the Yes of old. Sounding like the Yes of old with different guys isn't an idea that appeals to me.

Anderson/Wakeman/Howe/White/Sherwood would be a credible iteration of Yes.

Davison/Downes/Howe/White/Sherwood really isn't, IMO. I'm certainly open to giving any of their new output a listen, but it's a bit much to consider this collective to actually be a continuation of the Yes legacy.

Even before Chris' illness was revealed, I was pretty much in the mindset of not wanting to go see them again. I saw them last summer. With Chris' passing, I'm now VERY glad that I did. He was fantastic, as were Howe and Davison. Downes got the job done for the most part. I've always liked him, but covering for Wakeman seemed to be just barely within reach. My problem was Alan White. He seemed to be hanging on by a thread and I just didn't want to see them like that again. Now with Chris gone AND no Anderson, I offer no apologies for letting them go. I wish the best to all of them in whatever they choose to do. It's honestly too late for them to "go out on a high note" in my opinion, so whatever they do with the name from here on out doesn't really concern me. RIP Chris. Your music will live on forever, with or without a band called YES playing it live.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Anderson/Wakeman/Howe/White/Sherwood would be a credible iteration of Yes.

Davison/Downes/Howe/White/Sherwood really isn't, IMO. I'm certainly open to giving any of their new output a listen, but it's a bit much to consider this collective to actually be a continuation of the Yes legacy.
    IMO this would be the only way the YES flame should remain burning after their tour commitments. It would almost be the classic line-up again and would certainly be credible.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I'd be floored if Howe and Anderson ever worked together again. And I still don't think Anderson could tour the way Yes does now. Plus, they seem to like working with Davison. It just doesn't make sense.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'd be floored if Howe and Anderson ever worked together again. And I still don't think Anderson could tour the way Yes does now. Plus, they seem to like working with Davison. It just doesn't make sense.
    Of course he can't, but it will still come up again and again.

Yes doesn't need our say so to be credible. They have two very long term players and a third who has been around for many years over a couple of stints. They also have a fourth who was in the band previously and was asked to return by the person he is replacing (whether short or long term). I like Davison a lot and it appears that the existing band does, as well. Since touring has been their main focus in recent years, it only makes sense to have someone younger who can stand up to the task.

I'm not sure how much effort I'll make to see them in the future, but I'd hardly consider them to be anything but credible.

Two words:

YES COLLECTIVE

We could have a new album by month's end.

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Of course he can't, but it will still come up again and again.

Yes doesn't need our say so to be credible. They have two very long term players and a third who has been around for many years over a couple of stints. They also have a fourth who was in the band previously and was asked to return by the person he is replacing (whether short or long term). I like Davison a lot and it appears that the existing band does, as well. Since touring has been their main focus in recent years, it only makes sense to have someone younger who can stand up to the task.

I'm not sure how much effort I'll make to see them in the future, but I'd hardly consider them to be anything but credible.
    Considering that I would stil give a solo album by any member a chance, I would certainly say that they are credible as a band. I am sure that some would agree but say that band shouldn't be called YES. It's a fine line and truly, since every member has a somewhat substantial to very significant amount of time vested in the band YES, I think it is fair for them to still call themselves as such.

It has been said on here and elsewhere many times, but this is the dawn of the new 'classical music' and I sincerely hope that my kids will go to watch 'Yes' in 20 years time and love it as much as I did / still do.

In 2035, Yes may consist of Ross McLochness, Ronnie Pudding, Denny Upham, Little Danny Schindler and Elvis.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    We obviously look at things differently. Even down to your comment about your conversation with Billy Sherwood.
    All I can say is that you weren't part of that conversation, he and I (and another were). It wasn't some random "fan at a festival" either, it was "on topic". I brought it up because someone (James?) talked about balls. I got 'em.

Your comments are poignant, though. We see things differently. Always a good thing.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    All I can say is that you weren't part of that conversation, he and I (and another were). It wasn't some random "fan at a festival" either, it was "on topic". I brought it up because someone (James?) talked about balls. I got 'em.

Your comments are poignant, though. We see things differently. Always a good thing.
    Thank you and yes, I agree that it does take balls to criticize someone's art to their face. On topic or not, I don't have those kind of balls. I believe it is totally acceptable to be critical while writing a review or something like that but telling a guy that you didn't like what he brought to a band to his face does take stones. I trust that, as you said, it was on topic but it would be interesting to know what that topic was. I am sure it isn't the first or last time that Billy was criticized to his face by an admirer of YES, but I would also be interested to hear what his reaction to the comment was. My guess is that he was gracious as everyone is entitled to an opinion but it is tough conversation to have, no doubt.

I thought The Ladder was a great album.
    I thought Drama was a great album.
    I thought the Davison Glass Hammer records were great.

The problem is not and will not be Davison, Sherwood and/or Downes but rather with White. He just doesn't seem to have much left in the tank.
    The Prog Corner

If we have a beer sometime, I'll tell you all about it. But as a critic, I will say that I will only write words that I can back up in person. Not a fan of Internet balls!
    All that said, it would really be nice to have a Chris Squire Tribute featuring all eras of his music. And I do wish Sherwood well, he has big shoes to fill, but he certainly earned them.

YES has been a such a profound part of my life and I'm sticking with them until the very end.

I brought it up because someone (James?) talked about balls.
    To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that everyone go talk shit to Billy, just that if you have something to say about someone, say it to them, or say it in private if you need to get it off your chest. Saying it in a public forum that you're confident they won't visit - behind a screen name no less - is pretty childish and sad. But again, as I said above - that's basically the default use of the internet now - a place for people to talk shit about other people without fear of consequences.

I was never able to see most of the bands that I love in their heyday, I was too young. I have had the opportunity to see many in various formations over the years, and what is important to me is that the music lives on and is played, because it is great music. I can't say I have always felt this way, but I do now. I go see Zappa Plays Zappa whenever the band comes to town, and I am never disappointed. I saw the Musical Box many times, and have loved those shows. Seeing Steve Hackett perform those Genesis classics has also been amazing. I want this music to live and grow, and have the opportunity to connect with new generations. There will be a day (sooner than we think) when none of these bands will be able to perform, but I am hopeful that the music carries on.

If we have a beer sometime, I'll tell you all about it. But as a critic, I will say that I will only write words that I can back up in person. Not a fan of Internet balls!
    All that said, it would really be nice to have a Chris Squire Tribute featuring all eras of his music. And I do wish Sherwood well, he has big shoes to fill, but he certainly earned them.
    As a critic, I would fully expect you to support your opinion in front of the artist or otherwise and I agree on the Squire tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    In 2035, Yes may consist of Ross McLochness, Ronnie Pudding, Denny Upham, Little Danny Schindler and Elvis.
    That would be fine, as long as nobody spontaneously combusts onstage.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    YES has been a such a profound part of my life and I'm sticking with them until the very end.
    Preach!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I was never able to see most of the bands that I love in their heyday, I was too young. I have had the opportunity to see many in various formations over the years, and what is important to me is that the music lives on and is played, because it is great music. I can't say I have always felt this way, but I do now. I go see Zappa Plays Zappa whenever the band comes to town, and I am never disappointed. I saw the Musical Box many times, and have loved those shows. Seeing Steve Hackett perform those Genesis classics has also been amazing. I want this music to live and grow, and have the opportunity to connect with new generations. There will be a day (sooner than we think) when none of these bands will be able to perform, but I am hopeful that the music carries on.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    That would be fine, as long as nobody spontaneously combusts onstage.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    It's awesome how the internet allows you to talk shit about people with actually having to directly address them or put your name behind your words, ain't it? lol.

Billy's very active on Facebook; why don't you have some balls and go insult him directly?
    Sherwood used to be a member of this forum for a while and a lot of people treated him like shit, so he eventually left (unless he still lurks). As Roger Waters once said on Amused To Death it’s “the bravery of being out of range”. I know a quite a few people on this forum in real life. Some of them would never say things face to face that they say on the Internet behind the safety of their keyboards. I guess we are all probably guilty of that to an extent, but I really thought Sherwood was treated pretty crappy when he was here.

As for the future of Yes, I already had tickets to the Detroit show before any of Chris’s health issues were announced. I am planning to go into it with an open mind. If the current band ever puts out another album I will do the same thing. I will most likely buy it and give it a chance.

Yeah I think they hate each other---if Anderson, Howe, White Wakeman and Tony Levin get together and record new music --I'd go see that.Was listening to NEC ABWH and Levin is so good.
    Sherwood is out of his league---with these guys----and has worked on the worse Yes album ever and a mediocre one---plus I agree with the post above that Yes doesn't have to go on forever---It's over for me a long time fan---Anderson or Howe could tour with any great group and have---and perform Yes music powerfully.

If "Yes" has Ronnie Pudding and Denny Upham still in the lineup, I'll go see them
    (referring to my 2037 Yes cruise-to-the-edge attendance)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "