Thread: Billy Sherwood carrying on with Yes!

It's depressing that people have to be dicks about the other people who may want to continue earning a living making music because It Just Does Not Fit The Mythology of What We Think Yes Is, Dammit. However, I do agree the soul of the band is gone, which makes the whole thing a bit melancholy for me. On the other hand, like another poster said... they could actually want to make good music. If so, I'll get it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I can't take any issue with most of what you say, except:
    "Yes has suffered from this "they can do no wrong" attitude (again imho)"

In your opinion then, where does this happen? Certainly not here or Yesfans. Or even their own Facebook page.

And:
    "and a lot of people have been apologists about albums that were really not that great"

You might've wanted to throw an IMHO at the end of the that statement too. It's funny how people who like things we don't like are considered "apologists." I mean, damn, all our subjective negative opinions could be declared objective if the apologists would just get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It Just Does Not Fit The Mythology of What We Think Yes Is, Dammit.
    If you substitute the word Legacy for Mythology, that sentence takes on new meaning.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post

You might've wanted to throw an IMHO at the end of the that statement too. It's funny how people who like things we don't like are considered "apologists." I mean, damn, all our subjective negative opinions could be declared objective if the apologists would just get out of the way.
    I get your point, but there's the issue of legacy, nostalgia and so forth that come into play with bands that still perform music written four or five decades ago. In a perfect world we woudlnt' compare Fly From Here to CLose To the Edge. But...

Anyway, it's always IOHOs, isn't it?! I'm off to lunch!

Without Anderson and now Squire, it ain't Yes. With that said, I'm sure they will put out some fine music.

The interesting thing about this is that now I am a bit more interested in seeing Yes. There was a time up to about 4 years ago that I never missed a Yes tour. Even through the years of 2000-2009, I thought the band attempted some very interesting tours. Suddenly a few years ago, it seemed as if the band started going through the motions. The set lists became more redundant and though I thought the "play several albums" thing was ok, they seemed to do it for too long.

I have no problem with Billy Sherwood and it makes perfect logical sense for him to step in for Squire. Who better quite honestly? He was a member of the band, recorded with Chris as much as anyone and was a friend. I think it will be interesting to see him sub for Squire, That said, I am sure the tour with Toto setlist will also play it safe. If Yes continues, they may very well permanently stay in that mode. Touring with unsurprising setlists, appealing mainly to the fan who cares less about who is on stage and more about hearing 'Roundabout' and 'I've seen all good people" for the millionth time. Not trying to sound snarky about that because in some ways, maybe that makes the most amount of sense at this point of the YES story.

I don't agree with the people who are shutting the door completely on the band as there is still a lot of talent contained within this line up, Fair to say that it will never be the same as it was. Even if they reunited with Jon Anderson, it would be interesting, but it would be lacking without Chris there. YES is a brand name and I understand the want to continue to tour the music. Considering Squire's own comment about Yes touring in 100 years, I think it's safe to say that he wanted the music of Yes to continue.

This line-up is a bit of a quandary for me. I do plan on going to the 8/22 Atlanta show (although I don't have tickets yet) As I have stated here many times in other YES-related threads about seeing YES LIVE, My take is: I'll always go to see Steve Howe as he has been my idol for many years and inspired me to take the GTR seriously and attend GIT....with THAT said, I'm starting to some-what agree with people who are saying: NO Jon, no Chris, super-slow tempos (although, last tour saw a great improvement in that area)...no YES. My main three reasons for going to this show are: 1) to see a tribute to Chris (they can't be THAT callous to NOT have some-sort of visual/musical tribute to the guy) 2) to see Steve Howe again, and 3) this really might be the last time I/we get to see YES.

...just my 2 cents

btw: I have nothing against Billy at all. He really does have his work cut out for himself and quite a burden to carry and I wish him all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's not just people on here, it's Yes fans in general. Ironically, they don't like change.
    Change We Mustn't.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I wish Sherwood luck, but a Yes with no Anderson and no Squire takes the band to a place where my heart will simply not allow me to follow.

I'm sure Squire would have wanted the band to carry on, and Billy knows the material and is a fine player, so I'm glad they are continuing with their tour. It would be a very bittersweet show to attend, maybe even a little painful to see the band without Chris I think. I wish them the very best.

<facepalm>

Why can't people just give it a chance and then decide if they like it?

Who gives a rip what they call it or who the personnel is????
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I get your point, but there's the issue of legacy, nostalgia and so forth that come into play with bands that still perform music written four or five decades ago. In a perfect world we woudlnt' compare Fly From Here to CLose To the Edge. But...

Anyway, it's always IOHOs, isn't it?! I'm off to lunch!
    It's all a matter of opinion actually. Perfect world or not, I though 'Fly From Here' was the best album the band had released in years. I still love it and to me, it sounded like a band who still had something to prove. As someone mentioned above, it doesn't make me an "apologist", I just think it's a really good album. 'Heaven & Earth' was a disappointment to me, but hats off to those who like it.

That said, I never truly compare what a modern Yes line up records to Yes albums from 40 years ago. It makes no sense to do so. It is obvious that the band itself was not trying to recapture the output of that era, so why compare 'Fly from here' to 'CTTE'? They are apples and oranges in almost every way.

As for Sherwood, I don't really like most of his "Yes" material, and yes, I told him that at a Progfest in LA back in the 90s!
    I'm sure he appreciated your candor and chalked it up to either Tourette's or a typical level of prog fan Asperger's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I wish Sherwood luck, but a Yes with no Anderson and no Squire takes the band to a place where my heart will simply not allow me to follow.
    How about looking at it this way? Go see the band out of respect for Chris Squire. It seems obvious that what your comment above implies, is exactly what he wouldn't have wanted. He made several comments in recent years implying that it was more about the music of Yes than anything else. Even stating that he could definitely see some form of Yes being around years from now to play the great music that the band created.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    <facepalm>

Why can't people just give it a chance and then decide if they like it?

Who gives a rip what they call it or who the personnel is????
    Scott, just to digress for a minute, I wanted to take a post to publicly apologize for needling you like a jackass a few weeks ago over your choice of words in an otherwise completely harmless discussion. To offer any excuse why I was busting your chops would sound like I was trying to justify my behavior, so I won't. I'm sorry, I was being an asshole.

No worries, James. Thanks for your apology.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    My main three reasons for going to this show are: 1) to see a tribute to Chris (they can't be THAT callous to NOT have some-sort of visual/musical tribute to the guy) 2) to see Steve Howe again, and 3) this really might be the last time I/we get to see YES.
    IMO this is entirely valid.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

IMO, Yes can add whomever they want, as long as it isn't ...

ROBERT PLANET!
    (Robert Planet??)

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    IMO, Yes can add whomever they want, as long as it isn't ...

ROBERT PLANET!
    (Robert Planet??)
    Whew! I thought you were gonna say Phil Collins

All I can add to this discussion is this: the fact that they even had to make the decision to carry on without squire makes me really sad

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm sure he appreciated your candor and chalked it up to either Tourette's or a typical level of prog fan Asperger's.
    Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    It's all a matter of opinion actually.

That said, I never truly compare what a modern Yes line up records to Yes albums from 40 years ago. It makes no sense to do so. It is obvious that the band itself was not trying to recapture the output of that era, so why compare 'Fly from here' to 'CTTE'? They are apples and oranges in almost every way.
    Respectfully, I disagree. When you put Roger Dean's classic logo, or mix the set with music, even entire albums from the 70s, you're drawing a straight line, saying "this is the same apple as that was". BTW, I should have put e.g. for FFH and CTTE. Could have been OYE or Talk and CTTE for that matter.

Respectfully, I disagree. When you put Roger Dean's classic logo, or mix the set with music, even entire albums from the 70s, you're drawing a straight line, saying "this is the same apple as that was".
    I couldn't disagree more.

When you put Roger Dean's classic logo, or mix the set with music, even entire albums from the 70s, you're drawing a straight line, saying "this is the same apple as that was". BTW, I should have put e.g. for FFH and CTTE. Could have been OYE or Talk and CTTE for that matter.
    There was a "fairly" clear demarcation based on the logos of CttE vs Talk

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Respectfully, I disagree. When you put Roger Dean's classic logo, or mix the set with music, even entire albums from the 70s, you're drawing a straight line, saying "this is the same apple as that was". BTW, I should have put e.g. for FFH and CTTE. Could have been OYE or Talk and CTTE for that matter.
    Absurd.

Or not.

I respectfully, disagree as well. I don't have a problem with using the logo as I still consider FFH To be YES. I also knew to a certain extent what to expect from FFH because of Trevor Horn's involvement. To me, CTTE, as masterful as it is, is a product of its time. It is obvious that the band never attempted to fully recreate or emulate the music of that era. Most likely because it wasn't where their heads were musically for the most part. I understand that and judged each album for what it was rather than comparing them to what they did 30 years or more years ago. Not to sound arrogant, but I think it is a good way of judging things accordingly rather than comparing things so harshly against something that was done in the past. Truthfully, in some ways, I found Yes to be the most boring when they WERE seeming to try and emulate the past.

We obviously look at things differently. Even down to your comment about your conversation with Billy Sherwood. Personally, I would never say something like that to the guy. When all is said and done, regardless of the finished product, I am sure that Billy Sherwood was trying to do good things for the band. I know that your post was in response to another that referenced saying something to him directly, but maybe some things are better left unsaid sometimes. I guess my opinion is this.. What is the point of telling Billy Sherwood to his face that you didn't like what he brought to YES? I am not saying that I am right or you are wrong, but I kind of don't get that to be honest.