Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3RDegree Release "ONES & ZEROS: Vol. 1" plus FREE Download, European Tour

My copy just arrived in the mail yesterday, so I've been listening to it at work today. So far, I think it's really enjoyable. My favorite tracks are probably The Gravity, This Is The Future, and Circuit Court. The presence of pop hooks, proggy/artistic leanings, and even some jazz elements, are some of the things I like about them.

It is possible to be a "modern prog" band without sounding retro, and 3RDegree is proof of that. Don't get me wrong, I love retro, but I don't want to hear it all the time.

Edit: On my second listen, and really glad I ordered this one. Nice work guys.
    Last edited by aith01; 08-07-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    My copy just arrived in the mail yesterday, so I've been listening to it at work today. So far, I think it's really enjoyable. My favorite tracks are probably The Gravity, This Is The Future, and Circuit Court. The presence of pop hooks, proggy/artistic leanings, and even some jazz elements, are some of the things I like about them.

It is possible to be a "modern prog" band without sounding retro, and 3RDegree is proof of that. Don't get me wrong, I love retro, but I don't want to hear it all the time.

Edit: On my second listen, and really glad I ordered this one. Nice work guys.
    We try not to mull it over too much as to how to approach our stuff. Just writing what comes naturally and arranging it like we do seems to yield a result that has enough "activity" to keep progressive rock listeners interested while not being overtly dated-leaning too much on the classic prog era. I think the 70's prog era is one of our flavors-a big flavor-but always mixed with some of the other influences we picked up along the way. While we were all in our teens looking back a decade+ we got the prog bug but in our late teens and 20's you had the early grunge era hitting and other influences ("alternative", "electronica") that continued to effect us.

That said, we have restricted ourselves lyrically to songs that fit in with the concept of these particular volume 1 & 2 album series. George and Pat have been the real drivers of the concept/story while letting other band members-me included-to pitch in ideas that contributed to the world of the album. We've taken some existing songs that we've always liked but never had a home for and fitted them with lyrics that make them fall right into place. 3 of those will be on the next album.

Because of this coming tour we were working on this album right to the last minute and got it out on our label on 7/7 with no space for reflection. It's been a whirlwind and although we've spent this whole year listening to the album over and over again you lose perspective. You think maybe it's a studio album that won't translate to the stage and other concerns. You're never sure how people will respond-especially to an album like this one which I think should be paid attention to but can be listened to casually if need be. With little exception, these fears were unfounded. The songs from the album we're playing live are working well and the album is being received (as much as we can perceive) very positively and it's not out widely for another 9 days.

New press:

Music In Belgium 4.5/5 stars (in French)

Jon Byrne's Blog

DangerDog (loved last album but this album's concept didn't quite gel with him) 3.5/5

and we still sit atop as the #1 Album of 2015 at ProgArchives (in front of he who shall be named Steve Wilson) with 50 ratings before the album's release

^ Congratulations, gentlemen....

Thanks Greg!

If anyone is interested in hearing the whole album as singer George, guitarist Pat and I talk about it in between pairs of songs, you can listen to this downloadable podcast.

3RDegree's ONES & ZEROS is out everywhere as of August 18th!

Here's a detailed new interview with Robert and Pat from 3RDegree about the new CD, courtesy of Justin Carlton over at The Prog Mind.

http://theprogmind.com/2015/09/03/a-...band-3rdegree/

Steve
    www.10trecords.com

Orcopian
    Love you guys at summers end, great songs and performance and so much humour in adversity. A nice change to the standard prog many of the other bands played, you really don't sound like anyone else, the songs I have heard are very catchy as well and really interesting lyrics. I picked up zeros and ones and long division from your merch table and am really looking forward to hearing. can't believe I've not listened to you before but that is one of the strengths of the festival giving us a chance to see new bands, Stephen and Huw have great taste.

Did anyone buy enough CDs to get the keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    Love you guys at summers end, great songs and performance and so much humour in adversity. A nice change to the standard prog many of the other bands played, you really don't sound like anyone else, the songs I have heard are very catchy as well and really interesting lyrics. I picked up zeros and ones and long division from your merch table and am really looking forward to hearing. can't believe I've not listened to you before but that is one of the strengths of the festival giving us a chance to see new bands, Stephen and Huw have great taste.

Did anyone buy enough CDs to get the keyboard?
    Yes. We gave the keyboard away hoping we can borrow it again if we ever come back to the UK.

Thanks for the kind words. We also like to think our influences are broad enough that it's hard to point who we sound like at any given point in a song. We hope no one listens to us and says things like "this is the Marillion-y part" etc.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    So how'd the overseas tour go?

Pretty well Rick. The 6 dates leading up to the festival were lighter in attendance than we had hoped but we were dealing with an Ayreon live rock opera at exactly the time we were playing in Holland, Spock's Beard and Steven Wilson playing while we did the rest of the dates and quite nearby as well. The people who WERE there though were very appreciative and enjoyed the shows very much-even our little bar show in Paris! I broke a bass string 2 songs into our Summer's End Festival which had me borrowing Matthew from Discipline's 5-string bass when I'm a 4-string bassist so it was VERY frustrating for me that night but we seemed to be endearing to the crowd via our schtick while I searched for a bass. I captured quite a few of the shows on more than one camera but many on just one camera as we were running around like chickens without heads much more than we had hoped. All of our travel plans went off well with a few close calls but nothing too bad. One of the reasons I hadn't a bass string to change with was my special bass strings and the fact that I had realized I lost my spares the night before the festival show. I also lost some camera equipment for my GoPros and a tripod.

Everyone, please come see us in the US if you can:

Friday, October 9 Mexicali Live Teaneck, NJ w/Zappa tribute Project/Object 8:00

Saturday, October 17 Orion Baltimore, MD 8:00

Saturday, October 24 XO Lounge Philadelphia, PA 7:00 w/Orpheus Nine & The Twenty Committee

Sunday, November 1 NJ Proghouse @ Roxy & Dukes Dunellen, NJ w/Tim Motzer's Orion Tango 5:30 (4:30 doors) -we go on around 7

Hi Robert, really enjoyed the show at Summer's End. Shame about the bass issues but the guys did really well keeping the crowd on side with various tour anecdotes and the performances were all great.

Could you let me know the setlist?

Hey Jezmond. I don't remember the set list right now but I'll consult the video and get back to you.

BREAKING NEWS: Our Philadelphia show has been cancelled for this Saturday 10/24. If we do not find a venue to replace it, our VERY LAST SHOW OF THE YEAR (and longest show) will be Sunday, November 1st at NJ Proghouse (at Roxy & Dukes Dunellen, NJ) with Orion Tango opening. Doors are at 4:30 and show starts at 5:30. We're probably on around 7. This will be our 9th concert in a short period of time and we've really hit a good stride. Anyone within reasonable distance-please come to the show. We have none planned until RoSfest on May 6, 2016. Tickets are $15 in advance at www.njproghouse.com

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    The guys from P/O I chatted with last Tuesday night at the Iron Horse agreed that 3D was the best band that opened for them at Mexacali Live in Teaneck recently. All kidding aside, they seemed to really like youz guys.

Really great show at Orion last Saturday. Nice talking to you Robert. Looking forward to RF2016.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jezmond View Post
    Could you let me know the setlist?
    3RDegree at Summer's End Festival Set List Oct 3, 2015

The Socio-Economic Petri Dish (The Long Division)
    You're Fooling Yourselves (The Long Division)
    Life At Any Cost (Ones & Zeros: vol. 1)
    What It Means To Be Human (Ones & Zeros: vol. 1)
    The Best & Brightest (Ones & Zeros: vol. 1)
    Circuit Court (Ones & Zeros: vol. 1)
    The Gravity (Ones & Zeros: vol. 1)
    Top Secret (Human Interest Story)
    It Works (Narrow-Caster)
    Memetic Pandemic (The Long Division)

Casualties of the bass string nightmare? Probably:

Apophenia (Narrow-Caster)
    This Is The Future (Ones & Zeros: vol. 1)

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    The guys from P/O I chatted with last Tuesday night at the Iron Horse agreed that 3D was the best band that opened for them at Mexacali Live in Teaneck recently. All kidding aside, they seemed to really like youz guys.
    It was a great, short show Rick. Their audience REALLY liked us. I wish we got more signatures for our email list but I hope we're on their minds going forward. The band were pretty cool too. Strangely, when we opened up the tour in NYC P/O's keyboardist was there playing with Anton Roolart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Really great show at Orion last Saturday. Nice talking to you Robert. Looking forward to RF2016.
    Excellent meeting you too! Thanks SO much for attending. We felt quite good about the Orion show barring a few snafus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    BREAKING NEWS: Our Philadelphia show has been cancelled for this Saturday 10/24.
    that sux ;-(
    Hopefully I can get to the Proghouse show instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gflorio View Post
    that sux ;-(
    Hopefully I can get to the Proghouse show instead.
    We'd LOVE you to! Philly was going to be 45 minutes. NJP will be 90+ so the extra mileage will get you a double length show. Come say "hi" ok?

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Brand new, very thorough review of the album at THE PROG MIND
    I think they probably listened to it more than once.
    A great review!

Agreed. We (Patrick Kliesch and Robert James Pashman) had a very in-depth phone conversation with Justin about the album before he wrote the review but he really dug in and did some intense listening to come up with his interpretation of what the songs are about.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Congratulations on all your successes!

Thanks Greg! Some of the best press has been corralled here:

YearEndAccolades.jpg