Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gentle Giant news??

Big announcement tomorrow. Anyone knows what that might be?

https://twitter.com/GGIANTMUSIC/stat...17916291444736

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    Big announcement tomorrow. Anyone knows what that might be?

https://twitter.com/GGIANTMUSIC/stat...17916291444736
    A new Steve Wilson remix? Hope it's Free Hand

Hmm...consider me interested.
    Thanks, Dharma!

I'm going to guess that it's a box set of all the studio albums (have they done that?). Of course that's just a wild guess based on the picture. Maybe they'll all be remixed as well, maybe some bonus material though I can't really imagine there is anything left for them to release at this point.

Doesn't anyone remember the "big huge boxset" that's being put together? It's like 20CDs of live stuff, plus a coffee table book...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Doesn't anyone remember the "big huge boxset" that's being put together? It's like 20CDs of live stuff, plus a coffee table book...
    My thoughts as well: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...Giant(October)

And there's this.. from an interview I did couple years ago...

Charles: You were very firm - that’s it and close the book, put it on the shelf and never open it again. And for a lot a years –
    Derek: I don’t say never again because we’re speaking about it now. We’re treading old footprints.

whoa...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    And there's this.. from an interview I did couple years ago...

Charles: You were very firm - that’s it and close the book, put it on the shelf and never open it again. And for a lot a years –
    Derek: I don’t say never again because we’re speaking about it now. We’re treading old footprints.

whoa...
    Is that about what I think it's about?

Really looking forward to tomorrow's news from GG. Also love the picture of Derek, Ray & Kerry from August in their Twitter feed. Thanks to Dharma for sharing the news.

What could this be?
    The Prog Corner

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    40 city world tour
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    40 city world tour
    ... as opening act band for the reunited GENESIS (including P.Gabriel and S.Hackett) tour.

Giant size box set...at least 100 discs titled Gentle Giants Greatest Hits!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    40 city world tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    ... as opening act band for the reunited GENESIS (including P.Gabriel and S.Hackett) tour.
    I'd go if they played Boston .... on a weekend .... and didn't start to late.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This was just listed at Burning Shed. Massive box set indeed!

https://burningshed.com/gentle-giant..._category=true

...if I were a rich man, la de dah de dah dah dah de dah...

Including a lavish 136-page coffee table hardback book and 96-page tour history book, Unburied Treasure is a 30-disc deluxe boxset with signed photo, authorised by all members of Gentle Giant.

Strictly limited to 2000 copies globally, the set includes remastered versions of the 12 albums the band released between 1970 and 1980, along with 15 concert albums (7 never previously released, 7 never previously officially released and 1 previously unavailable on CD). The box also includes two posthumous live/outtakes albums and a Blu-ray bonus disc (featuring a Steven Wilson surround mix of the band’s 1970 debut).

Also included are books, posters, replica promotional items and much more.

**This boxset will be shipped by courier**

---------

The contents of the Unburied Treasure box set include:

• Signed photograph by band members Derek Shulman, Ray Shulman, Gary Green, Kerry Minnear & John Weathers
    • Brand new cover artwork illustration by Bob Venables based on original illustrator George Underwood's design for the band's debut album
    • The 12 original albums released during the band's active years, including live album Playing the Fool
    • Two albums released after the disbanding: Winchester 1971 (live) & Pinewood Rehearsal 1977 (outtakes)
    • 15 official previously unreleased live albums:
    • Essen 1972 *
    • New Orleans 1972 (feat. three previously unreleased BBC recordings)
    • Hollywood Bowl 1972 *
    • Vicenza 1973 *
    • Torino 1973
    • Munster 1974 *
    • St Gallen 1974 *
    • Cleveland Agora 1975
    • Basel 1975 *
    • Dusseldorf 1976 Part 1 †
    • Dusseldorf & Brussels 1976 Part 2 †
    • Munich 1976 †
    • Paris 1976 †
    • Chester 1977
    • Roxy 1980

* Audience recording remastered for the highest possible quality

† Unreleased material from the 'Playing the Fool' gigs remixed by GG expert Dan Bornemark

• All music on the 29 CDs has been newly remastered by Pete Reynolds
    • Blu-ray disc with a listening experience second to none – featuring the full debut album Gentle Giant remixed by Steven Wilson in high resolution 96/24 Stereo LPCM, 96/24 5.1 surround LPCM and DTS-HD 5.1 surround. Also included are the instrumental mixes for every track
    • 136-page hardback coffee table book featuring the band's in-depth story as told by GG expert Alan Kinsman, as well as: rare photographs, posters, passes and unburied memorabilia from the band and fans
    • Exclusive 96-page tour history book compiled by Jack Skelly, comprising: set lists, memorabilia and gig review notes including commentary on the new live recordings
    • Two replica posters of their first gig at Portsmouth Polytechnic 1970 and 'The Power & The Glory' – voted as the most popular poster on the official band website
    • Replica 'Playing The Fool' booklet, which was originally given away with the first 10,000 sales of the album
    • Replica 'Giant For A Day' mask, which was included in the original 1978 album
    • Replica Missing Piece jigsaw, which was a promotional item for the album when originally released. One randomly chosen boxset will also include the MISSING GOLDEN PIECE, which, when claimed, will award the owner with the coveted 'The Power & The Glory' screen printed mirror

Wow! Too rich for my blood but it's a banquet for the true fans. Hope GG considers a standalone release for the Blu-Ray remix of the debut album.

That actually looks pretty good value for everything you get.
    Ian

Well, I guessed correctly (see my post #29). Not really any chance of me buying it though, since it will cost $360 USD to get it to me

Probably worth it, but there is no way I'm spending that kind of money, especially since I have all their albums, the scraping the barrel stuff, and a half dozen or so live shows. If money was no object though, I'd still get it. Don't really have that kind of disposable cash though, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Possibly related to this recent meeting?

https://twitter.com/dvsmusic/status/1165375132141010945
    Weird how Ray has turned into John Weathers

hope we get a SW remix of the first lp and an expanded Playing The Fool out of this eventually... Way out of my wheel-house, why would I want to replace ALL of the Gentle Giant stuff I've gotten over the years just to get it again in one package?
    sadly, Hard Pass

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "