Thread: Rush On DVD

Rush On DVD

I was so pumped after seeing Rush at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, last Saturday that I went to Best Buy the next day and bought the Blu Ray Best Buy exclusive version of the Rush "R40" video box set. It will take years to get through all that video! However, I am now interested in what else that is available on DVD involving Rush. Can someone please recommend what other DVDs that are not included in the box set that are worthwhile? Any stories to tell? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

I think that box has all the official releases and that covers most of the bases. Outside of that I can think of a show from the Counterparts tour that was pro shot and occasionally makes the rounds.

I just checked out what's included on the R40 set. It's a bit confusing because there's a disparity between the Blu-Ray and the DVD versions. Since you got the DVD set that takes care of the goodies that were part of the R30 release. So really the only thing left for you is everything on the Rush Replay X3 set, which includes the Exit... Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure and A Show of Hands concert films. Pick up that and you've pretty much got it all.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Rush has a live DVD? Damn, I gotta get that!

You also need to get the documentary, "Beyond the Lighted Stage." Fantastic...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    You also need to get the documentary, "Beyond the Lighted Stage." Fantastic...
    This. Just go order it right now. You will not regret it!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Yeah, it's important to know the backstory. And you get a disc of bonus live performances from over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, it's important to know the backstory. And you get a disc of bonus live performances from over the years.
    The 1979 live clip of "La Villa Strangiato" is pretty much worth the price by itself.

And Alex ripped that shit up with a very badly bruised finger on his fretting hand too.

The Banger Brothers never fail to disappoint. Their documentaries are just the best.

I thought that was from 1978. I don't know for sure though. But yeah I was wondering what was up with that bruised finger. I actually bruised my finger probably not too much longer after that actually. I was maybe 9 or 10 and was helping move fire wood when a piece of wood jammed on my finger. Ouch. Maybe Alex was helping with firewood too. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I thought that was from 1978. I don't know for sure though. But yeah I was wondering what was up with that bruised finger. I actually bruised my finger probably not too much longer after that actually. I was maybe 9 or 10 and was helping move fire wood when a piece of wood jammed on my finger. Ouch. Maybe Alex was helping with firewood too. Who knows.

Probably is 1978. As I pass 50, I should start iirc'ing everything. Memory is the first thing to go!

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Probably is 1978. As I pass 50, I should start iirc'ing everything. Memory is the first thing to go!
    Nope, it's from 1979. I believe it was shot at the Pink Pop Festival appearance that's been widely bootlegged.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

There's also the Chronicles video collection, and the "Classic Albums" thingy on Moving Pictures and 2112. Not necessarily "essential," but enjoyable if you're a fan (probably the latter moreso than the former).
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I was so pumped after seeing Rush at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, last Saturday that I went to Best Buy the next day and bought the Blu Ray Best Buy exclusive version of the Rush "R40" video box set. It will take years to get through all that video! However, I am now interested in what else that is available on DVD involving Rush. Can someone please recommend what other DVDs that are not included in the box set that are worthwhile? Any stories to tell? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon
    I was there and I'm still gobsmacked!

You got everything released after 2003 except for the Beyond the Lighted Stage Documentary, Classic Albums (2112 and Moving Pictures making of DVD) and a handful of Neil Peart's drum DVDs which have a fair amount of Rush in them.

Pick up ReplayX3 (another live box of three concerts videos released in the 1980s-- specifically Exit...Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure, and A Show of Hands...each video is about an hour more or less)

Then all that is left is two studio video compilations Chronicles (1977-1989) and Retrospective III (1989-2008) (that was released after 2003 too I guess) which are kind of "best of videos"

That's it commercially.

If you're looking for more when you're done I've got "other suggestions" (and plenty of stories too!)

Sounds like you fell for them big time. Good luck on your journey. It's quite a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That Video clip was from the Pink Pop Festival in June 1979 (Or was it May 1979?). the whole audio of Rush's show is out there, but that's all the video from it.