Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progeny II?

Nah, you had a point. In my defence, 95% of my smart-arse comments stay untyped, and I'm aiming for 99%. I was trying to do the obvious joke before anyone else did, but tragically that still entailed doing the obvious joke.

FWIW I'm a massive and increasingly over-sentimental Yes fan, and I enjoy reading your eloquent and heartfelt posts.

Now buy me a frickin' drink.

Would love to ^

Thank you for the kind words, we do seem to actually be on he same page!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Well, you both ARE, literally, on the same page...

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Well, you both ARE, literally, on the same page...

The truth is written all along the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have heard it said many times before that this does not exist. It would be holy grail time if it did, and it is unbelievable that they didn't record any shows....
    It is surprising, but they really apparently did not....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It is surprising, but they really apparently did not....
    Is it so surprising? They had just released an almost unprecedentedly extravagant live triple-LP and had a film of their live show in the pipeline. They had to figure that the market for live Yes was pretty well covered, especially since any document of the Topographic tour would have just repeated the material from the new album and/or from Yessongs. So with no intention of releasing another live album, why would they bother taping the shows? I don't think most bands had the mindset back then that every tour should be documented just for the sake of it. A TV or radio special would have been great, but it didn't happen that tour. (Ah, but on the next tour! I've said it before, somebody NEEDS to dig up the tapes/sort out the rights to the Boston '74 show recorded for the King Biscuit Flower Hour!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've said it before, somebody NEEDS to dig up the tapes/sort out the rights to the Boston '74 show recorded for the King Biscuit Flower Hour!)
    This is available for listening on Wolfgang's Vault, though I don't know the provenance of their version. I've never been able to get a complete version of this show (and I doubt the entire show was broadcast, since the Relayer tour setlist was quite long).

For Warners, the problem with releasing either Boston '74 or Wembley '78 is that these were radio broadcasts and are not necessarily sitting in the tape vault in Los Angeles. If there is a "Progeny II", I imagine it would not be a show (or shows) that were recorded for broadcast.

Back in the '90s, the KBFH folks did a nice job of mixing and releasing entire shows from their archive, but Boston '74 wasn't among them. I imagine securing the release rights was too complex on that one--as it still might be now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Is it so surprising? They had just released an almost unprecedentedly extravagant live triple-LP and had a film of their live show in the pipeline. They had to figure that the market for live Yes was pretty well covered, especially since any document of the Topographic tour would have just repeated the material from the new album and/or from Yessongs. So with no intention of releasing another live album, why would they bother taping the shows?
    First of all, there's plenty of possibilities between recording professionally with mobile studios in 24 track and not even making a board recording or two for personal reference, documentation, etc.

You're not wrong, but I still find it a bit surprising that there was no effort at all by the band or anyone associated with the band, their management or their label to document themselves and that all that exists are fairly mediocre at best audience tapes. YMMV.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

There's no way to save any of these Big O files ? I can play them but would love to download them to itunes. I'm guessing they're on Dime but I've never had an account and it's closed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I've never been able to get a complete version of this show (and I doubt the entire show was broadcast, since the Relayer tour setlist was quite long).
    The original broadcast was a two-parter: the first week they played half an hour of opening act Gryphon (which I'd also love to see released!) and half an hour of Yes's set; the next week was an hour of Yes. So still not time enough for the whole show, but more than you would normally get on KBFH.

Quote Originally Posted by DTFan View Post
    There's no way to save any of these Big O files ? I can play them but would love to download them to itunes. I'm guessing they're on Dime but I've never had an account and it's closed right now.
    Right click save link as.. designate a folder.. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Right click save link as.. designate a folder.. etc.
    Thanks, I feel stupid. Inglewood 1974 has 3/4 of TFTO, worth feeling stupid for

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    This is available for listening on Wolfgang's Vault, though I don't know the provenance of their version. I've never been able to get a complete version of this show (and I doubt the entire show was broadcast, since the Relayer tour setlist was quite long).

For Warners, the problem with releasing either Boston '74 or Wembley '78 is that these were radio broadcasts and are not necessarily sitting in the tape vault in Los Angeles. If there is a "Progeny II", I imagine it would not be a show (or shows) that were recorded for broadcast.

Back in the '90s, the KBFH folks did a nice job of mixing and releasing entire shows from their archive, but Boston '74 wasn't among them. I imagine securing the release rights was too complex on that one--as it still might be now.
    I have the version which I recorded off the radio broadcast and also a supposedly pre-fm recording which was up on dime years ago. There's also an audience recording floating about which isn't bad at all. The only song not broadcasted was Ritual.