Thread: Goblin, Claudio Simonetti's Goblin, Goblin Rebirth, New Goblin: Sort it out for me...

Goblin, Claudio Simonetti's Goblin, Goblin Rebirth, New Goblin: Sort it out for me...

The Goblin family seems to be the most complex family tree imaginable. It seems there are three parallel groups in existence: Goblin, Claudio Simonetti's Goblin and Goblin Rebirth. There is also a group called New Goblin.

Who can sort all of this out for me? What exactly has happened to create this multi-Goblin spectacle?

And people think Yes has a complex lineup history ;-)

There's been more than just those in recent past. There are also Goblin Keys and Cherry Five in the somewhat recent past.

I didn't initially expect it, but Goblin Rebirth is actually the most enjoyable of them all for me. Their new album on Relapse is damned good.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm no help here, but that's kind of like asking to have the Gong/Mother Gong/New York Gong/Gongzilla/Pierre Moerlen's Gong/etc. family tree sorted out.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I didn't initially expect it, but Goblin Rebirth is actually the most enjoyable of them all for me. Their new album on Relapse is damned good.
    I was wondering about all these Goblins getting stuck under my feet too, but I agree the new Goblin Rebirth album is a fine piece of work.
    Some typical Goblin sounds, but a broader palette of arrangements than I was expecting.

Yeah...as much as I like Simonetti and how he helped shape "that sound" in the band...I also get the impression he's fairly disinterested in new music, outside of the odd soundtrack. Pignatelli seems to be the most interested in doing new things, with both Goblin and Goblin Rebirth.

I think the alternate synth section in Rebirth helps...they seem a bit less tethered to the past and the sound choices are pretty spot-on for the tunes.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

The main classic-period members that are still involved with Goblin today are:

Massimo Morante - guitars
    Maurizio Guarini - keyboards
    Fabio Pignatelli - bass
    Agostino Marangolo - drums
    Claudio Simonetti - keyboards

But they never seem to play together, at least since 2000's Nonhosonno (though that didn't involve Guarini).

The Wikipedia page covers who was in the various versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_(band) , but it's a bit tougher to figure out *why* there are so many versions. My theory is that Simonetti (keyboardist) doesn't get on well with Pignatelli (bassist) and/or Marangolo (drummer). I think there has often been disagreement within Goblin, even back to the mid-1970's, as to whether they should only do soundtracks or also do regular non-soundtrack albums. All of them seem willing to tour nowadays, so that must not be a big source of disagreement. Recently, Simonetti seems to often go back to Daemonia (which has no vintage-period Goblin members other than himself) when things don't work out well within Goblin for him- and now they're just being called "Claudio Simonetti's Goblin." The "Goblin Rebirth" material was started by Pignatelli and Marangolo a few years ago, back when Simonetti, Morante, and Guarini were in Goblin, and Pignatelli and Marangolo were not.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    My theory is that Simonetti (keyboardist) doesn't get on well with Pignatelli (bassist) and/or Marangolo (drummer).
    It's no theory.

I also don't get why Simonetti won't compose/record new material with Daemonia/CSG, but as we're getting new music from the other camp(s), I stopped worrying about it.

My copy of Goblin's Rebirth is on the way...tick, tock, tick, tock...

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    There's been more than just those in recent past. There are also Goblin Keys and Cherry Five in the somewhat recent past.
    Cherry Five has a new album. I've heard mixed reviews. Did you end up getting it?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Cherry Five has a new album. I've heard mixed reviews. Did you end up getting it?
    You know, I haven't. Guess I needed at least one familiar Goblin name from the recent lineups

Rebirth is damned cool. I like it more than Four of a Kind, actually.

I'm sold. Going to grab Goblin Rebirth.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    On sale at Newbury Comics for 11.88 (released here in the US on 6/30; with the new international release date of Friday, this Tuesday new release hunting habit will be difficult to break). Read some reviews...probably should cample before I buy.

I have the Goblin Rebirth album, it arrived last week, and I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

I think it all started in 2005 with the BackToTheGoblin2005 album.

The band that recorded this album then toured as Back To The Goblin for a few years.

Back to the Goblin split into Goblin Rebirth (Pignatelli and Marangola) and New Goblin (Morante & Gaurani plus Simonetti and some members of Daemonia).

During this period Goblin Rebirth recorded a new album (Around 2012-2013?)

New Goblin eventually became Goblin and toured under that name. (New Goblin released a 10" and a live album)
    Simonetti left Goblin to form Claudio Simonetti's Goblin (Which is basically his Daemonia band.)
    Pignatelli and Marangola rejoined Goblin.

This lineup recorded 'Four of a Kind' as Goblin.

I believe Simonetti thinks he *is* Goblin, which causes some friction.

However, Goblin Rebirth and Four of a Kind are both far better than the endless re-recordings Simonetti has released (Many of which are pretty poor.)

I'd highly recommend both the Rebirth and Four of Kind albums.

I'd skip the stuff by Simonetti's Goblin.
    Last edited by Harbottle; 07-02-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Complicated stuff.

The one thing this accomplished is me buying Goblin Rebirth, so thanks for that. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    Complicated stuff.

The one thing this accomplished is me buying Goblin Rebirth, so thanks for that. :-)
    Well done: Rebirth is a brilliant album and amongst the best released under the Goblin moniker since a long time, whatever members (original or not) are involved in this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I'd highly recommend both the Rebirth and Four of Kind albums.
    I just got Goblin Rebirth from Laser Edge yesterday so I have yet to play it, but I had "Four of a Kind" for a while and it is very, very good. Highly recommended.