Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You

I prefer In Hearing Of to this one, but DWBY is good, qualified album. Sleeping For Years, Seven Streets, and Nobody Else are favorites.

I think I would have preferred the studio version of the title track if it were played on this piano:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano”-John Cage

Have not figured out how to do the Youtube load to a reply yet, but am happy to see one of the bands I remember as a young man mentioned in here.

Our band has found a great set list of the great material any true prog rock fan, and any fan of excellent rock music, would enjoy to see in a live show. Awaken, Heart of the Sunrise, Firth of Fifth, Dance on a Volcano, Dogs, Pigs, Hemispheres, I lost my Head, Playing the Game, Tarkus, Bitches Crystal, In the Dead of Night, Frame By Frame, Skating Away, Birth, No Quarter, Cosmic Messenger. This is the majority of what we are working our way through right now, and I am so pleased to say we have now added this great piece from Atomic Rooster to the lists. ! This song has always been a song that envokes real emotion in me when I hear it, I remember the day, the car, the warm clean air, and the crazy trip I was on.... The road trip.....yes it was the 70's and the mind trip came later. I think it was "Red Barron" I remember snoopy. Anyway glad I survived the 70's. So for any of you old farts like me in here...; see if this geat song does not envoke a memory for you too. A haunting sort of song. It is perfect for our Show...! There are two guitars in this so we have upped the game a little and we will be adding some real nice harmony work that is not in the original recording.

its my favorite piece from AR. A dead tie with Vug for me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpvbxzRUTng
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Classic! I actually prefer this to *anything* by DHeep Zepbath.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

These guys really scratch an itch. I love the simple, Paul Kossoff-style guitar and the thick swirling Hammond. Another distinctive thing is the singing where most melodies seem to be doubled an octave apart. Very distinctive and effective! I should probably explore these guys more as I've only got a compilation. How is the record with David Gilmour on it?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    These guys really scratch an itch. I love the simple, Paul Kossoff-style guitar and the thick swirling Hammond. Another distinctive thing is the singing where most melodies seem to be doubled an octave apart. Very distinctive and effective! I should probably explore these guys more as I've only got a compilation. How is the record with David Gilmour on it?
    Not as good as the early stuff, Death Walks & In The Hearing are the peak for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ those are the two to get though I have a soft spot for the funkier Made in England.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Death Walks Behind You is my favorite Atomic Rooster album.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^ those are the two to get though I have a soft spot for the funkier Made in England.
    Yes, that one is superb too... I rate it on par with In Hearing O as their best...
    Nice 'n Greasy is quite disappointing in comparison, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I love the title track but the rest of the album is pretty lame.

Then you should check out John Cann's other bands, especially Andromeda and Hard Stuff.

^^ Thanks, I'll do that! The guy is no virtuoso, but he's got a lot of tone and character. He definitely reminds me of Kossoff.

^^ Thanks, I'll do that! The guy is no virtuoso, but he's got a lot of tone and character. He definitely reminds me of Kossoff.
    Maybe not, but as you say, a lot of character. I'm not that familiar with Kossoff(only the Free hits; I don't care much for Rodgers), but I'd much rather listen to Cann than somebody like Steve Howe, a supposed virtuoso who puts me to sleep.
    Cann was an admitted fan of Jeff Beck and Ritchie Blackmore, who he modeled his stage persona after. He passed in 2011, and the following year there was an auction of his estate, which included more than 100 guitars, 50 amps, and several mint copies of all his vinyl records.

I don't play an instrument so I don't pretend to know exactly what a virtuoso is but I do know that Du Cann absolutely fucking smokes for tone and attack on the first Hard Stuff album. This and Buffalo's Volcanic Rock are my absolute go to early 70's hard rock albums.

I listened to some Hard Stuff. Not bad, but the absence of the Hammond is really felt. I think I'll get a few Atomic Rooster records before I get Hard Stuff's two records.

Cann is okay until he tries to solo.

The first three Atomic Rooster albums are all classics as far as I'm concerned. I never did hear much from the two that followed.

This one is probably the peak, however- it fully realises their gothic approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    the BBC session version of the title song totally blows the studio recording out of the water, improved immesurably by swapping the piano for Hammond.
    Hmm, is it just me that thinks the BBC tracks on the CD are running slow...like the tape is playing at the wrong speed?

Sorry to quote from a post a year old!