Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Apple Music is Here! Meh, Get Off My Lawn (and iPhone, and iPad..)

^^ Did you try taking it a local Apple Store? They would probably take care of it for free while you wait.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The last time I was in an Apple Store, I was unimpressed with their customer service. Still, I would give it a try, but a search turns up no store in my town.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Closest Apple store to you would probably be Reno. They're only in bigger cities. We don't have one in North Dakota, I'd have to go to Minneapolis.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Well, once upon a time, Apple products were clean, intuitive, and well designed. I never had much of a problem with iTunes. I could focus on the functions I most used (ripping in discs, subscribing to podcasts, and managing my iPod) and ignore the rest. The most recent "red" iTunes is an over-desgined p.o.s. by comparison.

However, I agree about customer support. On the occasion I did need it, I was basically fobbed off onto their message boards. If I wanted help from an actual person, it was phone call I had to pay for. However, usually things have run so well, customer support hasn't been necessary.

I'm no partisan mind you. I don't feel like I have a stake in the Apple/P.C. nerdfight.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Suspended
    Here's one journalist's take on Apple Music:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-0...-taste/6590542

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I had to get itunes in order to obtain an apple account which was somehow necessary for my daughter to have a ipod. I don't use itunes, but was forced to download the program anyway.
    Yeah, I still haven't gotten over this surprise. They don't get that once you buy something, you don't really want to have much to do with the people who made it. Unless its music!

on-line streaming sucks...I want to own the physical music.

NEVER liked Apple except as an investment.

I'm not a fan of "planned obsolescence"...a business model that Apple has embraced full-on and the sheeple have not caught onto yet.

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

That's a good one, thanks.

The disappointment for me is the ‘all or nothing’ nature of this choice. I have a rather eclectic collection of music on my desktop that I don’t want to risk. iCloud Music on the desktop would likely do just that. iCloud Music on my iPhone would open up the possibility of tracks stored on the smartphone becoming corrupted and then synced back to the desktop library. But I love the discovery process of new music. I’ve been signed up to a music subscription in some form for almost ten years, and they have all been able to preserve my own music alongside the music from the service, even when they were intermingled ...

All except Apple. Since the launch of iTunes Match I have heard horror stories and seen countless examples of the matching service running roughshod over a cultivated music collection.
    Well, that's one reason I've always curated my own library. I don't mind typing the song names when ripping CDs, copying the right cover artwork into the files and so on, so of course I'd rather decide how to store & play the files than turn the job over to badly flawed algorithms.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    You can do both, y'know.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post

NEVER liked Apple except as an investment.

I'm not a fan of "planned obsolescence"...a business model that Apple has embraced full-on and the sheeple have not caught onto yet.
    Online streaming is great!

Apple does suck. I currently do not have any Apple devices, iTunes, iAnything, and have no plans to get any or sign up for any.

All my owned music is uploaded to Google Music, which allows me to stream anywhere there is WiFi.

I use Spotify to gather and listen to samples of music I might buy.

Bandcamp has a new mobile app that allows streaming of all purchases.

All the rest is on CD.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Online streaming is great!

Apple does suck. I currently do not have any Apple devices, iTunes, iAnything, and have no plans to get any or sign up for any.

All my owned music is uploaded to Google Music, which allows me to stream anywhere there is WiFi.
    Bingo.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All of these Apple haters.

Whether any of you want to admit it or not, you have all benefited in some way by Apple (and companies like them) continuing to raise the bar. Even those of you who are long-time Windows users, and have never tried the superior and more intuitive interface. The elegance Jobs and Wozniak brought to a previously cold and inaccessible technology revolutionized the experience of electronic communications more than any other innovators in recent memory, IMO. In fact, I'll go as far as saying the societal and social benefits have been huge, as well. (Not solely their doing, of course.)

That doesn't mean everything Apple has done is good for everyone. Yes, streaming has a negative impact, and they are one of many culprits. And I am a big fan of open source technology. I get that. But, the plusses have far outweighed the minuses here.

The stubbornness and the absolutes of the disdain I find to be quite silly.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Oh, and if many of you think Google is any better, just stay tuned. They are ruling most business communications, already. It's just a matter of time you hate them as much as you hate Apple.

Apple products have been nothing but fantastic for me. Never an issue that wasn't caused by my own stupidity. The Macbook Pro is the best computer I have ever owned. The thing is flawless. And paired with the iPhone...seamless. Hate all you want folks...I couldn't be happier.

I'll jump into the Apple streaming thing eventually.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    All of these Apple haters.

Whether any of you want to admit it or not, you have all benefited in some way by Apple (and companies like them) continuing to raise the bar. Even those of you who are long-time Windows users, and have never tried the superior and more intuitive interface. The elegance Jobs and Wozniak brought to a previously cold and inaccessible technology revolutionized the experience of electronic communications more than any other innovators in recent memory, IMO. In fact, I'll go as far as saying the societal and social benefits have been huge, as well. (Not solely their doing, of course.)

That doesn't mean everything Apple has done is good for everyone. Yes, streaming has a negative impact, and they are one of many culprits. And I am a big fan of open source technology. I get that. But, the plusses have far outweighed the minuses here.

The stubbornness and the absolutes of the disdain I find to be quite silly.
    The difference is that those of use who aren't Apple sheeple have only paid about 1/3 as much for our technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The difference is that those of use who aren't Apple sheeple have only paid about 1/3 as much for our technology.
    You get what you pay for.

I've made more than a half million using my Mac Pro since 2009. So, I'm in the black by a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You get what you pay for.
    Just keep believing that.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Why do people put up with apple?
    Because their technology is elegant, beautifully engineered, and just fucking works.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Agreed. Apple has made its billions by (mostly) selling dumbed-down junk. I've got no problem owning their stock, though .

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So for all you non-Apple users what is the alternative 160gb device I can switch to from my classic ipod and the alternative software, non-streaming? Im thinking I'm going to be forced to switch sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 07-07-2015 at 08:21 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just keep believing that.
    I will, because it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Because their technology is elegant, beautifully engineered, and just fucking works.
    Oh man it did until this latest release. I have had so much trouble with syncing my iPhone 6 to my iTunes library on my Macbook, it totally erased all of my meticulously curated artwork on the phone, not once but twice. I have managed to resurrect, but am scared to add any new music for fear it does it again, it has been a bloody nightmare (I have the 128gb phone so thats a lot of files). It is so unlike Apple to release something so glitchy, and I am not alone, there are many complaints online. I wonder if it is related to their wanting to own and control all content, and so not recognising any personal choices we make, be it artwork files, song names etc. If it is the latter, it might well end my support for iTunes as an interface.

I still love my Macbook and iMac though, I wouldn't want any other technology.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Apple Music is actually pretty great. The selection is massive, the streaming quality is far superior to the other services I've used, and there is waaaaay less repeatability when listening to "Band Name Here Radio." Listen to a song, play an entire album, listen to other's playlists, shuffle a single artist's discography, etc, etc. Pretty slick. The $10 a month is a fkn bargain in my view. The new iTunes does take a bit of getting used to, but it's a piece of cake once you spend a few minutes poking around.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

There's plenty of reason to hate Apple just for the damage it does, regardless of whether its stuff is elegant innovation or overpriced shit. For example:

For example:

Nine years, a trillion dollars in sales, and almost no taxes paid. That’s just the starting point for wondering about Apple’s actual contribution to the US economy. Apple’s success drags down the US GDP. The behemoth that is Apple sold almost 200M phones last year, none of which were made in the US or used components made here. Instead of exporting $100B in iPhones, the US imported $50B. That $150B swing matters in terms of balance of trade, GDP and jobs. If you wanted to improve the US economy, there’s no better place to start than with Apple and smartphones.

Apple undermines the US manufacturing base. Assembly matters and manufacturing matters more. There was a time when Apple could have assembled phones and tablets in the US, but that would mean spending an extra $5 per phone since that’s approximately the extra labor cost to build that $700 phone here instead of in Vietnam or China. Assembly may not be a competitive, value-add step but it does employ a lot of people.

Unfortunately, it would also cut Apple’s profits by $1B, shrinking the company’s annual net income from $45B to $44B. Apple wouldn’t notice a drop in profits of $1B because it’s not putting its cash to use: Apple has $200B in cash conveniently parked outside of the US, not doing anything. On the other hand, assembling in the US would employ tens of thousands of people. A bit more productive use of capital, I believe. ...

Should the US offer a $1B annual manufacturing subsidy to Apple? Well, it actually already does, except the amount is closer to $15B. As part of Apple’s ‘Zen and the Art of Freeloading,’ Apple has found arcane tax rules that funnel sales through Ireland and dodge US taxes. The Senate found that in 2011 Apple paid the IRS just $2.5B in taxes on $128B in sales. Before someone points out that Apple’s success boosts US employment by a few thousand workers, the US economy would get much more of a boost if Apple didn’t work so hard to dodge its fair share of taxes.
    Then there's their treatment of workers, which almost makes Amazon look decent by contrast.

http://consumercal.org/why-are-we-su...les-sweatshops

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...ous-chemicals/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...1-12-hour.html

Of course their streaming service is centered around leeching off the people who actually do the work. It's how they do everything. The parasite approach isn't a bug, it's a feature.