Thread: Umphrey's McGee Pays Tribute To Chris Squire

Umphrey's McGee Pays Tribute To Chris Squire

I know Umphrey's gets mixed reviews around here, but I think this is pretty cool. They paid tribute to Chris by doing Roundabout at their show last night.

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/ump...-chris-squire/

SteveSly, thanks for that. That was a very nice thing for the band to do. Nice job performing Roundabout by all.

You have to hand it to Umphrey's McGee ... good job. Music or musicians don't "live on" just by being mentioned in passing, the music needs to be played. Kudos to them for putting in some effort.

Chicago class at its best! Good for them.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Nice thanks for posting..

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Way cool.
    Chad

Yep, good boys!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Nothing like seeing wanna be hippies with light-up cowboy hats dancing to Yes.

I didn't watch the video all the way, but was there any mention of Chris' death? I've actually seen them do "Roundabout" before (I think it was the Best Buy Theater in NYC).
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Nothing like seeing wanna be hippies with light-up cowboy hats dancing to Yes.

I didn't watch the video all the way, but was there any mention of Chris' death? I've actually seen them do "Roundabout" before (I think it was the Best Buy Theater in NYC).
    No the video starts just as the song starts and ends as it ends, so their is no dialogue. Yea, probably many of the kids in that crowd were not even born when Roundabout was released. It is one of the things that I always enjoy when going to Umphrey's shows is watching young people grooving to progressive rock, and they don't even know what progressive rock is. I am actually seeing Umphrey's and Yes within a week of each other in August later in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I always enjoy when going to Umphrey's shows is watching young people grooving to progressive rock, and they don't even know what progressive rock is.
    Don't the old timers always say that back in the early 70s there was no such thing as progressive rock -- just young people enjoying the music. Maybe it's a good thing that the UM kids don't know that some people attach a label to this stuff.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Those crazy kids!!!
    The Prog Corner